Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does everyone say Flowmaster mufflers are bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have magnaflow cats and a 40 series muffler. While talking with the tuner he said the magnaflow muffler flows a little better than the crapmaster.

In theory only he figures its the lsx firing order,that magna flow took this into consideration when building their product, although he addmitted the flowmaster sounded better.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one on mine and it sounds pretty good I think after I put the headers and catted Y on.

Its pretty tame at idle and cruising, but starts singing at 2500-3000 and up.

Im not changing it to get 6 more HP.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Look at any exhaust flow rate chart...flowmasters always at the bttm. I had a Flowmaster single outlet catback on my old 97 and didnt have any problems. My buddy has one on his 01 TA and I like it.

Last edited by MonmouthCtyLS7; 09-29-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

i too love the flowmaster sound, ESPECIALLY on big blocks, i personally think LS1 cars sound like crap, with ANY exhaust, dont flame me for it because i own an LS1! lol.

id take dumped 2 chambers with an H pipe before a Y and a GMMG/corsa/magnaflow any day.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a flowmaster, and i love the sound. Driving around in Northern VA, more so Fairfax County, cops will pull over anyone with loud exhaust. I love the tone my car has, and it has decent volume when you get on it. When i put headers and a cam on next year, im just going to get a cut out for racing.

For those that are saying you should buy the best muffler that gives the best flow, i would think a pair of bullets is all you would run? or why not just run straight pipe? you bought your catback for sound as well. its the same reason people buy flowmaster, for sound. You want to max out the HP a the track, buy a cut out, its that simple.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 69lemansguy
I have a flowmaster, and i love the sound. Driving around in Northern VA, more so Fairfax County, cops will pull over anyone with loud exhaust. I love the tone my car has, and it has decent volume when you get on it. When i put headers and a cam on next year, im just going to get a cut out for racing.

For those that are saying you should buy the best muffler that gives the best flow, i would think a pair of bullets is all you would run? or why not just run straight pipe? you bought your catback for sound as well. its the same reason people buy flowmaster, for sound. You want to max out the HP a the track, buy a cut out, its that simple.
With headers and LMI the cops here just give me a thumbs up most of the time. (knock on wood)
Old 09-29-2009, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

See I knew this was gonna get big fast!
Old 09-29-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 201 Likes on 142 Posts

put a cutout on it if your worried about the 5-10hp difference vs the competition. Thats what I plan on doing. Or get a hooker catback, thay sound amazing with great flow too.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
I have track slips to prove that I didnt loose anything going from bone stock to a flowmaster cat back.
I believe a lot of questions got answered with this statement. The bottom line with this statement is...they didn't make any more power than the stock exhaust.

Blowmaster makes a good sound if that is the type you like.
However, if you are looking for maximum power there are definitely better choices. There are too many angles/wedges/walls in their mufflers for exhaust to flow efficiently.

Last edited by Paul57; 09-29-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Exactly and whats the deal with buy a cutout from everyone y buy a cutout if you can get the performance from a good exhaust system? Isn't the big theme with almost every LS owner to be able to drive on the street EXACTLY like you would at the track and still put down the numbers... I had a borla catback and it sounded great and flows way better than a flowmaster. As it has been stated if you want to go the cheap way out go for it but if you want to set your car up right from the front to the back flows shouldn't be anywhere on the list.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah it may sound good..but doesn't flow well.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Talking

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
See I knew this was gonna get big fast!
You were definately right.... But so far its been confirmed, im not losing any power.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I think the FM 80 sounds good but flow testing shows the Magnaflow and Hooker to make more hp. If you're going for sound and it's what you like, go with the FM and don't look back. If you're trying to squeeze out every last hp, go with Magnaflow or Hooker.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:21 AM
12 Second Club

Your getting it all wrong lol, Its not that they are a shitty exhaust system.... Its that on a GTO you will lose a little do to the fact that the factory exhaust flows actually better than the Flowmasters do.... Thats why people in the GTO community will tell you not to get them.... If your going for sound Great, Your not gonna feel the difference between them or any exhaust for that matter do to minimal gains.... But when GM designed the exhaust for the GOATS they made them as free flowing as possable. Flowmasters are chambered, Thats were you get that distinct sound from... If you ever get a chance to look at your stock muffler take a look at how free flowing it is. No obstruction by anymeans.... Whats the main reason you buy an exhaust????? Sound and obviously performance but more so the sound end of story.... If you like the sound of the Flowmaster keep em, But if your going for a tad higher dyno numbers ditch them.... All in All your not gonna notice the difference while driving... Would you rather have an exhaust that gives higher numbers but sounds like dick, or an exhaust thats gonna show lower if no numbers but sounds amazing??? Its all sound brother lol.... Do what works for you....

