Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some TD help, mine suck (Speed Inc DIY kit)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default need some TD help, mine suck (Speed Inc DIY kit)

so i bought the Pypes kit from Speed Inc, and it pretty much sucks beyond belief. someone there told me all i would have to do is fit it and weld it all together. Wrong! looking at all the kits in the "tur Dual" sticky, this kit is is wayyy off. the pieces coming off the collectors, neither is long enough and one side wont even reach the X. its the bullets & back pieces will work, maybe the X but i dont know where i can buy just those pieces??? anyone know?

is there a cheap kit that will just need to be welded up that isnt such ****? i might just order a new one and ask for them to not send me some the mufflers. any help there either?

not really trying to bash speed inc, but the DIY kit they sell sucks. now im out over 200 bucks and now im stuck with no car until i find a new kit to buy, even though im broke.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=196&catid=56
Old 09-03-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you could also buy whatever piping you need from Summit racing
Old 09-03-2009, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

how would this work?
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Univ...55652/10002/-1

heard of any success witht hat? its cheap as hell, which is what im looking for...
Old 09-03-2009, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

not really looking to buy a new kit, since the bullet mufflers are fine, unless theyll sell me it without the mufflers.

Originally Posted by 99monguse
you could also buy whatever piping you need from Summit racing
heading over to summit's site now.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're best bet is too just buy some tubing pieces that would make you kit work for you but I would certainly think that Texas Speed would seel there kit without the mufflers. I see the problem with the Pypes kit you have. It looks like maybe that kit is designed for old school motors with longtube headers, where the headers come straight back not kicked out to the side a bit like our LS1s. Here is what I would do: go to the STICKY post above with the pictures of members set-ups. I can email you some of the ones I think are really good if you want. Take a good look at the pics and compare them to your kit and figure out what kind on tubing and/or bend that you will need to make it work. The one thing I don't like about the Pypes kit is the outlet for the X-pipe, makes the dual pipes too far apart. Look at the pics of the other members True Duals of even TSPs kit; the pipe run very close to each other, right down the center, along the driveshaft(for the best clearance).
Old 09-03-2009, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

ill check that email in a little bit here. what do you think of that jegs kit? when i was going through the TD sitcky earlier today i saw a few people running it i believe.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Is it possible you have the pipes in the wrong places? Maybe you should contact speed inc and ask them directly about your specific problem.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You have to remember not all LS1 longtubes are the same; therefore, one y-pipe won't fit them all and neither will a "bolt-on" true dual kit with a crossover pipe. I think the Jegs kit will require some modification too. Even if you were to return your kit and purchase the TSP kit you may still have to do a bit of work to get it to fit.If you look at the pipes coming right off the collectors, you'll see that you will have the same issue that you have with the Pypes kit; the kit is made for headers that come straight back, not angles like ours. What brand of headers do you have?
Old 09-04-2009, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Is it possible you have the pipes in the wrong places? Maybe you should contact speed inc and ask them directly about your specific problem.
i know i dont, but i did try it both ways just in case and it aint gonna work.

Originally Posted by 99monguse
You have to remember not all LS1 longtubes are the same; therefore, one y-pipe won't fit them all and neither will a "bolt-on" true dual kit with a crossover pipe. I think the Jegs kit will require some modification too. Even if you were to return your kit and purchase the TSP kit you may still have to do a bit of work to get it to fit.If you look at the pipes coming right off the collectors, you'll see that you will have the same issue that you have with the Pypes kit; the kit is made for headers that come straight back, not angles like ours. What brand of headers do you have?
i cheaped out and bought Pacesetters. i realize that a universal kit wouldnt nessicarily fit since ours kick out a bit, but i expected it to be somewhat close and it isnt. like i said i wasnt bashing speed inc, just the kit sucks. i think im going to end up just figuring out how to measure out what i will need and build it myself. i know i need 3" diameter pipe but idk how im going to tell whoever i get the pipes from the angle i need it bent at.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can use an angle finder to figure the angle measurments or you can just buy a few 45' bends and cut off the pieces you need. I would think you could probably get away with just adding some tubing right after the bends coming off the collectors to reach the X-pipe.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

yeah thats probably what i am going to try first.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the kit on my car, and i may have even told you it worked i dont remember. but it did work you just have to weld it up properly. i had to go out and buy some pipes to make it work. i have since switched to a ypipe/catback setup and am much happier with my exhaust.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

got any pics of the old exhaust?