Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a clogged cat cuase lower engine vacuum and higher A/F at idle + run terrible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a clogged cat cuase lower engine vacuum and higher A/F at idle + run terrible?

So the car has developed a low end gargling/weird exhaust pitch and it feels down on power at lower RPMS. Engine is a boosted 398 forged stroker from MTI.

I've got a boost and AFR gauge. At idle, the air fuel is 15.3 where as before it was 14.7 and engine vacuum was 12-13 now its at 8-9.

When you start the car theres a slight gargling sound and its present under all RPM ranges while driving even when I go WOT for a few seconds. I havnt gone out and boosted it becuase I really dont want to mess things up.

I started the car today and in the process of ideling I went to the exhaust pipes just to see if maybe I could smell more fuel. Sure enough, car smells pretty bad back there AND the driver side pipe is blowing out exhaust gases that are SIGNIFICANTLY colder than the gases from the passanger side pipe.

Car has a borla stinger exhaust, Kooks headers, and a catted mid-section (x pipe)
Old 09-08-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just get rid of the cats, thats what i did...