Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery connector on the engine harness black 5 pin. No fuel long story... lol

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 04:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mystery connector on the engine harness black 5 pin. No fuel long story... lol

So I need some help guys! I got a 2001 5.3L GMC Sierra I am working on. It blew a headgasket and I have been slowly getting it back together over the winter. I ditched the engine cover and shaved the stuff off the top of the manifold and fiberglassed it up all nice, semi wire tucked it, bla bla bla. I got a killer deal and got the truck for $800 so I'm just sprucing her up and DDing it!

But here's the problem. I got everything wired up today all the accesories on, etc... But when I went to fire it up it turns over but the fuel pump never kicks on. I had to be somewhere tonight so I couldnt check for spark or injector pulse.

The only lead I have is a black 5 pin connector on the passenger side of the engine near the rear of the engine. The wires go into the connector at a 90 degree angle, not straight into the back of the connector like most pigtails. It seams as if it would plug in somewhere around the cam angle sensor but the CAS is allready plugged in, and the oil presure sending unit so what could this go to??? I deleted all the emmissions stuf but I don't remember any emmisions stuff in that area of the engine.

Could I be missing any grounds? Offhand I have the main ground from the battery to cassis and engine block/ chassis to engine block/ ground on the drivers side head that comes out of the engine harness/ and the 2 small gauge wires coming out of the engine harness grounded on the passenger head.

I know I will tell a lot more when I check for spark and injector pulse but Im just getting to bed now So I wont be up til 12 or 1 so hopefuly someone can shed some input on this for me to see when I wake up so I can get her fired up, then it's off to get painted!
Old 01-25-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crank Position Sensor? It could also allow for the fuel pump to not kick on since it's not
seeing a tach signal.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a friend with a 5.3 truck. It was for the EGR... I didn't get in the garage today. Hopefuly it's something stupid like a ground.