Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To header or not to header

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To header or not to header

Let me start off with this:

I am no stranger to headers. My last two cars have had them. One was a 1985 Monte Carlo SS with a 400 ci small block swapped in. The other was a 1997 Firebird Formula with the LT1 and 6 speed.

On both cars, I had issues with headers. Not installation but chasing leaks CONSTANTLY.

However, I am thinking of headers for my new car - 2002 Z28, LS1 with a 6 speed. I am still aware of my old experiences and very apprehensive towards this idea, but I like the power, so therein lies the conflict.

My car sees 200-300 miles per week, and needs to be reliable. My car sees all types of environments (rain, snow, hot temperatures, cold temperatures). I would like to pass emissions as well (part of the whole reliable, trouble free kick). Should I go after longtubes? Any other type of header, in my view, is not worth my time.

What is the best way to about installing them? Whats the best gasket to use? Do I need higher quality motor mounts? Any input is good here. Thanks guys.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
Let me start off with this:

I am no stranger to headers. My last two cars have had them. One was a 1985 Monte Carlo SS with a 400 ci small block swapped in. The other was a 1997 Firebird Formula with the LT1 and 6 speed.

On both cars, I had issues with headers. Not installation but chasing leaks CONSTANTLY.

However, I am thinking of headers for my new car - 2002 Z28, LS1 with a 6 speed. I am still aware of my old experiences and very apprehensive towards this idea, but I like the power, so therein lies the conflict.

My car sees 200-300 miles per week, and needs to be reliable. My car sees all types of environments (rain, snow, hot temperatures, cold temperatures). I would like to pass emissions as well (part of the whole reliable, trouble free kick). Should I go after longtubes? Any other type of header, in my view, is not worth my time.

What is the best way to about installing them? Whats the best gasket to use? Do I need higher quality motor mounts? Any input is good here. Thanks guys.
if you need to pass emissions, as long as you keep all the emissions equipment, you will be ok. (including cats). but hope they dont do a visiual, if they do, your cats will be noticed, (they cant move from the stock location.)

i had long tubes on my car, with TSP true duals, and i never had a problem. drove it 30k a year. i suggest getting stainless headers tho, if its going to see snow and ****. my pacesetters coated rusted in about a year and a half.

as far as gaskets, i used fel-pros from autozone. never had a leak.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hear you on chasing down leaky headers, I was doing that all the time with my LT1. With my LS1 I've had them on for about 2,500 miles and I haven't had any problems yet. I just used the generic header gaskets from Advance, put some antiseize on the bolts and torqued them to 15 ft lbs starting with the bolts in the front and the back, then torqued the middle bolts. After I had them all torqued, I went back and tightened them to 18 ft lbs. It's a little extra work but it helps mash the gasket evenly.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran headers on my '02 Z28 daily driver for 5-6 years with no problem. I wouldn't worry at all about reliability, but go with some better quality jobs so they don't rust out on you - and they'll have better fit. Headers will cause you to throw codes, but any tuner can disable them. Go for it, its a must do mod.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 01 ss and the previous owner put slp longtubes, slp high flow cats, slp y pipe and loudmouth on it. and coming from my old 93 lt1 i love the full exhaust setup. it sounds great and performes amazing.
my car sees 300-400 miles a week in utah weather! and my headers are holding up great, a little bit of leaking at the collectors but im working them out slowly but with headers you will always more than likely get a cel, i did and we have strict emmissions here, so for now i just got some o2 sims to shut off the light until i can get it tuned.
but with the y pipe i do get alot of banging under the drivers side floor and it drives me nuts!!! everytime i get on it, it bangs so im in the process of doing poly motor mounts and hopefully that stops the banging!!?
but overall i think it is the best mod for a stock motor im glad someone already did the labor for me but reliability was an issue for me im in the same conditions and mine is working great thus far. i say go ahead and pull the trigger on some lt's you wont regeret it!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

To be...
Old 01-22-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bigjohn450
i have a 01 ss and the previous owner put slp longtubes, slp high flow cats, slp y pipe and loudmouth on it. and coming from my old 93 lt1 i love the full exhaust setup. it sounds great and performes amazing.
my car sees 300-400 miles a week in utah weather! and my headers are holding up great, a little bit of leaking at the collectors but im working them out slowly but with headers you will always more than likely get a cel, i did and we have strict emmissions here, so for now i just got some o2 sims to shut off the light until i can get it tuned.
but with the y pipe i do get alot of banging under the drivers side floor and it drives me nuts!!! everytime i get on it, it bangs so im in the process of doing poly motor mounts and hopefully that stops the banging!!?
but overall i think it is the best mod for a stock motor im glad someone already did the labor for me but reliability was an issue for me im in the same conditions and mine is working great thus far. i say go ahead and pull the trigger on some lt's you wont regeret it!

Yeah, and thats the problem.. I have these manifolds.. and they work GREAT...

THATS my conflict.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

have had header for like 3 years now with no leaks. you need to use new gm manifold gaskets they seem to work the best and most have a slip fit collector so leaks shouldn't be any problem there.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys are running mid 11's with bolt-ons through stock manifolds and Y.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
Guys are running mid 11's with bolt-ons through stock manifolds and Y.
what else are they doing?

cam?

weight reduction?

theres only so many tricks...
Old 01-22-2009, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

3500 lbs. That's not much lighter than mine bone stock. Converter and full bolt-ons. Check them out in the 11's section here.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
3500 lbs. That's not much lighter than mine bone stock. Converter and full bolt-ons. Check them out in the 11's section here.
so basically full weight? so.. what did they do?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Converter, take out weight not needed, tires, lid, tune, free mods, ported TB, cutout and good weather.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/11-second...manifolds.html
Old 01-22-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

I'd say it depends on if you have a tuner around too.

I'm going to hold off on mine till I can take a week vacation to drive to Texas and have texas speed or someone tune it. Can't just do that on a whim, and 3000 miles round trip is a long as way for a tune, so... Gotta wait.

(and no, there's not a single tuner anywhere near Denver I'd trust).
Old 01-23-2009, 05:42 AM
11 Second Club

Mail order
Old 01-23-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

well the overall goal of the car is not that involved. i want to be as daily driver friendly as possible as i really like driving it around.