Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slp lid....k&n filter or paper?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default slp lid....k&n filter or paper?

so i have a k&n drop in filter with my slp lid and i have heard alot about the maf getting really dirty from the oil getting sucked in. would i be losing anything by putting in a paper filter? im sorry if this is a stupid question just something ive always wondered, like how much of a diff do the k&n filters make?
Old 04-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO I don't think they do anything... I have the slp lid and I just left the stock paper filter in there
Old 04-12-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are no gains from the K&N filter...and yes, you can go overboard with the oil and foul the MAF sensor.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

If you already have a k&n I wouldn't worry about it and just use it.. As long as u don't over oil the filter and clean ur MAF you'll be fine.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula93
If you already have a k&n I wouldn't worry about it and just use it.. As long as u don't over oil the filter and clean ur MAF you'll be fine.
yea thats what i thought ok cool thanks guys
Old 04-25-2010, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

one thing to consider: paper filters fit MUCH better. No sealing problems. The seal on my k&n setup was falling off inside and the filter was just sagging in the filter tray so I replaced it with a paper filter. Fits better, filters better, no oil, and I feel no power loss.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i have a K@N in both of my cars.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Veteran

K&N is fine if you oil it properly. I like it because I can re-use it. I only oil the outside of the filter and let it sit to let the oil soak through. (duh)
Old 04-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Teching In

I have a K&N on mine. Not because I think it's some major power adder but simply because I got a good deal on the filter, and i'll never have to replace it. They are good filters. They have their place but don't expect any difference in power. If you do get one, it's not a bad decision just be careful when you clean it not to oil it too heavily.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by FUH Q
one thing to consider: paper filters fit MUCH better. No sealing problems. The seal on my k&n setup was falling off inside and the filter was just sagging in the filter tray so I replaced it with a paper filter. Fits better, filters better, no oil, and I feel no power loss.
x2

Mine didn't seal very well either so I swapped back to the paper filter.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i had K&N but then i switched to a paper one day when i went to the track and there was no difference
Old 04-26-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have a k&n and love it. i dont much care for the paper filters.
alot of people say the paper filter lasts longer and the k&n gets dirty quicker.
but doesnt that mean the k&n is cleaning the air better? if so, think how much the paper one is letting through
Old 04-27-2010, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 01'SSLSX
i have a k&n and love it. i dont much care for the paper filters.
alot of people say the paper filter lasts longer and the k&n gets dirty quicker.
but doesnt that mean the k&n is cleaning the air better? if so, think how much the paper one is letting through
A valid point, but if the fitment is poor, you are letting unfiltered air directly into the engine. K&N makes a fantastic product, but the end-user needs to make sure 100% that it fits perfectly. K&N has a bad rep on many Ford diesel sites for the very same reason.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by blackfbird98
so i have a k&n drop in filter with my slp lid and i have heard alot about the maf getting really dirty from the oil getting sucked in. would i be losing anything by putting in a paper filter? im sorry if this is a stupid question just something ive always wondered, like how much of a diff do the k&n filters make?
You can use the K&N if you like...but you will be damaging your engine much more than if you used a paper filter. And ZERO power gains come from using a K&N. Also, the first time it rains you will get mist through the filter, which in turn reactivate the oil, which in turn coats your MAF sensors, which in turn immediately begins to decrease your engines performance and efficiency and each time it rans it just gets worse and worse, which in turn defeats the purpose of having a performance car......

Just saying......

Old 04-28-2010, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS6427
You can use the K&N if you like...but you will be damaging your engine much more than if you used a paper filter. And ZERO power gains come from using a K&N. Also, the first time it rains you will get mist through the filter, which in turn reactivate the oil, which in turn coats your MAF sensors, which in turn immediately begins to decrease your engines performance and efficiency and each time it rans it just gets worse and worse, which in turn defeats the purpose of having a performance car......

Just saying......

just stupid, thats all i am saying.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jam01
just stupid, thats all i am saying.
i agree!

there are thousands of people including myself who use k&n filters and dont have problems with our engines/cars.

also, in gmhtp new magazine there is a test for performance intakes for 2010 camaro. NONE of them use a paper filter! show me one who does.
i noticed one of the companies intakes was from LMR, who build some of the fastest lsx engines in the country and it used a k&n filter. if anyone knows performance isnt it those guys?

which in turn means K&N arent bad
Old 04-29-2010, 06:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mrbss
I have a K&N on mine. Not because I think it's some major power adder but simply because I got a good deal on the filter, and i'll never have to replace it. They are good filters. They have their place but don't expect any difference in power. If you do get one, it's not a bad decision just be careful when you clean it not to oil it too heavily.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

I have always used a K&N and never had issues. Just do not use too much oil.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

K&N's for Fbodies fit like ****. There is almost a 3/16 gap between the seal and the top of the lid. You can fix it using silicon to build up a bead and make a better seal. But seriously you won't gain any power over a paper. I have a K&N laying on my garage floor. It came with my lid and I used it for a bit, untill I found out what a pile of **** is was and wouldn't even seal. MAF was dirty as hell too and it was brand new not "over oiled".
Old 04-30-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
K&N's for Fbodies fit like ****. There is almost a 3/16 gap between the seal and the top of the lid. You can fix it using silicon to build up a bead and make a better seal. But seriously you won't gain any power over a paper. I have a K&N laying on my garage floor. It came with my lid and I used it for a bit, untill I found out what a pile of **** is was and wouldn't even seal. MAF was dirty as hell too and it was brand new not "over oiled".
my k&n fits snug with no gaps or bull, did you use the seal's it came with. listen i am not personally trying to attack you but some how i think people dont know how to install certain things. is the tray still there or is it missing? i personally have been using these filters for 25 yr's with no problems except the one time i had my nephew reoil the filter for me. it did not cause my truck to run any different but i did have to clean my carb up.

Quick Reply: slp lid....k&n filter or paper?