Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 Swap, now it doesn't start... Ideas?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 Swap, now it doesn't start... Ideas?

I just did an LQ9 swap as well as add the MS3 cam in my '99 Z28. I got everything bolted in, wired up, ect. I went to start it and it turned over but didn't start. I tried again with the same effect. Once more, I turned the key but this time the starter just clicked, indicating a bad battery. I replaced the battery (a whopping $90.00 ) and went to start it again. This time it just made a single click noise almost as if the starter was bad??? I noticed that the fuel pump didn't kick on either. The dash had the following lights lit up (not blinking):

-turn signals
-high beam
-security

Also, these all stay on even while there is no key in the ignition. My headlights are not on outside of the car and neither are the turn signals, just lit up in the dash like stated above.

Seeing the security light and not hearing the fuel pump kick on has led me to believe that it is a VATS issue. I obviously have checked my fuel pump wiring (racetronix system) and it is all connected. I tried to do the bypass with the resistor that matches the key but it had no effect at all.

Being so frustrated with the issue, I had the car towed to a local mechanic because I don't have the time to deal with it but they haven't contacted me yet and it's been since Thursday since I dropped it off, so I have a feeling they are stumped as well.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Could I have messed up in the wiring somehow? I triple checked everything so I don't think that is it but I'm no professional so...
Old 04-27-2010, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

sounds like a bad ground somehwere. make sure you have all the grounds connected to the block and heads and such they are more important than you may think.

try checking your ignition switch too, maybe try to hotwire it it could be a bad ign switch.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sk8runeg
sounds like a bad ground somehwere. make sure you have all the grounds connected to the block and heads and such they are more important than you may think.

try checking your ignition switch too, maybe try to hotwire it it could be a bad ign switch.
Bad grounds turned out to be the problem. I switched 2 of the grounds that were at near the driver side head and that caused this to happen. This is why you shouldn't work on something for 6 days with barely any sleep!

Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread