Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: TDs vs an ORY w/Dual Cutouts - Which sounds better?
True Duals
50.00%
ORY w/Dual Cutouts
50.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

TDs vs ORY w/Dual Cutouts

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDs vs ORY w/Dual Cutouts

Obviously I'm trying to decide which to do here. The car has Stock headers, an ORY, an LM1 right now. Here are the 2 Options I'm debating doing:

- LTs, TSP TD package (most likely dumped)

---or---

- Stock headers, ORY, Dual cutouts on the Y, quiet Catback (for around the popo)

I'm trying to make the car louder and sound as mean as possible. If I get some performance gains, I wouldn't mind it. I have a feeling I know what the consensus is going to be but I figured I'd ask just to make sure. I've already exhausted all of the clips on LS1sounds.com. Most of those cars are cammed so it doesn't give a true hint at what my car might sound like.

Thanks for anyone who submits thoughts.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Oh yea, money. You can post up what you think is the best bang for the buck.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Will sound or drone ever bother you?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

if you are worried about cops, and want to have a quiet car sometimes, go with a ORY pipe and electric cutout/cutouts. This way, you can go from loud to quiet with a flip of the switch. I'm going to set up something similiar soon. I just can't get rid of my Corsa exhaust lol
Old 03-09-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is an easy one. Get the long tubes, an H pipe, two mufflers (Borla XR-1, Flowmaster single chambers, Hooker Aerochambers, etc, and dump them near the axle

I run a setup similar to this on mine (MAC mids, two Flowtech Raptors, H pipe dumped on the passenger side at the rear axle) and I don't get any annoying drone on the highway/interstate, and that's with a 3 speed. Duals should have been the first thing I did to mine, I can't stand Y pipe setups
Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00cls1camaross
Will sound or drone ever bother you?
Drone only gets me when my girlfriend is with me and we're one a highway. When I'm alone it doesn't phase me (thank you Monsoon).
Old 03-09-2009, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Siphon
if you are worried about cops, and want to have a quiet car sometimes, go with a ORY pipe and electric cutout/cutouts. This way, you can go from loud to quiet with a flip of the switch. I'm going to set up something similiar soon. I just can't get rid of my Corsa exhaust lol
The cops around here are horrible. They pulled me over for my front tag missing. They are hard-up for any action so they pull people over for doing 2-3 over the speed limit. It's only because of the cops that I have to debate this question... otherwise it would be TDs i think.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

DUAL CUTOUTS...wish I could..too low though.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

get the dual cutouts, you can't lose its the best of both worlds and you get to choose when you want either.

On a side note, if you're this concerned about flow when it comes to true duals or dual cutouts nothing will help you more then LT's. Maybe you're not that concerned about flow but if thats a concern at all spend the 400$ and get some Pacesetter LT's they will give you a MUCH better sound too.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bouvs
get the dual cutouts, you can't lose its the best of both worlds and you get to choose when you want either.

On a side note, if you're this concerned about flow when it comes to true duals or dual cutouts nothing will help you more then LT's. Maybe you're not that concerned about flow but if thats a concern at all spend the 400$ and get some Pacesetter LT's they will give you a MUCH better sound too.
I'm leaning towards the cutouts with LTs, an ORY, and quiet catback... I think I need the option of flipping from one to the other when the cops are around.

It's so hard to decide! This will be the 4th setup since I've had the car... hopefully the last.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jscotty
I'm leaning towards the cutouts with LTs, an ORY, and quiet catback... I think I need the option of flipping from one to the other when the cops are around.

It's so hard to decide! This will be the 4th setup since I've had the car... hopefully the last.
It's the best of both worlds. I had TD's and they were great and all, but always loud. Too loud after awhile. I swapped back to an ORY with SLP Dual/Dual and a DMH E-cutout, and it's absolutely perfect. The catback sounds great, but very tame and quiet. Flip the switch, and it's louder than the duals ever were. Plus, choppy cam and open cutout is .

On a side note, I ran .3 and 3 MPH faster once I swapped to the catback. I'm not saying the swap alone was worth that much time, but weather conditions were almost identical. The only difference on the car was the front swaybar was removed and there was about 1/4 tank less gas on the faster run.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

I was thinking of doing the ory with dual cutouts too, but it just seems more expensive than it's worth. Especially since I would want e-cutouts
Old 03-10-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

I see you're in MD too, there are cops all over germantown where I'm at. I'd say get the cutouts so you can control the volume when cops are around and open it up when they're not.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

I've got LT's and offroad y pipe with a magnaflow and I've never had any problems with being pulled over for being too loud....knock on wood...lol.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Johns00Z28
I've got LT's and offroad y pipe with a magnaflow and I've never had any problems with being pulled over for being too loud....knock on wood...lol.
It's the damn cops in Rockville. I live in Olney (I'm sure you know where it is since it's in the same county). They pull me over for everything in Rockville, and I don't even speed there!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

The poll was for which sounds better, and I think if you just listened to the two setups, most true duals are gonna sound better! My sig will tell you Im a little biased I just picked up the duals today, but in Indiana cops dont really car about anything, I ran with my cutout open always on my current setup and never was bothered...I think you are gonna have some clearance issues with the dual cutouts unless you get the low profile oval ones and this is gonna be much more expensive route then the duals.

Either way you go though get some longtubes
Old 03-10-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jscotty
It's the damn cops in Rockville. I live in Olney (I'm sure you know where it is since it's in the same county). They pull me over for everything in Rockville, and I don't even speed there!
Yeah I've driven my car there and haven't had any problems...at least at Hooters...lol.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive got dual cutouts right now, and am really considering going to duals. main reason is im just tired of the cutouts. they sounded awesome and everything but they leak and come loose and flutter all the time now. Ive had them for a little more than two years, so i cnat complain too much, but i would really enjoy an h-pipe with single chamber flows...

i am going tommorow to get a price quote on a dumped setup like i described above, and if its around the saem price as the electric cutouts im gonna need to replace, i may just go that route
Old 03-12-2009, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

this isn`t one of your optoins but how about 3 inch into a flow master merge pipe with 4in to a cut out with 3in over the axle to a quiet muffler(i`m thnking magna flow or slp dual dual for mine) patric g used in his "recipy for 500 hp" and a friend of mine has it and it seems to make nice power and has decent ground clearence. if not that the tsp true duals just looks sick
Old 03-12-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Johns00Z28
thats probably because its not loud...
im runnin 1 7/8 kooks, td dynomax bullets with an ORX and its all 3in pipe mandrel bent and dumped. i love it. the best is when you pull up at stop lights and old women role their windows up cause they cant stand it!