Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANybody have real back-to-back H vs. X numbers/times?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 07:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ANybody have real back-to-back H vs. X numbers/times?

I like my exhaust setup as it is now a lot, but I'm just not a huge fan of the sound it has in the lower-mid rpm range (like 2-3k rpm), and I'm considering taking it to the guy that made it and having him switch the merge to an H. I don't want to lose any power or time though... so does anybody have any real back-to-back type results from an X vs an H merge? I'm not just talking guesses or speculation here, but real results.

And I guess I should ask if the H really will make that range sound better or not? I just assumed it would I guess .

Thanks guys
Old 11-29-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You must love drama.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

Oh yes . No actually I hate it, that's why I just want hard facts. lol. No opinions here if at ALL possible (about the power/times anyway).
Old 11-30-2008, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

Anybody have anything?

I read over on FordPower.net (yes I know.... ford... ick).... they were talking about the power advantage of the X pipe is only true if you use a straight through type muffler.... and if you use a chambered muffler (aka what i have) that the power advantage of the X is somehow negated. Not exactly sure why and how, but that's what they were saying...

Last edited by Speedmonster185; 11-30-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

no track times but i went from a catback to 3inch X with bullet duals and seemed to pick up some top end. changed to an H with the rest of the exhaust exactly the same and seemed to have better low end and lost some high RPM power. all else stayed the same during the exhaust changes.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hav no hard proof as far as power. When I had duals with chambered powersticks I switched from an X to an H pipe and I was very pleased with the sound difference it made. Seems deeper and softer with the H and more refined in a way....I couldnt tell any differnce seat of the pants in a power gain or loss....
Old 11-30-2008, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
no track times but i went from a catback to 3inch X with bullet duals and seemed to pick up some top end. changed to an H with the rest of the exhaust exactly the same and seemed to have better low end and lost some high RPM power. all else stayed the same during the exhaust changes.
Was the loss enough of a disappointment that you wish you wouldn't have switched?

With my stall I'm above 4900rpm nonstop after the launch, so basically top end numbers are all that matter for me as far as racing.... That's why I'm not sure. lol
Old 11-30-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Seriously man, there is a thread somewhere on here that was scanned from a mustang magazine or something. It tested an x and h pipe. The h pipe made more power all the way up to 5000ish(1-2hp), and the x pipe made more power from there up(1-2hp).

Basicly in that test there was no substantial power difference between the two.

You will get alot of people swearing they have witnessed power differences but probably none of them will be able to prove it. If someone were to tell you they picked up a mph or 2 in the 1/4 by switching, well picking up a mph or 2 will take a substantial difference in power and I just aint buying that kind of difference between the two crossovers.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Seriously man, there is a thread somewhere on here that was scanned from a mustang magazine or something. It tested an x and h pipe. The h pipe made more power all the way up to 5000ish(1-2hp), and the x pipe made more power from there up(1-2hp).

Basicly in that test there was no substantial power difference between the two.

You will get alot of people swearing they have witnessed power differences but probably none of them will be able to prove it. If someone were to tell you they picked up a mph or 2 in the 1/4 by switching, well picking up a mph or 2 will take a substantial difference in power and I just aint buying that kind of difference between the two crossovers.
Really? I've looked around a lot and haven't seen any actual charts or anything... I'll keep looking though.

Yeah, and if they were on different days then I don't count it either... that could easily be something else... air, etc. That's why whatever i find needs to be back to back.... kinda like that chart you're talking about.

Thanks for the info though btw. Thats encouraging.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

You're really not going to see a noticeable difference in hp, let alone track time difference
Old 11-30-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I found the chart. Its for a mustang but it shouldn't matter.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
Was the loss enough of a disappointment that you wish you wouldn't have switched?

With my stall I'm above 4900rpm nonstop after the launch, so basically top end numbers are all that matter for me as far as racing.... That's why I'm not sure. lol
well i went from a hooker catback w ORY to 3 inch true duals with X pipe and bullets and did feel slightly better top-end. going to the H (pipe and mufflers stayed the same) changed the sound and made it have a bit more drone inside the car. Also, my muffler placement got higher off the ground and really close together so that also could have caused the change in sound. it seemed a tiny bit different up top (slower) but that could have been my imagination i dunno.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

I went from a dual with an X-pipe to just duals with one chambers. I gained mph. I felt like I was being held back and tried it. Love the sound, BTW it was an average of 3mph and about .2 ETs in the eighth. Smaller engines benifit more with these for the street. And there are some cars running great times with the single exhaust.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tillery
I went from a dual with an X-pipe to just duals with one chambers. I gained mph. I felt like I was being held back and tried it. Love the sound, BTW it was an average of 3mph and about .2 ETs in the eighth. Smaller engines benifit more with these for the street. And there are some cars running great times with the single exhaust.
Are you talking like straight pipes after the X? You actually gained 3mph and .2 in the eighth by going from an X to straight pipes? hmm...
Old 12-01-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tillery
If you are trying to say all you did was remove the x and go to no crossover and gained 3mph thats crazy. You would have to have 20-30 more hp to pick up like that, maybe even more.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Full-Force
If you are trying to say all you did was remove the x and go to no crossover and gained 3mph thats crazy. You would have to have 20-30 more hp to pick up like that, maybe even more.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

Yes I took off the X and bullets and went with one chambers straight from my headers to the mufflers. No voodoo. And why cant you believe it? The X is a restriction anyway. Im for topend. If the X or H works for you then run it. But for me it didnt. It was a headman X-junction, mandrel bent pipes into 12 inch dynomax bullets. Im running an MS3-TSP LS6 2.5 heads, FAST 92/92 1 7/8 kooks. On a forged 347. At the track I run at, the best on 315 35 17 DR was a 8.6 @83mph. Now its 8.1@87. I know these numbers actually suck since my PB is a 7.9 in the eighth and 12.4 Quarter with a few bolt-ons. But that was San Antonio And this is Midland Texas and our air here aint to good or track prep. With the X I felt my car fall on its face and tried changing the exhaust to experiment. It worked. Next Im milling my heads for more compression since Im at 10:1 right now. So why not figure the X was costing me that power to achieve where Im at.