Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Manifolds + Gutted Cats. What Muffler for Throaty, Deep, No Inside Drone Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Manifolds + Gutted Cats. What Muffler for Throaty, Deep, No Inside Drone Sound?

Currently my daily driver SS has a Flowmaster catback. I'm keeping the stock manifolds, gutting the stock cats, and am wanting to replace the Flowmaster with something more throaty. I like how the Flowmaster is relatively quiet inside and doesn't drone or have any resonance though. I want to keep interior volume nearly the same, keep drone and resonance out, but pick up a more throaty sound.

I've considered doing a Bullet muffler in the I-pipe and a Borla XR1 behind the axle with a single turndown above the bumper line on the driver's side.

I've considered the same setup except with a Spiral Flow instead of a Bullet.

I've considered the same setup except with a Bullet in the I-pipe and a Flowmaster 1-chamber behind the axle.

I've also considered other options too including replacing the Flowmaster muffler with another full-sized muffler like a Hooker Aerochamber.

Mainly looking for some first hand experience from someone that has heard the Flowmaster on an otherwise stock car, and other mufflers too that can recommend something more deep and throaty that also doesn't drone or resonant inside.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Flowmaster on a stock engine - with cat guts intact.

It's quiet at idle, and does not drone when cruising. Sounds great when you get into it.

I've never had any thoughts of changing it.

If you want something loud, this isn't it.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just run a 1 chamber in the stock location at the rear GREAT sound for gutted cats and stock y pipe
Old 11-15-2009, 03:39 PM

Kevin, how loud is it inside? Do you still have the stock radio and can you hear it decently or do you have to crank it up to overcome the sound of the exhaust?

eseibel, that's what I have now. I like the sound inside the car, but it sounds weak outside the car. Really "empty" sounding. I'd like something with a little more depth to the tone.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved my hooker cat back when I had stock manifolds and gutted cats. Slight popping on decel at high rpms, no drone, tons of positive comments on it also.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Teching In

My car has a single chamber kinda in the I pipe, it sounds great but it drones like a mug if I am in 6th gear and put the engine under a load like up a hill. I have hated it since I have bought the car, but I am in the process of ripping all that stuff out
Old 11-15-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

with the flowmaster at the rear i dont think there was alot of drone. but its, expected with a flowmaster
Old 11-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Two words: Heartthrob exhaust
Old 11-15-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by jbuhr
Two words: Heartthrob exhaust
Never heard of it. Care to expand on that a little?
Old 11-16-2009, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by josh99ta
I'm keeping the stock manifolds, gutting the stock cats, I like how the Flowmaster is relatively quiet inside and doesn't
Gutting the stock cats is going to do nothing except add drone to your exhaust. You will gain no power to speak of either.

Why do you want to gut them? Are they currently bad?

Not trying to be negative just wondering.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:42 AM

One is clogged and I have to have the actual cat shells in for visual inspection purposes. I'd gladly replace them with high flow cats, but I'm not dropping that coin on them when the fix is free. I've had non-catted exhausts before that didn't drone, but they were in completely different setups (long tubes, cam, etc) so they were really loud. I get zero drone with the catback on the car now. I just don't like the tone it has outside the car (sounds perfect inside actually).

I'm wondering if something like a Flowmaster Delta or 40 series would give it a more throaty sound. I think something along the lines of a baffled muffler design is where I need to be looking. I couldn't care less about flow since I can always just open the cutout if I need to wring every last tenth out of the car.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A Flowmaster Super44 would sound good!
This is what I had on mine. I had it on less than 1yr.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...-1&showValue=1
Old 11-16-2009, 02:15 PM
11 Second Club

i have stock manifolds without cats and a flomaster it has a loud drone that drives me crazy its not for me
Old 11-16-2009, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

+1 on the hooker... i have full stock setup and replaced my flowmaster mufler with a areo chamber... sounds great. very throaty. it does pop a bit on decel but not bad... also i have herd it with headers and cam... still sounds great.. defiantly recommend...

mark
Old 11-16-2009, 09:24 PM

I've had a Hooker catback before. I decided to go that route again. Ordered an Aerochamber muffler today that I'll swap in when it gets here. I loved the Hooker Aerochamber in every setup I've ever heard it.

Quick Reply: Stock Manifolds + Gutted Cats. What Muffler for Throaty, Deep, No Inside Drone Sound?