LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   anyone track test a TSP lid vs Whisper, Direct Flow, ect? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/104963-anyone-track-test-tsp-lid-vs-whisper-direct-flow-ect.html)

Slow 346 10-04-2003 08:41 AM

anyone track test a TSP lid vs Whisper, Direct Flow, ect?

Was wondering if it was worth anything at the track? Did anyone make a few passes with their aftermarket lid then switch to a TSP? Was there any gains?

Turo 10-04-2003 10:55 AM

Re: anyone track test a TSP lid vs Whisper, Direct Flow, ect?

a lid is a lid is a lid. theres been comparisons between them on a dyno and it showed minimal to no difference, so i doubt there would be any difference at the track :)

Cal 10-04-2003 11:18 AM

Yep, that's right. Just pick the one that looks the best or is cheapest . . . they're all gonna flow the same.

ULTIMATEORANGESS 10-04-2003 12:04 PM

i keep hearing conflicting stories on this.a few have said they gained 6hp with a TSP lid on the same car.if this is true its worth getting imo.

Z-Rated 10-04-2003 12:28 PM

Check out my post about the TSP vs the MTI lid. right here

WILWAXU 10-04-2003 09:05 PM

Lid is a lid. Purchase one based on price or appearence.

Colonel 10-04-2003 09:09 PM

I have personnally witnessed a direct dyno comparison between MTI's lid and the TSP lid. The numbers were virtually identical (within 1 HP.)

A lid is a lid is a lid. :)

Tudds 10-05-2003 08:21 AM

a lid is a lid except when its the stock piece of crap :D

LIL SS 10-05-2003 11:06 PM

Or your trying to get the TNT power ring to fit.. In this case, don't use a direct flow. They are not round when you cut 3/4-1 inch off the back neck.

BurnOut 10-06-2003 01:24 PM

I have an 85mm TSP lid and dyno'd it back to back against my LG Motorsports lid. Difference made: .1 hp (on a 440 RWHP car).

I like the TSP better, though, since it makes the install of the 85mm MAF so much cleaner, and the fit really is top notch.

Nice4thgenZ 10-06-2003 01:25 PM

i noticed a small difference in my tsp vs a slp

glhs379 10-06-2003 04:36 PM

I picked up almost 1 mph with my TSP versus my old slp lid.

Silvr98z28 10-06-2003 05:06 PM

Absolutely no dif on the track between TSP and Whisper.
I have also track swapped a ported Holley intake vs a LS6 which also made no dif. No more than 1 hour between runs and no tire spin to skew results.

unstable Vic 10-06-2003 07:02 PM

well, just what I thought. So much for the superior design. vic

BlackFormula01 10-06-2003 09:11 PM

So is TSP lieing when they say that their lid gain 7 hp on some other aftermarket lids?

WILWAXU 10-06-2003 09:57 PM

So is TSP lieing when they say that their lid gain 7 hp on some other aftermarket lids?

Nope. not lieing. They saw a gain of 7hp on one car. Just remember, dyno correction is about + - 5hp ;) Long story short, your results may vary ;)

Ebbsnflows 10-07-2003 11:39 AM

I wondered the same thing (as I was a bit skeptical of the claims)...so I PERSONALLY dyno tested the TSP lid vs my Whisper lid. On back to back dyno's (about 5 minutes apart, or the amount of time it took me to swap lids and connect the sensors)...the TSP lid made .4 hp LESS than the whisper lid (the loss is probably due to heat or dyno variations). BTW...this is on a 230/224 Cam car making 392 rwhp.

I've said it before, I'll say it again....A lid is a lid is Lid!! I'm not slamming the TSP lid as it is a very nice piece. But buy it for price or cosmetics, not power gains.