Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASP pulley horror story (well.. almost :))

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ASP pulley horror story (well.. almost :))

I was almost one of those horror stories today.

I was using the autozone pulley (chrysler style) and the part that goes into the crank snout wasn't long enough. I called up ASP thinking I had the wrong puller and they said to use a bolt or whatever to make up the room. So I thought.. ok, I'll do that. So I put a small bolt down in the crank and pull off my pulley. Comes off without any issues. So then I go to remove the bolt...

Nope, not budging. I tried sockets, sockets with tape, magnets, picks, screwdrivers, augers. Nothing.

So.. I bust out the right angle drill as my last resort and start drilling the bolt head. I drilled for about an hour, cleaned up the hole with a magnet and got a tap and dye set out. I put some threads in the hole I just made in the bolt, went to lowes and got a bar that was just 5/16ths x 18 thread with no head on it. I got some nuts and a small wood block and I had my very makeshift bolt puller.

So I got my bolt puller all set up and ready. No lie.. one full turn on the nut and it just popped right out.

The rest of the install went through like nothing after that.

******* bolt set me back 8 hours.

Pictures!

Old 07-15-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone should have taken a little more time on the crank pulley for these cars, they seem to take so much effort compared to other cars. My crank pulley set me back 3 days when I did it good job getting that thing out.