Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tick Performance Adjustable Master Cylinder going on stay tuned for my impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tick Performance Adjustable Master Cylinder going on stay tuned for my impressions

As the title says Tick Adj Master Cylinder is being installed either today or tomorrow. Thanks to JimboZ for telling me how well his car was shifting post install of the tick master. Pretty much sold me. At any rate I ran into a few problems on Saturday. I got stranded in the middle of a busy intersection, clutch pedal on the floor and after popping the hood and then looking under the car I found an empty master cyl and fluid leaking profusely from behind the drivers front wheel. I was going to upgrade the stock MC for the Tick later this year to correct the occasional high rpm shifting issues I was experiencing. So I felt now was as good a time as any.

I call up Tick and Joey answers the phone. He was very professional and courteous and quite helpful. Especially considering it was just before he was going to be done for the day. At any rate I had to verify some mailing info and couldn't call him back until after close. To my surprise he still answered the phone AFTER CLOSE and said no worries Doug I'd have gotten to you eventually as I was just finishing my call back list before I left for the day. Now that really impressed me. Gave him the info, he explained my shipping options I picked the one that best suited my time table and it is right on time. Should be dropped off very soon so the back half of D&D performance can get her installed and ready for me to hopefully pick up today. If not today then for sure tomorrow.

After I get the car back and drive it to see how smoothly she shifts at the shift light and beyond I'll report back. Just wanted to post about how easy it was to place an order with Tick Performance. Great service Joey !!! I'm sure your product will exceed my expectations. UPDATE COMING ....

Last edited by allngn_c5; 05-06-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you'll be happy with it Doug (aside: this should go in the Manual Trans section). I've been running the Tick in my Camaro for quite some time, and it has been really nice...can't wait to see how it does with the RPS Street Twin that I have waiting to go in.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry for posting in the wrong section. Well you are in luck since I have the RPS street twin lite I'll be able to post some good feedback. I was thinking with some of the negative posts on here about poor customer service this and that I wanted to post a POSITIVE experience about Tick. Joey was very helpful and made me understand what the Tick Master would do. I'll update after I drive the car. Hopefully later today.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have their remote bleeder line and will buy the Master when the time comes to replace my current one...
Old 05-06-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Have yet to pick the car up. Doesn't really matter as I don't have a ride anyways LOL. Stay tuned for an update. I was really hoping to get out there and do some running around. Figures since it is 60's and sunny either the car won't be done or I won't be able to get a ride. Either way it looks like tomorrow before I can drive it again.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

You'll be happy with it. Night and day difference over a stock adjustable. And the remote bleeder is the BEST $50 you can ever spend on your T56.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99TransAmLS16Spd
You'll be happy with it. Night and day difference over a stock adjustable. And the remote bleeder is the BEST $50 you can ever spend on your T56.
Glad to hear man thanks. Just one thing to point out, my source of failure was the remote speed bleeder. I was told that the teflon lining? or a teflon fitting was the source of the leak. I'll ask when I pick it up today. I'll get more details and post up later.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99TransAmLS16Spd
Why is that? Can't you do the same job otherwise or does it work alot better?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

The remote bleeder is nice for a few reasons. Its A LOT easier to get too. No more fluid winding up inside the bellhousing (or your floor board). And it uses the one way fitting. I forget what it is called exactly, but u don't have to open and close it after every push of the clutch.
I will keep my fingers crossed that I don't have any issues with it though. That sucks that was the source of the OP's problem
Old 05-08-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yup it sure did suck! I was disappointed that it failed but **** happens right.

Anyways I am very happy but a little disappointed at the same time. Its like re learning how to drive. The tick master will allow your car to shift at any rpm but its like changing a stock a4 tranny to a 6000 stalled auto. A little too aggressive for me. My clutch pedal has no forgiveness at all. Slipping the clutch is no longer possible. Its on or off just like a light switch. I was pressed for time so when I have a little extra Im shooting back to the shop to see if any adjustments can be made. Not saying anything negative about TICK, just saying its very aggressive and I didn't know my car would be so different. I thought the clutch pedal action would be unchanged. Its very different. Might go out in the car today but its embarrassing as hell when you drive pretty well and have no issues then after a Master Cyl change you have to re learn everything. I guess it comes with the territory. Modding changes things. I'll repost once I've got some seat time. I will say this, after the 7th or so stoplight I was getting the hang of it. Just need some more seat time. On the one little run I made 1,2, and 3rd gears the shifts were smooth as silk shifting at the shift light !!! So I guess thats what I wanted, just gotta get used to it.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Finally getting back from driving in shitty conditions, semi shitty, better , and now clear but ice cold conditions. I love and hate the tick. Gotta explain that. Its very aggressive. My clutch pedal is so much lower then it used to be. 1st gear is a real bitch. You can't hardly slip the clutch at all. However once you get going and she's moving it is FLAWLESS. Upshifts faster and smoother, downshifts are effortless. I loved running up to 140 on the expressway, saw the shift light and stayed in it for a bit beyond and naild the next gear and no issues. Did this a few times and she never missed a beat. Now Im considering going back to the track. Maybe.

