Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I might have a coil going out.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I might have a coil going out.

I was on the way home and my SES light started flashing. However the car was not misfiring that I could feel. So I dropped down to 5th, brought the RPMs up and it was running fine, then the light went solid and didn't do it again.

I got home and put the scanner on it to find a P0300 - Random cylinder misfire. I go into the misfire counter and find random hits on 8, 4 and 5 with 5 being the most popular. In a counter cycle it was reaching almost 30 hits. 8 and 4 would never go much above 6 or 7 hits at the most very randomly.

The SES has flashed before but this was when I had 2 bad O2s and a MAF that took a dump(It was "ported" and de-screened by the previous owner) while at the same time the the oil pressure sender decided to blow out and started pouring oil down the back of the block. So I cleared the light thinking it had something to do with the MAF or the bad O2s.

As a brief repair history, so far I have replaced the cam sensor, oil pressure sensor, both knock sensors, knock sensor harness, the valley cover gasket and the MAF along with new injector o-rings to the intake and new intake o-rings. All with GM parts. With 95k on the clock and a little change in my pocket at the time I figured why not do it while I'm in there.

I want to swap the coil to verify but I think it is going out. I have searched and googled to find out the cylinder numbering but couldn't find anything. Is number one on the right or left and does it alternate on the way back? I know this is basic but I want to make sure.

Plus do coils on LS1's go bad to often? What would you replace it with?

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition problem

I used the scanner and got the same problem :/
the weird thing is when i let the car run the passenger side where my LT's are at gets hot and the driver side doesnt... I have no clue whats wrong...