Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lookin' to get exhaust... few ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lookin' to get exhaust... few ?'s

I am looking to get a full exhaust install done here pretty soon. I'm still deciding on headers (think i'm going with kooks) and whether to go true duals with stainless steel piping or do a y-pipe with a nice catback. At any rate, my question is, I would like to know the reasons to use 02 sims vs not and the reasons for keeping the a.i.r system or ditching it... I have several other questions, but would like to start with these first. Thanks.

Adam
Old 07-23-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Regular

you can use o2 sims but they aren't necessary... if it were me i would just wait until you get the tune done and just have the codes turned off all at once... if you buy o2 sims you're still gonna need a tune to get the most power out of the car and to turn off any other codes such as air, egr, etc, so buying o2 sims is extra unnecessary money spent... you don't need the air pump, all it does is heat the cats up faster so the o2s work sooner which reduces emissions, but how many of us actually care about that anyway?... there are far worse things screwing the world up but that's another topic in it's own... plus it will clean the engine bay up a bit... same goes for the egr if you have it
Old 07-23-2009, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

^ that guy is a genius
Old 07-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Teching In

and i think o2 sims are illegal now and not many places carry them so you have to pay a lot to get them shipped
Old 07-23-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 504ls1
and i think o2 sims are illegal now and not many places carry them so you have to pay a lot to get them shipped
alot of the stuff we do to our cars technically could be illegal but we all do it anyway... o2 sims can be had for around $50 shipped all over the for sale section and ls1speed has them new for $100 and i'm sure there's lots of other places that have them if you really do want them but like i said it's unnecessary just save the money and put it towards your tune
Old 07-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Adam:

Can't go wrong with the Kooks. As for the sims, I didn't need them on my C5. You may have a harder time with no tune on your car, but I'd suggest trying to drive it before you buy the sims. As for the tune, why not go mail order from a reputable vendor? I did that with my car and was more than satisfied. You get your O2's tuned out and your car runs better to boot. Cost was $149.00, including shipping...!

Good luck!

Rossi
Old 07-23-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

frost does the mail order tunes and he seems like a reputable guy from what i hear... your car will drive just fine with no tune, you will just have your ses light on for rear o2s, and air/egr if you removed those... your car will be running rich and with a tune you will get back alot of lost power... kooks is probably the best as far as longtubes go but they are the most expensive as well... there are more cost effective headers that will still get you good gains... pacesetter, hooker, jethot, arh, etc are all good headers and most cost half of what kooks do
Old 07-23-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm definitely figuring in a tune with the exhaust install even with many saying just wait until heads and a cam are in it. I want to get the most power out of it now. So it basically comes down to air or no air... and it sounds like if I'm ditching the CATs then I should ditch the air pump and plumbing.

If I do go this route, I'm only looking at headers with 02 bungs built in them and there won't be any rear 02's bc the computer only needs readings from the fronts to control air/fule ratios... correct?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

yeah if you have no cats the air pump is pointless... and you are correct, you will have no rear o2s and only need the 2 front ones... you have a few options on o2s... you can either get o2 extensions, extend the wires yourself, or get corvette rear o2s such as the bosch 13111's... currently i'm running untuned and i don't want to replace my o2s until i get to that point because you will risk burning the new o2s up due to running rich... so i just extended my stock o2s and i have had no problems at all... when i get it tuned i'm going to replace my o2s with the bosch 13111 sensors so i will have fresh o2s... and i'm also looking into a wideband and gauge to top it all off... you don't have to do it that way, it's just what i plan on doing and wanted to give you all the options that i can think of... i would definitely get a tune after you do boltons unless you plan to do the heads and cam swap very soon afterwards
Old 07-24-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with LT's with the emission fittings for my 99 Formula. Its just a couple more things you have to hook up when you do your header install. Not that big of a deal. But now I'm looking to get an LS6 Intake, so that will eliminate the need for EGR fitting on the passenger header. So once I upgrade the intake, I'll need to block off the EGR port.

I will always run cats. (Ever little bit helps, right.) But I really no longer see the point of the A.I.R. System. Serioiusly, how much better do the cats perform once they are warmed up? And it can't take that much time to get them up to temp once you've started you car. I will definitely go with the Race Style LT's next time. Ditch the EGR & A.I.R. and don't bother with O2 sims. Just deal with the SES light until you can get a tune. Good luck dude.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neutron82
yeah if you have no cats the air pump is pointless... and you are correct, you will have no rear o2s and only need the 2 front ones... you have a few options on o2s... you can either get o2 extensions, extend the wires yourself, or get corvette rear o2s such as the bosch 13111's... currently i'm running untuned and i don't want to replace my o2s until i get to that point because you will risk burning the new o2s up due to running rich... so i just extended my stock o2s and i have had no problems at all... when i get it tuned i'm going to replace my o2s with the bosch 13111 sensors so i will have fresh o2s... and i'm also looking into a wideband and gauge to top it all off... you don't have to do it that way, it's just what i plan on doing and wanted to give you all the options that i can think of... i would definitely get a tune after you do boltons unless you plan to do the heads and cam swap very soon afterwards
I've seen some people say they are going wideband, can you explain to me what that means? Also what do you mean "gauge"?
Old 07-24-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

our factory o2s are narrow band and don't give very accurate readings... a wideband will give you a more precise air/fuel ratio and you can get a much better tune when using one... i want to run mine all the time so you need a gauge that you can put in the pillar or wherever you want that displays the readings of the wideband that way you know where your air/fuel ratio is at all times... if your running someone and all of a sudden you have a lean spike you will know to let off and can possibly save your motor... that's why i want it there all the time... some people just use it for tuning purposes only and remove it when they are done... i have heard innovate makes good wideband controllers... i'm currently looking into the dynojet wideband2 it looks pretty good as well
Old 07-24-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting
Old 07-24-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So do any companies have a bended up system that would mate up with some lond tubes? I've only heard of the bassani true dual, but that only mates up to the stock manifolds, therefore, not interested....
Old 07-24-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

i have the bassani duals and jethot longtubes and no cats... it didn't take very much to get them mated together... any exhaust shop can do it... it sounds really good i get compliments all the time
Old 07-26-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neutron82
i have the bassani duals and jethot longtubes and no cats... it didn't take very much to get them mated together... any exhaust shop can do it... it sounds really good i get compliments all the time
Do you have any other mods? sound clips/videos?
Old 07-27-2009, 06:59 AM
TECH Regular

just longtubes, duals, ls6 intake, ported throttle body... i don't have any clips of mine personally but there are a few clips on youtube... it's really quiet when cruising... you can have the windows down and be able to talk on your cellphone just fine... but starting around 2k rpm and especially after 2500 rpm it screams... so you will have no probs being heard if you want to but you can still keep it quiet for the cops haha... and there is absolutely no rasp which is commonly associated with the y pipe setups
Old 07-27-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And that kit comes with an X-pipe or H?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot of the LS1 type shops can make you a custom true dual system if thats what you would like.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm thinking about just going that route, but I'm wondering just how expensive stainless steel is going to be with over the axle and out the rear like stockers do...