LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   How big of a deal is the coating on headers? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/123236-how-big-deal-coating-headers.html)

felton316 12-23-2003 05:15 PM

Wrapping headers will make them rust out even faster, because the wrap will hold in all the moisture.

Roadrunner 45 12-23-2003 05:15 PM

If you're worried about corrosion, don't wrap the headers- this will accelerate the corrosion.
If $$ is an issue now, buy the uncoated and strip off the crappy hooker paint as it will flake off the first time you start the car anyway. I started the car and saw all the wrinkled paint and chips flaking off, so I took the headers back off and bead blasted them. Paint them with a good hi-temp paint (Summit sells a Hi-Temp silicone paint that I used- lasted about 5k miles so far and still looks perfect).
When you get the $$ call HPC (high performance coatings) or Jet Hot and send them out to be coated. As I recall both Jet-Hot and HPC quoted me about $175 (but I don't exactly remember the $$).

2002SilverWS-6 12-23-2003 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
That sounds good considering I don't have $1000 to spend on a set of headers right now. I know that is the cheap way out but I want performance and it is hard to justify $800+ to my wife when she thinks the car is fine the way it is.

Wives are like that. :)

MM98 12-23-2003 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Roadrunner 45
If you're worried about corrosion, don't wrap the headers- this will accelerate the corrosion.
If $$ is an issue now, buy the uncoated and strip off the crappy hooker paint as it will flake off the first time you start the car anyway. I started the car and saw all the wrinkled paint and chips flaking off, so I took the headers back off and bead blasted them. Paint them with a good hi-temp paint (Summit sells a Hi-Temp silicone paint that I used- lasted about 5k miles so far and still looks perfect).
When you get the $$ call HPC (high performance coatings) or Jet Hot and send them out to be coated. As I recall both Jet-Hot and HPC quoted me about $175 (but I don't exactly remember the $$).

FWIW, HPC here in OKC I think charges $220.00 for ceramic coating longtubes in & out with lifetime warranty against surface rust. Prices should be about the same in other locations being they are a corporation.

LawmanSS 12-23-2003 10:08 PM

FWIW, Jet Hot quoted me $279 for ceramic coating a set of Kooks SS headers, inside and out...this included return shipping.

black_knight 12-26-2003 08:43 AM

So coated regular > non-coated stainless steel?

1CAMWNDR 12-26-2003 09:26 AM

For me I could care less how the headers look. If they rust on the surface, great, that will look almost sleeper. I plan on getting some plain Pacesetters sometime this year if I am lucky, and will sand them then get some high-temp black paint and be done. Or I might go over the black paint with some rust colored paint..... :devil:
I just don't want the flash of ceramic or stainless steel in my engine bay. And the power difference is minimal unless you are already turning 450+ rwhp and are tuned untill your eyes water. :burn:

lsx24 12-27-2003 05:13 PM

I've heard wrapping the headers theoretically helps, but for some reason people have not had good luck/results doing that.