Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPIS 90mm LS6 Intake Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS1-450,
I couldn't word things any better...you are exactly right about the FAST.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HavATampa
The original 90mm Fast intakes have problems with the MAP (not MAF) sensor hole not sealing real well. They have since fixed this issue on newer models I hear. I found out after I installed the intake last night the reason the TB opening is angled up so much is to clear the water pump.
Ah i see now y its angled good looking out man.....kinda sticks now that i see that i wonder if my ls2 intake with its 90mm tb mount will even fit on my car anymore and what i will have to do to make it work....i went with the ls2 because i dont have a ls6 intake and i bought the ls2 intake for 100 and ive herd epoxy ported it can out do a FAST and seemed cheaper than buying a used ls6 and sending it too tpis.....if my car came w a ls6 i would probly do the same as HavATampa.

And as for everyone butting heades about the FAST I agree w LS1-450 he so right matching stuff up is the way to go and if everyone on here thinks the bigger the runner size lets just take a 8 55 gal drums and use them for runners and lets see the results lol.

Last edited by 1999FirehawkLS1; 02-26-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

bringing this thread back to life.

hey, HavATampa and BlackNiteWS6-
are you both happy with this TPiS modded intake?
will the weight of the TB put any stress on the "weld"?

i am considering this, and am trying to gather more info, especially from those who have it, like you.

Thanks in advance for your time!
Old 04-02-2009, 01:16 AM
10 Second Club

Not that i've seen...the TPIS intake looks very professsionally done. I was expecting it to look cheesey for somethink. But the way they cleaned it all up it looks very very nice . Plus is not only less expensive it just plain looks like a well thought out mod. I give a big thumbs up!! And if ANYONE post that it looks bad had neither seen in person or drove in a car with it installed. Just an i was skeptical at first until i installed one and just checked the tune after the install i was very impressed by the workmanship and how much gained it made i became a true believer. Even though its a hybrid it 's a better mod than the FAST 90/92 and now the 102 Big Mouth!!! WHat next?? Next the FAST 110cc intake..lol. They already have little low end torque now...I would guess the 102mm is intake in for 427+. But time will tell I guess.
Good luck to all.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1999FirehawkLS1
Ah i see now y its angled good looking out man.....kinda sticks now that i see that i wonder if my ls2 intake with its 90mm tb mount will even fit on my car anymore and what i will have to do to make it work....i went with the ls2 because i dont have a ls6 intake and i bought the ls2 intake for 100 and ive herd epoxy ported it can out do a FAST and seemed cheaper than buying a used ls6 and sending it too tpis.....if my car came w a ls6 i would probly do the same as HavATampa.

And as for everyone butting heades about the FAST I agree w LS1-450 he so right matching stuff up is the way to go and if everyone on here thinks the bigger the runner size lets just take a 8 55 gal drums and use them for runners and lets see the results lol.

I agree...the way FAST tries to fix the problems is to throw for mm's to the opening to the TB and TB opening cause they know people only look at big numbers and numbers sell Now they got a FAST 102mm intake?? Oh come on!!! There's so many other issues that a larger TB opening is gonna make the other issues better??? LOL. Give it a break...They love selling to guys that think bigger is better...lol. Even a 427, unless blowned, doesn't need an intake that large. For godssake there's LS6 intakes running in the 10's n/a with the right setup. I've read a few guys that went from a 11.3x to 11.4x just by adding a FAST 92/92 TB and even after fine tuning the PCM..lol. Thats not to good for his $1,200 investment. Not gonna do good at the track at all. That all comes down to loosing tq. in the whole rpm band. It's a govenor not a mod!!! **** i rather use the cash for ARH's or as a start for TFS heads. Just a thought.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jegten

Replied to your PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Replied to your PM.
got it!
thanks for the thorough response!
i am just trying to do things without spending a lot of money (that i don't have. )
and, even if the top end is not ideal, but the lower part is, then that's what i am looking for.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Teching In

How do i get one of those intakes
Old 04-03-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vegas28
How do i get one of those intakes
www.tpis.com

I'm putting mine on tomorrow. I bought an extra LS6 intake and sent it in as a core so I wouldn't have any downtime. When I got it back I sanded it smooth, ground off the tabs on the sides, filled them with JB weld, and smoothed EVERYTHING. Then I lightly ported inside the intake, removing any rough spots, cleaned it, painted it, and I'm installing it this weekend. I'll post some pics when I'm done.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

