Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolt "snap" when torquing heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt "snap" when torquing heads

Was Torquing second cylinder head first 90 degree pass, with a snap on tech-angle wrench. When i do the passes i place one hand on the head of the rachet head and use my other arm to apply the torque. anyways when i was torquing a bolt up close to the front and had a click noise followed by the wrench moving a few degrees very freely. thought for sure i had snapped a bolt. It was late at night and i decided to continue torquing and see if it really was snapped. followed the second pass sequence. the same 'possibly snapped" bolt took an additional 90 degrees and displayed a similar torque figure to the other bolts ( as the wrench displays the degree reading followed by torque). i am thinking that perhaps when torquing i pushed the rachet/direction selector on the head of the torque wrench enough to skip one tooth. has anyone else ever had this happen. one would think that if the bolt had snapped it would have pulled the threads out on the second rotation of 90 degrees.

the engine runs fine, and i have no SES lights pertaining to misfires, knock retard or the like.

anyone concur ?
Old 04-04-2010, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

Were the bolts lubed before you installed them? Maybe friction between the bolt head and cylinder head.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:32 AM
11 Second Club

Mine did it too and they were lubed. I don't think I got all the coolant sucked out though. So maybe it was causing some sort of pressure as I was torqing things down. Knock on wood though I have had no problems.