Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 to V8 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default V6 to V8 conversion

I picked up a cheap firebird and was wondering whats it gonna take to swap a ls1 over. I have a engine and trans crossmember, 99 ls1 harness, pcm and speedometer.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

You don't need the speedo unless you want the extra mph.. if you do switch to the ls1 speedo, your airbags won't work without doing some pin work..

You'll need Ls1 springs for the front, because with the v6's it will sit pretty low.

All accessories on the Ls1, the k-member, headers, radiator, you can reuse your driveshaft.. It's been a while so I'm trying to remember, but I think that's about it.

It's a good time to put on headers before dropping the body on the motor. Also, LS6 intake, boxed or tubular rear lowercontrol arms.

Also, you'll need an adjustable Torque Arm because your pinion angle will be off.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

I have my stock shocks, and my front springs are still attached to the front shocks if you are interesed. They came off my WS.6 at 54k.

I will let them go for 75+shipping

You already have most of the expensive parts, but all the little things will start to add up, especially if you are keeping the AC.

Keep an eye in the lsx parts section to pick up your accessories.