General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PLEASE HELP - Car wont start, all details within

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default PLEASE HELP - Car wont start, all details within

Hey guys,

At 11:30 PM last night, my TA officially became non-running.

Here is the background info and details of my saga up untill this point.

The car i purchased had been sitting for 8 months prior to me buying it. The car is also high mileage (149k now)

When i first got the car i noticed it had a little bit of a hesitation from about 3k till about 5k or so, but would clear up once it got to 5k or so. It wasn't a miss or a studder, just as if you had backed your foot off the gas pedal about 1/3 of the way. The SES Light was on. I figured it was a combination of this miss, and the fact the car has gutted cats with o2 sims (sometimes sit off SES still)

I started out by putting a can of sea foam in the gas. I ran this tank to near empty. I then changed the fuel filter.

The car still had the hesitation. Also note... the car was fine if you just putt'd it around. Idle to about 3k it was fine, and if thats all i was doing, sometimes the SES light would actually go off after driving it this way a couple times in a row.

Next step was to hook my laptop up to it. EFI Live tells me the codes it is throwing is "Sensor 1 Bank 1 o2 sensor low voltage" and "Sensor 1 bank 2 o2 sensor low voltage"

After talking to a couple friends on the phone, we determined it was a pretty good chance this was the culprit.

Last night i replaces both o2 sensors with new ones. In addition to that, i also put new plugs and MSD wires on it, to rule out any sort of miss associated with that. I also swapped out the MAF for the "Known to be good one" off my TA (I double checked they were the exact same, and interchangable, on LS1 tech before swappig my 99 one on a 98 car). I also removed the EGR off the car, because its nothing but trouble on those cars.

Car starts right up after all this, but the SES light is still on. I drive it down the road, and the hesitation is a bit "smoother" but still doing the same thing. I figure the plugs and wires helped a little, but the underlieing problem was still definitely present.

I drive it down to my house from my grandpas, go in for a few min, etc, then go back outside to run my friend back home. I notice the car starts a tiny bit hard (normally its started before you can even turn it over, i think i heard it turn over once or twice before it fired). Kinda wierd.. but whatever... it still seems to run fine once started.

We stop at napa to grab a couple things (we both have keys, and he still works there )

We go to leave napa, and the car wont start. It turns over and turns over, nothing, not even an attempt to start.

My buddy gets out and ***** around with some stuff while i crank over. He determines it has spark. We then spray some carb cleaner down the intake, but it still wont even begin to try to start. We hear to see if the fuel pump is kicking on, it is we can hear it.

So right now im kinda at a loss and want to avoid as much trial and error as possible (this bitch needs to be on the road this time tomorrow).

Things i have in mind: Crank Sensor, Cam Sensor, Fuel Pump, Injectors.

At lunch today my buddy is gona borrow the fuel pressure tester from his work and hook it up to the schrader valve. We are also going to swap out the injectors tonight to see if that fixes it. If that doesn't fix it, im taking the crank sensor out of my Z28 and throwing it in there to see if thats the problem. The cam sensor would be a last resort because it requires pretty much removing the intake, but i will also try that i guess.

I dont think its anything mechanical within the motor. The car purrs like a kitten and holds great oil pressure.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks

Zack
Old 10-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Harder Faster Stronger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had the mustang it had shuddering problems. Tried to find the problem forever.. ended up being a couple bad injectors.

Sounds like it could also be your crank position sensor, or the reluctor wheel??
Old 10-02-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would also put this up in the like the generationIII external engine section just becasue there is more traffic in that area than this area man
Old 10-02-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Doing that now
Old 10-02-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Total curve ball just happened. My friend stopped by to check the fuel pressure, and the car holds 55psi and started right up...
Old 10-02-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

I have a 91 SHO that did this and it turned out to be a Crank Position sensor. Only mine died while driving. I had to wait like 20 mins and it started and ran for a couple days and died again.
Spark + fuel pressure = fire unless the injectors aren't adding fuel to the cylinder. It must be some sensor telling the computer not to add fuel. Have you rechecked your codes after the O2 replacement?
Also, it would be nice to know what your FP is when it won't start...
Old 10-02-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, its just kinda hit or miss.

Im thinkin about replacing both the crank and cam sensors just to have that off the list. The car has 148k miles on it now, so im sure it wouldn't hurt.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP - Car wont start, all details within