Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a engine, need parts, wheres the VIN?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just bought a engine, need parts, wheres the VIN?

Hey I just bought a L33 from an 05 truck. I want to replace the head gaskets before using the engine but the local dealership will only sell me parts if I have a Vin to reference. Where would I find the Vin on my engine?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bHH BUY FROM A SPONCER OR SEARCH A LITTLE AND GET IT FROM GMPARTSDIRECT
Old 03-12-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

usually you can get the VIN of the vehicle from the place you bought the engine from.. check your receipt, it might be on there.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yeajimi
Hey I just bought a L33 from an 05 truck. I want to replace the head gaskets before using the engine but the local dealership will only sell me parts if I have a Vin to reference. Where would I find the Vin on my engine?
The engine has the last 6 digits of the vin on it.
You can usually piece the rest together if it's a popular vehicle and you can reverse the vin breakdown. The only problem is the check digit, thats just a random number or letter thrown in there that somehow goes with the rest or not.
Without that it's useless to a dealer.
I've done a detailed search on autotrader.com to get a vin listing for a similiar vehicle and gave them that.

And BTW, the dealers that ask for the vin usually assume your stupid or they don't know what the hell they're doing.
We have a road of dealers here, when one asked all these BS questions, just go next door to the other one, most of the time they have the part on the counter in less time than you spent asking the other one wtf they need a vin for.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are 100% sure its an L33 engine then its going to look like this.

Head gaskets are 12498544 - $28.95 for the set.
Head bolts are - 17800568 x 2 - $45.90 for the set.

Then you may be looking at new intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets...maybe. depends on how bad they look.

I have all those in stock. shipping would be fairly low due to the low price of the parts and the light weight. only thing that is different is if it is an LM7 it has head gaskets. the L33 gaskets are the same as for an 02 and up ls1/6 which is why they come in a head gasket set instead of individually
Old 03-12-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What the hell? I have never herd of an autoparts store asking for the vin number. I would just go to another store.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

^^^^dealership not auto parts place. dealerships suck *** btw.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really take offense to that.

Honestly you would be surprised how many different shocks GM lists for a 95 chevy 1/2 ton with a V6, 2wd, auto trans, white with red interior.

Vin helps alot, but if the parts/dealership guy is worth his salt, he will not be completely helpless. If there is only one part for all, then hey it must be that part huh?
Old 03-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Crazytown69 - I will never deal with GMpartsdirect again. Have you ever tried getting a hold of them? I bought a dipstick, block plug and tube and it took 3 weeks to ship just the dipstick. They invoiced and charged me for th whole order then deleted my back order. I needed to go through my CC company to get my money back, plus I never recieved an email or call back.

Hey John, I bought a clutch kit from Scoggin Dickey a couple months back. I delt with Marty and it was a great experiance.

As far as ordering the parts, I work for an ADI so I just fished around from dealership to dealership seeing who would A) order me the parts & B) give me the best price.

So they are on order and I should see them early next week. Once they come in I will check them against what is already there and hopefully that will be the end of that.