Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor mount/exhaust question help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motor mount/exhaust question help please

Hey guys first off I have searched but I can't seem to find what I am looking for. I have a 98 z with 68k miles that I recently put a set of QTP headers on it. After the install I went and had a custom y pipe and borla dumped exhaust set up. The y pipe is garbage and rattles/vibrates like crazy "I think I could have done a better job myself lol". Any how I have been planning on going else where and having a new y pipe/hanger setup built but recently I have been having other vibration issues towards the engine. I found the cause and it ended up being the headers have loosen up and are slightly touching the stock k member. So this weekend I am going to re adjust my headers and get them off my k member. My question is what if I go and have my exhaust redone and then after that I end up having to put in poly motor mounts, would it throw off the geometry of my new exhaust? I just don't want to get my exhaust fixed and then have to get new mounts because of sub frame clearance and have exhaust issues again. I am not sure if poly mounts just keep the drivetrain from twisting or if they actually change exhaust to body clearances. Thanks for any advice.

,Chase
Old 10-27-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The polly mounts will keep every thing in the same location, they just dont flex as much as the stockers. The engine wont torque over as much helping with the exhaust hitting the floor.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by conan
The polly mounts will keep every thing in the same location, they just dont flex as much as the stockers. The engine wont torque over as much helping with the exhaust hitting the floor.
Awesome that is exactly what I was asking. I am going to adjust my headers and have my y pipe/hangers redone and go with it. Thanks for the information.

,Chase
Old 12-01-2008, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

did this fix your problem? Im having the same issues.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

any negatives to the polys?
Old 12-01-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
any negatives to the polys?
I didn't notice any major problems. There's alittle more vibration but I installed mine when I built my engine and added a bigger cam, heads and a blower. So I was expecting some more rumble in the car, LOL. On the good side the engine doesn't torque over as far as it used to.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver2000WS-6
I found the cause and it ended up being the headers have loosen up and are slightly touching the stock k member. So this weekend I am going to re adjust my headers and get them off my k member. My question is what if I go and have my exhaust redone and then after that I end up having to put in poly motor mounts, would it throw off the geometry of my new exhaust? I just don't want to get my exhaust fixed and then have to get new mounts because of sub frame clearance and have exhaust issues again. I am not sure if poly mounts just keep the drivetrain from twisting or if they actually change exhaust to body clearances. Thanks for any advice.

Well there are cars like mine that the motor mounts were sagging down on the right side until I put in poly mounts, you will see that on most cars I bet.

put on the exhause AFTER the mounts since geometry yes can change, not from where it is supposed to be but back to where it is supposed to be, since the left side is the side that bangs the floor board and it lifts on that side you could get away with running the exhaust first if it is not tucked up real tight on the right side with a saggy mount like mine.

BUT mine did have 150k on it when I changed them, look at your oil pan in relation to the bottom of the K member, mine was definately not even with it, it was twisted.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 12-01-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's a good point ^^^ I guess I should have said that I only had 28k on the clock when I swaped my stockers.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i only did the drivers side mount and i didnt notice any extra vibrations at all.