^^ Good luck on your intake. Even though i'm stock for now i want to hurry up and send my LS6 intake in since it would be my luck that TPIS would stop doing the intake mod when i'm ready..lol. So i think i just better get it done ASAP just incase plus its only $350. And i think they offer an adapter so you can reuse the stock TB. Then buy a 90mm TB in the future when i'm ready. But as i mentioned in the past the TPIS modded LS6 intake even works great on a 427cid. And what i like is that unlike the FAST there's no chance of the TPIS LS6 intake of leaking under boost or even splitting under boost. To me this intake seems to work on stock cube motors as well as modded and larger cube and FI motors. This is the only intake that you'll ever need. I know i was skepical when i first read about it, until i installed one and was totally surprised how much of a difference this thing made.
Especially on a 346 stock bottom end LS1 with ported 853's and the old Comp. 218/224 .527/.535 114lsa cam with Mac headers and Borla CB. What surprised me the most was even how good it worked in the lower rpms and was even better at 6,700 rpm!!!
Just to be fair i cant come up with a single complaint about this puppy. It retains all your low end power and torque just like the stock LS6 intake yet adds great power across the whole rpm band. And the $350.00 cost is more than worth for what you get. I envy my buddy's car now..lol. And when i saw the FAST intake at the 2003 SEMA show i thought it was cool as hell looking. But the people at the FAST booth acted like they didn't know a damn thing about the intake..lol. I read all the articles about it way before the show and i was dying to buy one. Then i started reading all the write ups about the 78mm version and i think it was Thunder Racing was one of the only shops in the USA that were showing any gains. That got me worried since i was within an inch of ordering one. Then Thunder told me to hold off and buy the 90mm version. And the issue was basically the same, alot of shops were doing everything under the sun to post up real gains that would justify the cost....but then i realized that if you cant just install one and lower your ET's by atleast 2 tenths for the $1,200 for the intake and TB and the hell with it. Then on top of that spend even more to have it ported just to see any real gains at the track then **** it's just plain BS!!! And i've done everything from doing a search on 2 different sites and even placed a post asking people how much did they shave off their ET by adding something that cost well over $1,300+ for very very little gains in your ET. Thats just plain crazy. I cant imagine spending that much and taking the chance of adding a blower and having my intake leak or crack and finding that my MAP might pop out and see that i didn't hardly gain squat at the track since i dont dyno race Not would i take it off my car but just to let FAST know what i thought about their intake i would still fill it with gas, light it and throw an M80 in it and blow it up then ship it back with a letter telling them what i think of their POS...LOL. But hey its only $1300...and i got a money tree in the back yard, so what the heck

Last edited by BlackNiteWS6; 04-03-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:23 PM
10 Second Club

Yop, Mike94ZLT1 is right...just go to TPIS direct. And talk to them about the intake.
They'll help you with any questions you have. Also take a look at Lingenfelter's site as well...they do a comparo between the FAST intake and the TPIS modded LS6 intake on a 427cid LS based engine, and the comparo shines some interesting light on the 2 intakes.
And Lingenfelter sells both intakes so there's no bias only true facts.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:00 AM
10 Second Club

^^Damn, you da man!!! That looks really good!! I've always called the LS1 the ugly
duckling...lol. After seeing an LS1 without the Corvette engine covers its butt ugly..haha.
Thats probably why GM made covers for the Vette. They knew that if someone spent all that money when the new C5 come out in 1997 they knew they needed to help make the motor look better then it was..LOL. But as usual Chevy knew us F-body guys weren't buying the LS1 F-body for its underhood looks...they knew we were only interestedd in the power But i knew a few Mustang guys that made mention on how ugly the LS motor looked until they got smoked by one then they completely forgot what it looked and some went out and traded their mustang for either a SS or a WS6..LOL. Gotta love it.
But you did an excellent job on your intake. It looks perfect. Oh i wanted to add that i like that you used a paint that has shine to it.
Way better than a plain flat black...I think i'm gonna do that after i get it back from TPIS. But i'll post that i got the idea
from you so people dont think i came up with it myself, i'm not that creative...LOL. Very nice boss!!!
Old 04-04-2009, 03:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by teke184
"A 92/92 FAST will not out perform a 90mm LS6 intake on stock & mild cams up to 6300 RPM, under the curve."

so explain why i gained 10hp and 10lbft of torque at 3500rpm with my ported FAST 90/90....on my stock headed 233 cam only car??

yeah...that was over the LS6 intake and ported TB....not the 90mm ls6...but still.

will have the dyno graph up in a few days...gotta scan it.

i lost NO power under the curve.