Maybe Joey or Johnathan can chime in about my comments and suggest a way to bring the clutch pedal up a bit and make her less aggressive when trying to get moving in first gear. Like I previously mentioned it is like on off in first, no forgiveness. Everything else is great though. I will say all the traffic I was practicing in sure has helped me get more used to it. Such is the nature of the beast.

I would like to repeat that the Tick Adjustable Master Cylinder will allow you to shift a lot better then the stocker. Certainly does as advertised. Just need to figure a way to tame her bite in first gear.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

The master cylinder shouldn't change how the clutch engages other than the pedal being a little stiffer. You can adjust the tick to set where it engages as well. I have mine set fairly high compared to where the stocker was. Maybe there's something different about the vette cylinders though?
Old 05-09-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Yup it sure did suck! I was disappointed that it failed but **** happens right.

Anyways I am very happy but a little disappointed at the same time. Its like re learning how to drive. The tick master will allow your car to shift at any rpm but its like changing a stock a4 tranny to a 6000 stalled auto. A little too aggressive for me. My clutch pedal has no forgiveness at all. Slipping the clutch is no longer possible. Its on or off just like a light switch. I was pressed for time so when I have a little extra Im shooting back to the shop to see if any adjustments can be made. Not saying anything negative about TICK, just saying its very aggressive and I didn't know my car would be so different. I thought the clutch pedal action would be unchanged. Its very different. Might go out in the car today but its embarrassing as hell when you drive pretty well and have no issues then after a Master Cyl change you have to re learn everything. I guess it comes with the territory. Modding changes things. I'll repost once I've got some seat time. I will say this, after the 7th or so stoplight I was getting the hang of it. Just need some more seat time. On the one little run I made 1,2, and 3rd gears the shifts were smooth as silk shifting at the shift light !!! So I guess thats what I wanted, just gotta get used to it.
Oh its not that bad, All you need is some wheel time with it. Granted the travel is quite a bit shorter compared to stock, but in time you will get it down. With that said, i love mine but i just need to get it out of the car and send it back to tick for a replacement since its leaking a little bit. Oh and while im at it ill prolly send them my tranny too.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=allngn_c5;13302145]My clutch pedal is so much lower then it used to be. 1st gear is a real bitch. You can't hardly slip the clutch at all.

Theres your problem right there, you need to adjust it out some more. It should be back close to stock height, you should have no problems then. Guess the install shop didn't really drive it to make the adjustment. But, you might be able to do it yourself. I'm just suprised, I figured you to have a Tick MC with your set-up. Great upgrade I noticed a big diffrence.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks all for the positive comments. ITs sunny and upper 50's today and I was out enjoying the car. Full tank of gas and a wash. Got **** to do so she's in the garage taking a nap. Will try to adjust so the pedal is even with the break pedal. Its way down. I do love how it shifts no matter what. You push in the pedal, the clutch disengages and you let it out and the clutch engages. So simple. LOL
Made about 30 shifts at or just after the shift light flashed. No issues at all.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Launching!

Hey bro my pedal is just a bit lower than the brake pedal. That's in an F-body though. When I first made the swap it also felt like an on off switch but now that I have gotten used to the pedal pressure I can slip it just like with the stock Master.

It will probably just take some time and like you said its gonna be a learning curve again. At least it shifts nice and smooth now though!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nandos_z28
Hey bro my pedal is just a bit lower than the brake pedal. That's in an F-body though. When I first made the swap it also felt like an on off switch but now that I have gotten used to the pedal pressure I can slip it just like with the stock Master.

It will probably just take some time and like you said its gonna be a learning curve again. At least it shifts nice and smooth now though!
Yes its definately a learning curve. I'd still like to try and adjust it a bit so its a little smoother. You are correct she shifts so much better. Seems like GM could utilize an ADJ MSTR right from the factory. On the stiff pedal feel, I don't mind that at all. Just tough launching smoothly. A few more rpms and she comes out clean but then I get tire spin everytime I do that. Already had one local PO stop me for it and he wasn't buying the stiff clutch pedal due to new Master story even though I showed him the paperwork. LOL. No ticket or anything, I'm on the same team.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

After I installed the Tick my clutch was much firmer feeling... I did not have a problem with engagement though. Sounds like it needs to be adjusted some.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Yes its definately a learning curve. I'd still like to try and adjust it a bit so its a little smoother. You are correct she shifts so much better. Seems like GM could utilize an ADJ MSTR right from the factory. On the stiff pedal feel, I don't mind that at all. Just tough launching smoothly. A few more rpms and she comes out clean but then I get tire spin everytime I do that. Already had one local PO stop me for it and he wasn't buying the stiff clutch pedal due to new Master story even though I showed him the paperwork. LOL. No ticket or anything, I'm on the same team.
Lol ya I know what you mean by spinning the wheels a bit. I do the same trying to avoid a bit of the clutch chatter. Luckily your on the same team so you avoided a nonsense ticket.

The master is easy to adjust on your own bro. Just loosen the set of jam nuts and turn the rod which ever direction you need to move the pedal. Just make sure the rod coming out of the master doesn't turn and then tighten em up and you should be set!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I liked mine a lot. The only problem was it was massive. It was like trying to install a gatorade bottle into the dash.