Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I get shafted???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn you people really let this guy have it, lol.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this could be part of a larger conspiracy

Are you sure the dealership mechanic didn't gut out your cats so that he could profit off you by selling the precious metal inside for scrap?? better pull them off and inspect to be certain.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

im really sure some tech who gets paid flat rate at a dealer is gonna take time out of his job to hollow your brand new cats out.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Plus, it's glass inside there not metal....right?

I've gutted cats..
Old 01-10-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That "dent" on the post-pipe is formed by the OEM for ground clearance... it is supposed to be there.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Launching!

good lord I said the question was answered already I didn't expect to continuously get virbally kick in the nuts by a bunch of ******** for asking a question about a dented pipe! By the way you all know alot more then I do but I don't think that the dent is there for "clearance" I think its there cause the pipe is not a mandrel bend just before it goes into the cat. And metal doesn't exactly strectch. I think it just dents naturally cause of such an extreme bend and it is on an elbow. But thats just my opinion.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

we were just messing with you man, don't take it seriously
Old 01-10-2009, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by blubox
Plus, it's glass inside there not metal....right?

I've gutted cats..
Negative

while its not a large quantity its precious metals such as platinum, palladium and/or rhodium and mostly aluminum and cerium as the base. Why do you think there are guys in the WTB section buying up as many cats as they can get there hands on? there is money to be had by scraping them.

Last edited by 69_YENKO; 01-10-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man that dent there is stock. I have no cats on my car and believe me, if your cats were hollowed, you wouldn't have to ask us. I kinda freaked out a little when I first saw that dent in my stock y-pipe, but learned it was no biggy. Hell, my 3" hooker ory had dents in it when i got it. I was pissed until I read on the directions for installing them that the dents were there for clearance.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Man that dent there is stock. I have no cats on my car and believe me, if your cats were hollowed, you wouldn't have to ask us. I kinda freaked out a little when I first saw that dent in my stock y-pipe, but learned it was no biggy. Hell, my 3" hooker ory had dents in it when i got it. I was pissed until I read on the directions for installing them that the dents were there for clearance.
I know that the dent is stock...NOW...I was just giving my opinion on how the dent gets formed coming from the manufacturer as the cats are built. I don't think its for clearance, I think "it just happens" cause thats how metal bends.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You could be right, that's kinda what I figured it was from. Believe me, the first time I saw those dents, I was like WTF!?!?!? U should just get some headers and an ory, if you don't have to worry about emissions, and have fun.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01T/A88IROC-Z
I know that the dent is stock...NOW...I was just giving my opinion on how the dent gets formed coming from the manufacturer as the cats are built. I don't think its for clearance, I think "it just happens" cause thats how metal bends.
Whoever came up with the idea to put a 1/4" deep dent in that for ground clearance is a freaking retard.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Teching In

dude they werent asked to replace the y pipe you told them cats the dent is the same dent cause they welded new cat on old pipe wake up..lol
Old 01-11-2009, 12:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jason72076
dude they werent asked to replace the y pipe you told them cats the dent is the same dent cause they welded new cat on old pipe wake up..lol
looks like new pipe to me. they are pre welded and bolted on as an assembly, not custom fitted/welded for the job. I have my stock cat sitting here in the shop and they also have that same "dent"
Old 01-11-2009, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

good lord I said the question was answered already I didn't expect to continuously get virbally kick in the nuts by a bunch of ******** for asking a question about a dented pipe! By the way you all know alot more then I do but I don't think that the dent is there for "clearance" I think its there cause the pipe is not a mandrel bend just before it goes into the cat. And metal doesn't exactly strectch. I think it just dents naturally cause of such an extreme bend and it is on an elbow. But thats just my opinion.
no name calling young man or you wont be here long....
Old 01-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Launching!

I'm not saying your theory is wrong, however metals do stretch. Example, bolts..and basically any type of metal I can think of gets stretched at one point.
Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
Negative

while its not a large quantity its precious metals such as platinum, palladium and/or rhodium and mostly aluminum and cerium as the base. Why do you think there are guys in the WTB section buying up as many cats as they can get there hands on? there is money to be had by scraping them.
Are they buying them up for what's inside them or for the actual pipe and cat it's self? Because although I could be wrong, I don't think they're buying them, gutting them, taking the guts to the scrap yard and discarding the actual pipe and car.

Which is what was suggested that the tech gutted the pipe and took the guts to the scrap yard...
Old 01-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blubox
I'm not saying your theory is wrong, however metals do stretch. Example, bolts..and basically any type of metal I can think of gets stretched at one point.

Are they buying them up for what's inside them or for the actual pipe and cat it's self? Because although I could be wrong, I don't think they're buying them, gutting them, taking the guts to the scrap yard and discarding the actual pipe and car.

Which is what was suggested that the tech gutted the pipe and took the guts to the scrap yard...
The guts is what they are recycling... We've had a lot of car dealers getting 'robbed' because of it. I guess the guts are worth more used than the cat costs new. Shortly I'll have a couple cats to recycle and will know more, but until then it's just what I hear through the wife (LEO) and etc....
Old 01-11-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

my work buys precious metals like rhodium and platinum and the prices of them went up so much that we had to raise our prices on our products to cover and we only buy in small amounts.
and to whoever suggested they may be getting something for the cat casing and exhaust pipe, that is just the dumbest thing i have ever heard.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jason72076
There was no welding done. the whole exhaust from front to back goes =>manifolds=>2 bolts=>pipe welded to cat welded to pipe=>2 bolts=>y-pipe=>clamp=>long pipe=>muffler=>dual exit pipes. Do you get it now? The cat was ordered as one piece and I used to work at the dealership. They told my they didn't like to do it cause the cats alone cost them alittle over $900. So they told me if I made the appointment I better show up. But the paranoia started cause I was first told by the manager that they were only gonna replace the exhauslt gaskets until I started asking questions.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Banned

There was no welding done. the whole exhaust from front to back goes =>manifolds=>2 bolts=>pipe welded to cat welded to pipe=>2 bolts=>y-pipe.

I took my exhaust off the car for this post