Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GUTTED MY CATS, am I hurting my power??????????????

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GUTTED MY CATS, am I hurting my power??????????????

I was wondering if my Random Tech high flow cats are causing the airflow to be disturbed in any way. I gutted them but didn't run a straight pipe through them, they're just hollowed out.

WHY I ask? Because the cats are wider than the 3" pipe they're attached to, can that 8-10" long bulged out spot from the cats in the Y cause any type of slow down or back pressure effect while the air is passing them?????

Or does the air go right on by smoothly?

Thank ya.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

your causing Turbulence but it should do little to hurt HP maybe just 1 or 2.
May i ask why you gutted RT cats instead of getting an off road Y?
Old 12-22-2003, 08:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 42NightZ28
your causing Turbulence but it should do little to hurt HP maybe just 1 or 2.
May i ask why you gutted RT cats instead of getting an off road Y?

What the heck is an off road Y anyway???? I thought thats I had built for me, the part that goes from each collector, into the cats, then into one, then the single pipe goes all the way back.

My RT's were clogged from all of the oil I've been burning for the past 10 months with my bad rings. They started glowing very bright one night when I drove on the HWY for a bout 2 hours straight, both of them. I figured I might as well gut them so it doesn't cause any problems and I'd get some extra HP out of it too. I kept the gutted cats on there because my insurance company was going to inspect the car for a claim, which they did, and saw the cats were there. They checked the box as "OK" Hehe, got'em. Now my motor is getting repaired.

How much HP/TQ do you think I will gain with them gutted?
Old 12-22-2003, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

You are not losing that much by using gutted cats. I wouldn't worry about spending time and money to get staight pipe weld in its place.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An offroad Y-pipe is one that doesn't have cats at all.

You're not hurting your power at all compared to having the high flow cats ungutted (probabably picked up a tiny bit of power.) There really isn't going to be much turbulence since the pockets of air will mearly form walls of air that will guide the moving air along. Hard to explain but trust me on this one.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Colonel
An offroad Y-pipe is one that doesn't have cats at all.

You're not hurting your power at all compared to having the high flow cats ungutted (probabably picked up a tiny bit of power.) There really isn't going to be much turbulence since the pockets of air will mearly form walls of air that will guide the moving air along. Hard to explain but trust me on this one.
So if I took my cats off and welded straight pipes in there place I would then have an off road Y ?

Another question about power:

How much power would I gain if I put two elctric cutouts in there place, which is immediately after the collectors? Would the tune need to be different?
Would that hurt anything for just a quick race with them open like that?