Last edited by breze84; 09-30-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I say GMMG I love the tone and it can't be beat IMO Baby cam and catted Y get nothing but great attention. Even the cops like it as long as they don't hear me from a couple of blocks away.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They don't all flow bad, just the 80 series crossflow does not flow as good as the straight through mufflers. I love the sound and I have had Borla and corsa on a cammed car. Have also heard everything in person from a to z all the catbacks. Been around fbody's for the past 10 years. Only thing I havn't heard is a spintech.

Personaly my favorite is the xr1 (Borla mouth).
Old 09-30-2009, 08:10 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Paul57
I believe a lot of questions got answered with this statement. The bottom line with this statement is...they didn't make any more power than the stock exhaust.

Blowmaster makes a good sound if that is the type you like.
However, if you are looking for maximum power there are definitely better choices. There are too many angles/wedges/walls in their mufflers for exhaust to flow efficiently.
Yah, im glad I could help but I did gain power is what I was saying there. My but dyno said probably about 8hp. I know I would have gained and felt more with the SLP loudmouth but I cant stand the way it sounds. No offense to anyone but to me it sounds like a hillbillys straight piped truck.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

seriously...i KNOW i suck...but come on

lose
Pronunciation: \ˈlüz\
Function: verb

1 a : to bring to destruction —used chiefly in passive construction <the ship was lost on the reef> b : damn <if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul — Matthew 16:26(Authorized Version)>
2 : to miss from one's possession or from a customary or supposed place
3 : to suffer deprivation of : part with especially in an unforeseen or accidental manner
4 a : to suffer loss through the death or removal of or final separation from (a person) b : to fail to keep control of or allegiance of <lose votes> <lost his temper>
5 a : to fail to use : let slip by : waste <no time to lose> b (1) : to fail to win, gain, or obtain <lose a prize> <lose a contest> (2) : to undergo defeat in <lost every battle> c : to fail to catch with the senses or the mind <lost what she said>
6 : to cause the loss of
7 : to fail to keep, sustain, or maintain <lost my balance>
8 a : to cause to miss one's way or bearings <lost himself in the maze of streets> b : to make (oneself) withdrawn from immediate reality <lost herself in daydreaming>
9 a : to wander or go astray from <lost his way> b : to draw away from : outstrip <lost his pursuers>
10 : to fail to keep in sight or in mind
11 : to free oneself from : get rid of <dieting to lose weight>

loose
Pronunciation: \ˈlüs\
Function: adjective

1 a : not rigidly fastened or securely attached b (1) : having worked partly free from attachments <a loose tooth> (2) : having relative freedom of movement c : produced freely and accompanied by raising of mucus <a loose cough> d : not tight-fitting
2 a : free from a state of confinement, restraint, or obligation <a lion loose in the streets> <spend loose funds wisely> b : not brought together in a bundle, container, or binding c archaic : disconnected, detached
3 a : not dense, close, or compact in structure or arrangement b : not solid : watery <loose stools>
4 a : lacking in restraint or power of restraint <a loose tongue> b : lacking moral restraint : unchaste c : overactive; specifically : marked by frequent voiding especially of watery stools <loose bowels>
5 a : not tightly drawn or stretched : slack b : being flexible or relaxed <stay loose>
6 a : lacking in precision, exactness, or care <loose brushwork> <loose usage> b : permitting freedom of interpretation
7 : not in the possession of either of two competing teams <a loose ball> <a loose puck>
Old 09-30-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I thought about doing the same thing too Teke, dont feel bad lol.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Has anyone tried the super 44s? I had those installed but I am waiting until I get back to cali to test them out.

Quick Reply: Why does everyone say Flowmaster mufflers are bad?