"The FAST is the correct intake for guys of whom want max peak HP on stock cubes reving to 7000 RPM & beyond. The FAST is also the correct intake for the greater than 346 stock cubes looking for peak HP while reving to 7000 RPM & beyond."

and i gained about 18hp in the peak.....oh yeah...and it peaked at 6300rpm....

didn't need to rev any higher than 6400 or so. so much for you 7000rpm theory.

I was going over these post recently...here's a question i wanted ask you?
What times did you run after the FAST intake and TB install? Did you lower your ET's at all? The guy that posted after you actually lost a full tenth even though he gained mph. The main cause of that is torque lost in lower rpms. And dyno numbers dont mean a thing. A true mod shows up in the real world like ET. Plus a dyno does not put the same load on a car like driving does. The dyno can't simulate things like drag, which a car sees when its accelerating down the track. The car just sits there on a dyno. Theres no drag from the air pushing on the cars body like there is at the track. Thats why i tune my car on the track or the street since its under load. A dyno can't account for that so the tuning is alittle different. But do u have track times before and after the FAST install? But thats how i can explain your 10 hp gain at 3,500 rpm. On the street or track that 10 hp would be swallowed up by drag.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:46 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jegten

hey, HavATampa and BlackNiteWS6-
are you both happy with this TPiS modded intake?
will the weight of the TB put any stress on the "weld"?

i am considering this, and am trying to gather more info, especially from those who have it, like you.

I'm sure by now you probably talked with TPIS...But if you still need anymore
info. feel free to post or PM me. I'd be glad to help anyway i can. And from reading the other guys that post in this thread they are very smart and i know they can also help you out as well. Take care.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why arent you subtracting the 300-350 for the ls6 intake when getting the tpis? i have an ls6 intake, i could sell that for almost the price of the 90mm ls6 intake, and sell the tb, and only have the 90mm tb to buy. right? numbers and track times determine whether its worth it to get the intake. if there is a 10hp gain, not really worth it imo....

Originally Posted by teke184
not what i was expecting

as for cost comparison (cost new from TSP):

92mm FAST Intake Manifold with PTM 92mm Throttle Body = $1100
subtract $300-350 for the ls6 intake
subtract $50-100 for the stock throttle body (depending on if its ported)

total for a FAST setup is $650-750 out of pocket

cost for TPIS modified manifold is $350
plus the cost of the 90mm TB $350-400
minus the $50-100 for the stock TB

total for the modified setup is $600-700 out of pocket.

i'll chose the FAST...especially since it has the option to port
Old 10-10-2015, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Um this thread is 6 years old man.

102 Fast is best you can do on LS1 or 6 mild or heads cam na. You gain a little weight though. TB opening is a big reason why
Old 12-26-2015, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1999FirehawkLS1
One thing about the TPIS is how they mounted his tb mount at an upware angle so when the air goes in its going to bounce back up b4 going into the runners
Is that good or bad?
Old 12-29-2015, 09:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Ls6 intake sucks.

The TPIS mod does alleviate some of its issue.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

I was thinking going tpis 90mm ls6 intanke with NW 90mm throttle body.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by firechicken76
Why arent you subtracting the 300-350 for the ls6 intake when getting the tpis? i have an ls6 intake, i could sell that for almost the price of the 90mm ls6 intake, and sell the tb, and only have the 90mm tb to buy. right? numbers and track times determine whether its worth it to get the intake. if there is a 10hp gain, not really worth it imo....
because you don't get a modified intake for $350, it costs $350 to modify it

waste of time, especially with how cheap used Fast 90/92 are in the classifieds...get the intake with better runners to start with

the Fast doesn't gain HP because its 90mm, it gains HP because of plenum volume and runner shape

Quick Reply: TPIS 90mm LS6 Intake Pics