Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery or alternator? Gauges going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery or alternator? Gauges going crazy

On my way home today the car was running fine but then all the lights in the cluster started to go on and off. The radio faded in and out along with the headlights.

When i got home i could not start the car again, it just clicked.

is the battery dead, or the alternator?

the connections on the battery look good
Old 01-12-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

jump the car.

If it dies right away its probably the alt.

If it stays running Its probably the battery.

You can check the output of the alt with a volt meter. If its putting out 13-14.5v it may be ok. That does not mean the diodes in the bridge are good though.

Also it wouldnt be bad to have the battery checked.

How old is that battery? I dont think LA gets cold enough to make a difference?

Does all the other stuff turn on in the car?
Turn the headlights on. Note how bright they are, then jump a good known battery too it. Do they get brighter?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a similar problem. all the indicator lights started coming on and such. turned out to be the alternator.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

When the gauges go crazy like that most of the times is the alternator. Charge it up and have it checked if in doubt with your local Autozone or PepBoys.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

i know how to check the battery, but how would i go about checking the alt.

btw i have no idea how old the battery is, it was in the car since i got it 2.5 yrs ago from NJ

thanks for the input
Old 01-12-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

One thing I do is with a voltmeter and car at idle measure how much charge (in terms of voltage) battery is receiving. Increase RPMs and again see if the volts increase accordingly. It should climb up to 14V or 14.5V...at idle it can go from 11.5 to 12.5...thats aprox. GM states that a idle voltage of 11.1 (in F-bodies) is acceptable although I feel a bit uncomfortable with it.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by horsepower_junkie
The simplest way to see if the alternator is charging is to get the car started then unhook the positive cable while the car is running. If it dies then the alternator is not doing its job. It should be able to stay running disconnected from the battery because it is producing enough juice to keeps itself alive. Thats how I would go about it for sure.

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER DO THIS. The battery controls voltage spikes and if you do this it will be your worst nightmare. Check the voltage at 1100 RPM'S it should be between 13.5-14.7 depending on battery state of charge. At idle with a meadium load it should never drop below 13.1V. Have the battery load tested at the parts store. You can also have the alt tested as well. Once again NEVER DISCONNECT A BATTERY WHEN A CAR IS RUNNING.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Veteran

The simplest way to see if the alternator is charging is to get the car started then unhook the positive cable while the car is running. If it dies then the alternator is not doing its job. It should be able to stay running disconnected from the battery because it is producing enough juice to keeps itself alive. Thats how I would go about it for sure.
Bad info...not ever attempt it. That applies to older cars but not to the complex and powerful systems modern cars have....Scratch this post.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tom falco
NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER DO THIS. The battery controls voltage spikes and if you do this it will be your worst nightmare. Check the voltage at 1100 RPM'S it should be between 13.5-14.7 depending on battery state of charge. At idle with a meadium load it should never drop below 13.1V. Have the battery load tested at the parts store. You can also have the alt tested as well. Once again NEVER DISCONNECT A BATTERY WHEN A CAR IS RUNNING.
Agree....the values of 11.5-11.1 are with a FULL load according to GM...thats all lights running, AC, stereo...the whole thing.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tom falco
Agree..Never disconnect battery whhen motor on running..
Old 01-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Alright guys my bad... I knew better than that I just had a brain fart. I've played with old small blocks that you could do that with WAY too long. A voltage spike would fry some stuff in a hurry if you unhooked the battery on that thing running. Words of wisdom: DON'T POST STUFF WHEN YOU'RE HAMMERED!!!! Once again my bad guys... Im really not an idiot... Just used to the old school stuff.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Alright guys my bad... I knew better than that I just had a brain fart. I've played with old small blocks that you could do that with WAY too long. A voltage spike would fry some stuff in a hurry if you unhooked the battery on that thing running. Words of wisdom: DON'T POST STUFF WHEN YOU'RE HAMMERED!!!! Once again my bad guys... Im really not an idiot... Just used to the old school stuff.
LOL!! Dont sweat it man....thats why boards like these are great for leraning new things. I learn new crap here almost everyday!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

we don't disconnect the positive cable from a battery why exactly? it'll fry the newer computer systems? is that right?
i just did this to my friends (1999?) dodge to see if his battery was dead or the alt. but i learned that trick from autoshop. my teacher was an "old timer"
Old 01-13-2010, 04:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chaman
Agree....the values of 11.5-11.1 are with a FULL load according to GM...thats all lights running, AC, stereo...the whole thing.

That spes is the maximum output of the designed alt capacity. For some reason GM gives that number and it is useless. AT that voltage you are running on battery power and discharging the system. All in car voltage readings must be higher than 12.9V. Example police cruisers and ambulances would conk out when the voltage goes below 10.9. If left to idle at 11-12V you are discharging the battery. I have a contract with the local town and we service all the municipal vehicles. If a police car is at an accident or with the light bar on and all the other accessories it would eventually kill the battery. If left that way for an extended period of time with a low voltage output It will conk OUT. It will also set a code in the ECM . (LOW ALT OUTPUT). The old theory of disconnecting the battery to test a ( GENERATOR ) is a holdover from the old days. Alternators are EXTERNALLY EXCITED and will go nuts without a voltage reference from the battery. Remember an alternator has a VOLTAGE REGULATOR not a current regulator. Generators have both voltage and current regulation. Remember you need .2 volts for each cell over voltage to keep the battery charged and healthy . 12 volt batterys have 6 cells so the charge rate should never be under 13.2 V. Modern batterys have memory. If they are always undercharged they will never be able to be at there full capacity. Never undercharge a a battery. Especially GEL CELLS. (OPTIMA ETC) Hope this explains this. Nice discussion guys thats what its all about. Peace TOM

Last edited by tom falco; 01-13-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Guages going nuts, no radio means you have a low voltage problem.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by toadzq8
guages going nuts, no radio means you have a low voltage problem.

Totally Correct.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:59 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my car was doing this last week and I swapped the battery and it hasn't happened since
Old 01-14-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

thanks for the help. it was the alternator....that solved this problem
Old 01-14-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
my car was doing this last week and I swapped the battery and it hasn't happened since
Thats great but watch out for the alternator...if it is going it will take the battery with him.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Searching4Sierra
thanks for the help. it was the alternator....that solved this problem

Quick Reply: Battery or alternator? Gauges going crazy