Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another muffler thread - need quieter exhaust suggestion

Old 03-02-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default another muffler thread - need quieter exhaust suggestion

i searched around a bit and spent an afternoon at ls1sounds.com, but i couldn't get the info i needed.

basically i've got a tsp rumbler catback (just like the loudmouth, but with a dynomax bullet) with a sound that is too high profile for my tastes.
the car has cats, stock heads/cam. before the stall it was perfect - nice deep rumble at idle and had a good deep kind of screaming sound at wot... now after the stall, that's all still there, but at part throttle it screams a little since i need more rpm/throttle to get going. i was ok with this until about a week ago, while giving me a ticket a cop told me he could hear me get on it (it was like 50% throttle, but i believe him) from a good distance away and so he decided to pull onto the freeway and pace me.

it happens occasionally where i'll be taking off at a normal rate of acceleration from a light and i'll see a cop going the opposite direction whip his head over and make a u-turn to follow. i don't get pulled over, but when i see a cop while i'm leaving a stoplight, it seems like there's a 33% chance he'll go out of his way to follow me. it is just too high profile.

i had a magnaflow muffler before which would probably be just a little too quiet, but even if i went back to that, i'd prefer to not have to pay for all the additional piping i'd need for it.

so... anyone with a stall have any suggestions for my setup? would adding another bullet muffler help any? is there any muffler that flows decent that can fit in place of the dynomax bullet?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magnaflow makes a bullet style muffler but the casing on it is a little bigger than a dynomax but it still fits fine, I have a pair on my true dual system and they have a great sound and arent so big they dont tuck in nicely
Old 03-03-2010, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That cop must've been quite bored. Seems like there must be a ton of things more productive he could be doing rather then pacing you due to a loud exhaust note. With that being said you didn't take off with spinning tires did you ? If so thats probably more the reason he followed you.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
That cop must've been quite bored. Seems like there must be a ton of things more productive he could be doing rather then pacing you due to a loud exhaust note. With that being said you didn't take off with spinning tires did you ? If so thats probably more the reason he followed you.
nope.. just cruising on the freeway. while he had me pulled over he jumped when he heard a pair of bikes going part throttle (up a hill) maybe 10mph over and shook his head.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im running a dynomax round ultraflow and its loud at wot on the freeway and around town just a little rumble. way better then the flowmaster that was on there
Old 03-04-2010, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jsteele90
im running a dynomax round ultraflow and its loud at wot on the freeway and around town just a little rumble. way better then the flowmaster that was on there
i just looked up a bunch of ultraflow soundclips - those things sound perfect. is the part number 17223?
Old 03-04-2010, 04:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am another fan of the Magnaflow Mufflers. I have the true duals on my car with the Magnaflow magnapack mufflers. Very deep sounds but not to loud!!

Search this Thread