Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best looking AND best flowing shorties?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best looking AND best flowing shorties?

Or can stuff be done to stock to make it better?

I'm not from the LS world but after months and months of subliminal messaging my buddy building a Factory Five Cobra is going to run an LS2

Which also means he is now going to thoroughly kick my ***...

Anyway, he is running stainless sidepipes and is looking for the best flowing but also best looking shorty header to run to a j-pipe which connects the side pipe to the collector of the header.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm from Gen1 SBC land and all of this crap is foreign to the both of us.

(P.S. He can't run longtubes unless they are custom made...which for the primary build won't be happening...but hot da_n that would be sweet later on!)
Old 12-05-2009, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Bump for best flowing shorties!
Old 12-05-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think edelbrock and bbk make good flowing shorties for the LS1. nothing compared to long tubes of course but that's the way i'd go if i was to **** money away on shorties. i had a set of aftermarket shorties on my ls1 when i bought it. i don't know what brand they are but they were alright considering the 98 manifolds are garbage.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, the stock ones are iron aren't they? We were talking about porting them, but dang that is gonna take a LONG time. Also, they still could look like crap afterwards.

We could try cleaning up the heal shields and polishing them, but still iffy on how it will look.

I'll pass that on about the Edelbrocks/BBKs.

P.S. I agree that short tubes are pissing away money compared to long tubes, but there is no way he can do long tubes with the Cobra unless they are completely custom. So, shorties it is.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Banned

jba??
Old 12-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

Ahh yeah, JBA, I'll check that out.

Has anyone heard of these before?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...Q5fAccessories

Cheap as hell, that is for sure. Never heard of em before.

I take there really haven't been many comparisons between different shorty headers then? Understandable, is there a common belief that aftermarket shorties are at least better than stock ones?

(I know with the 80s GM cars, my area of familiarity, they are but again not as great as LTs.)
Old 12-06-2009, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RedGut86
I agree that short tubes are pissing away money compared to long tubes, but there is no way he can do long tubes with the Cobra unless they are completely custom. So, shorties it is.
Same here, I might have problems fitting longtubes on my car because its RHD so we'll see...
Old 12-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, swaps can be a pain unless they make dedicated headers. Even then it depends on the quality and you have 0 alternative choices.

Do people ever port out the stockers?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ls7 manifolds flow amazing! i dont have any experience but ive heard they dont give up much compared to long tubes.. they are a true shorty style header...
Old 12-08-2009, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by t/a98
ls7 manifolds flow amazing! i dont have any experience but ive heard they dont give up much compared to long tubes.. they are a true shorty style header...
That being said, are there any shorty vs mid-length vs longtube flow comparissons on an LS engine anywhere online?
Old 12-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Can an LS7 manifold bolt right up to say an LS2? That would be sweet. I know they have the oval type flange, but that shouldn't be to hard to mate up with. Probably need to either hack up some LS7 pipes though, I don't know if you can ball a oval joint like that commonly.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BrownBoy
That being said, are there any shorty vs mid-length vs longtube flow comparissons on an LS engine anywhere online?
Good question, I don't think I have seen a mid-length header really.

Got an example?
Old 12-08-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedGut86
Or can stuff be done to stock to make it better?

I'm not from the LS world but after months and months of subliminal messaging my buddy building a Factory Five Cobra is going to run an LS2

Which also means he is now going to thoroughly kick my ***...

Anyway, he is running stainless sidepipes and is looking for the best flowing but also best looking shorty header to run to a j-pipe which connects the side pipe to the collector of the header.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm from Gen1 SBC land and all of this crap is foreign to the both of us.

(P.S. He can't run longtubes unless they are custom made...which for the primary build won't be happening...but hot da_n that would be sweet later on!)
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-roadster.html

Here's a link to a thread where a friend of mine put an LS1 into a FFR Cobra. He went through the hassle with the headers, so it should be of some use to you and your buddy.

Good luck
Old 12-09-2009, 03:47 AM
Staging Lane

That is great! And it is an FFR Roadster too.

Thanks!