Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Dual/Dual catback system

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SLP Dual/Dual catback system

I'm looking for a catback that isn't going to be as loud as the LM, but still loud enough to turn heads and feel a gain in horsepower. I've heard the LM sounds awful with an ORY and LT's. I used to own a 96 LT1 SS which had the SLP 2otl exhaust and it sounded perfect. It was just slightly quieter than my friend's LM, yet still had a composed sound. The only thing I didn't like about the 2otl setup was the absence of any tips on the right rear of the vehicle. I currently own a '00 SS and I'm thinking about the SLP Dual/Dual system, but have never heard it on an LS1. Anyone think the Dual/Dual setup gives noticeable gains and sounds good enough to turn heads on an LS1?

Oh yeah. One of my friends used to own a 98 Z and he had a Hooker catback installed. This is back when I owned my 96 SS. Without a doubt my SLP 2otl exhaust put his Hooker to shame. Just thought I'd share a little story and reasons for my likeness of SLP exhaust. I just need to know if the SLP Dual/Dual exhaust sounds just as good on an LS1
Old 12-24-2003, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

I can't really say if it gives noticable gains because it came stock on my '01 SS, but it does sound good and is a high flowing exhaust... But I'm selling mine and buying GMMG.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:42 PM
Launching!

it comes standard with the SS, its quiet and has a nice tone to it. i love the SLP TOL, i just bought the kit...but i have yet to hear it on an LS1. the TOL is also cheaper than the Dual/Dual system.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

It sounds very good and flows the best of about anything on the market.
The quieter than aftermarket sounds are because it was an OEM product from SLP and had to pass federal decibel requirements.
I've had mine on my 2002 Firehawk for just over two years and coupled with the SLP Y-Pipe, it sounds pretty darn nice.
But I wanted something with a deeper rumble, so mine is going on Mon-Tues and I'll be installing my GMMG Chambered Exhaust that just showed up today (Thanks Santa GMMG!).
Check out my website and go to the GMMG page for photos of both. You can see a good undercar photo of the Dual/Dual. It's all stainless steel and the tips are dual on each side with a sort of brass color.
http://www.geocities.com/somhawk2002/
Old 12-24-2003, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

How do I go about purchasing a GMMG chambered exhaust system?
Old 12-24-2003, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Svingos129
I'm looking for a catback that isn't going to be as loud as the LM, but still loud enough to turn heads and feel a gain in horsepower. I've heard the LM sounds awful with an ORY and LT's. I used to own a 96 LT1 SS which had the SLP 2otl exhaust and it sounded perfect. It was just slightly quieter than my friend's LM, yet still had a composed sound. The only thing I didn't like about the 2otl setup was the absence of any tips on the right rear of the vehicle. I currently own a '00 SS and I'm thinking about the SLP Dual/Dual system, but have never heard it on an LS1. Anyone think the Dual/Dual setup gives noticeable gains and sounds good enough to turn heads on an LS1?

Oh yeah. One of my friends used to own a 98 Z and he had a Hooker catback installed. This is back when I owned my 96 SS. Without a doubt my SLP 2otl exhaust put his Hooker to shame. Just thought I'd share a little story and reasons for my likeness of SLP exhaust. I just need to know if the SLP Dual/Dual exhaust sounds just as good on an LS1
If you're talking about the SLP dual/dual cat-back (system that comes optional on the LS1 SS's & standard on the LS1 Firehawks), I'd look elsewhere if you're interested in a good sounding "V8" exhaust. Sorry, but the SLP dual/dual sounds EXACTLY like the stock OEM mufflers on our cars. Dead quiet and not deep at all (just nothing about it screams muscle car). As weak as I think the Hooker sounds, I think the SLP dual/dual sounds quite a bit weaker...

BTW, the reason why your '96 SS with the SLP TOTL sounded so much better than your friend's '98 Z28 with the Hooker is because of the fact that the LT1 sounds a lot tougher/meaner than the LS1 motor. Most LT1 I've ever heard sounded better than any LS1 in comparison regardless of the exhaust set-up. You'll never get your LS1 to sound like your old car...

I'd recommend the GMMG Chambered Exhaust as it has the most aggressive (deep/mean/loud) but refined sound on the LS1 IMHO. Also looks/flows GREAT...

Mike
Old 12-24-2003, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Over a stock system I would say that one should get good gains.....

I'm still using it on my car, it was on there stock when I got it, but it flows well, has no rasp, just sounds good with the current exhaust setup, anything more open sounds too raspy.......
Old 12-24-2003, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

I had dual/dual with mac headers and off road y pipe on my car for quite a while. I thought it sounded great. It was quiet when cruising but sounded mean at WOT.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The SLP dual dual is very quiet and only gives alittle more power than stock.If you have stock headers and cats I would suggest something better flowing like Corsa,Hooker,GMMG ect.
I run the SLP dual dual on my setup for street driving and my car sounds very close to stock.I also lost 35hp compared to running my Corsa.Luckily I have an electric cutout if power is needed.
Old 12-25-2003, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

So Corsa is 35 RWHP better than SLP DD?
Old 12-25-2003, 08:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BoneSS
So Corsa is 35 RWHP better than SLP DD?
Read my setup first Probly 5-10hp on a fairly stock car.The SLP DD is not very free flowing.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, I see what you're saying now!

Quick Reply: SLP Dual/Dual catback system