Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The fix for my endless alternator failure's

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, so the key is to get an EOM and not a reman alternator... thanks.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
Yes, except no one has reported back if they tried a new one. Everyone that has reported back did so in regards to used ones.

Unless the off the shelf OEM ones are built with different components/in different places. All the previous info "should" apply.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

should either of these be fine ?
5.3,AUTO,4X4 (145 amp, opt KG3) - 03' suburban
6.0,AUTO,AWD (145 amp, opt KG3) - 04' yukon

....both at my local LKQ.
... thanks for any reply in advance
Old 12-15-2017, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Both those will work and are identical. As long as its a kg3 you are good to go.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

98cayenne - ok thank you much ... my sons stocker took a dump. we made it home this morning with a low charged optima red top - that made it about 4 miles lol we still had about 15 to go - luckily a walmart was within 3 miles so bought a $55 walmart battery which made it home - it was that vs $150-200 for a tow!
Old 12-15-2017, 09:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SkWiDsTyLe321
98cayenne - ok thank you much ... my sons stocker took a dump. we made it home this morning with a low charged optima red top - that made it about 4 miles lol we still had about 15 to go - luckily a walmart was within 3 miles so bought a $55 walmart battery which made it home - it was that vs $150-200 for a tow!
Yes those alternators are right. I hope you kept your red top too.

I started this thread and I had to get towed many times too. I finally found out my insurance company offers upgraded towing for a couple of dollars a month that gets me up to 100 miles free, unlimited times a year, and in any car I ride in. See if your insurance offers it.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Yes those alternators are right. I hope you kept your red top too.

I started this thread and I had to get towed many times too. I finally found out my insurance company offers upgraded towing for a couple of dollars a month that gets me up to 100 miles free, unlimited times a year, and in any car I ride in. See if your insurance offers it.
couple bucks a month definitely worth it ! ... yea i've always opted out of towing or any extras for insurance for that matter - just personal preference but hell my wife wanted towing when we renewed just 2 months ago & that would've probably paid for itself right there lol go figure ... but yea man you have obviously helped hundreds of people with your find on this! i was ready to go & spend the $140 on a reman from pep boys too, as i was not aware that our remanned alt rates were THAT bad ! extremely happy that i googled "best alternator ls1" this thread is obviously in the top results - after reading through a lot of it, i can't even fathom why anyone would go buy any oem, reman, or even NEW oem replacement, other than for lack of knowledge! glad i decided to search & thanks again ... for now i just want to plug & drive ... i should be fine & can do the wiring upgrade another day with alt. on car, correct?

Last edited by SkWiDsTyLe321; 12-15-2017 at 09:55 PM. Reason: mispellings
Old 12-15-2017, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh yea red top definitely kept haha ... my son scored on his m6 ... 45k miles trade in at a high end ford dealership in oregon (650 miles from us we searched for 2 months for the best condition/deal within a 1k mile radius) ... we got it for 11k - the red top & stereo system alone are worth around 4k - the dealership was unaware of anything related to the aftermarket stereo & could care less - many other dealerships would've gained knowledge of the stereo components & top notch professional installation & very well may have tacked on i'd say at least 1500-2k to the price. even with a stock stereo it is/was well worth the 11k & more - it's immaculate - so far he has a tick master, SE longtubes & y, professionally installed piped out the back, mgw short throw, slp lid with k&n, & some hawks ceramic brake pads front & back ..... has a founders adjustable panhard & rear adjustable lca's under the tree lol... he worked hard while in high school all 12th grade & 3 months once graduated to save up and has bought all his own parts - wish my dumb a$$ was that smart/motivated when i was in 12th grade lol it took me til my late 20s haha...
Old 12-18-2017, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

couple bucks a month definitely worth it ! ... yea i've always opted out of towing or any extras for insurance for that matter - just personal preference but hell my wife wanted towing when we renewed just 2 months ago & that would've probably paid for itself right there lol go figure ... but yea man you have obviously helped hundreds of people with your find on this! i was ready to go & spend the $140 on a reman from pep boys too, as i was not aware that our remanned alt rates were THAT bad ! extremely happy that i googled "best alternator ls1" this thread is obviously in the top results - after reading through a lot of it, i can't even fathom why anyone would go buy any oem, reman, or even NEW oem replacement, other than for lack of knowledge! glad i decided to search & thanks again ... for now i just want to plug & drive ... i should be fine & can do the wiring upgrade another day with alt. on car, correct?
That's cool this came up in a google search and glad it helped man. No you don't have to worry about the wire upgrade really but the larger alternator and larger wire will ABSOLUTELY help with that big stereo system. Your car is a perfect candidate for the larger alternator and charge wire, YES you can change the wire later with the alternator in the car, just slap it in and go.

And yes with all the info here, no reason to get ANY other alternator, however there will be a few people that get a crap alternator since we are rolling the dice getting a junkyard alternator, BUT the crazy thing is your chances of getting a good alternator from the junk yard are much higher than if you get a new one.

I even changed out my alternator on my truck that was a 105 amp for a 145 amp junkyard alternator because I have a high end 3k watt amp in it and huge wiring. If you're worried about the junkyard alternator or the alternator on your other car, buy two of them, it's still far cheaper than the parts store alternator.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

oh yea red top definitely kept haha ... my son scored on his m6 ... 45k miles trade in at a high end ford dealership in oregon (650 miles from us we searched for 2 months for the best condition/deal within a 1k mile radius) ... we got it for 11k - the red top & stereo system alone are worth around 4k - the dealership was unaware of anything related to the aftermarket stereo & could care less - many other dealerships would've gained knowledge of the stereo components & top notch professional installation & very well may have tacked on i'd say at least 1500-2k to the price. even with a stock stereo it is/was well worth the 11k & more - it's immaculate - so far he has a tick master, SE longtubes & y, professionally installed piped out the back, mgw short throw, slp lid with k&n, & some hawks ceramic brake pads front & back ..... has a founders adjustable panhard & rear adjustable lca's under the tree lol... he worked hard while in high school all 12th grade & 3 months once graduated to save up and has bought all his own parts - wish my dumb a$$ was that smart/motivated when i was in 12th grade lol it took me til my late 20s haha...
Very cool. My son is 18 and can't make 10 dollars last 10 minutes, complete opposite of me. I'm like your son, I save money like no other. Well, I used to lol.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I got a reman truck unit for my car and its been great. I think its the reman car units that have lots of issues because they just aren't big enough for the demands the cars have.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
I got a reman truck unit for my car and its been great. I think its the reman car units that have lots of issues because they just aren't big enough for the demands the cars have.
Most have good luck with the reman truck alternators, a couple haven't. They are barely reliable enough to recommend, the car alternators are not.

I still vote for the used OEM unit, I had one on my F body and have one on my truck now. I did some work on a dudes z28 one night during the week, he drove an hour to come to my driveway and on the test drive his alternator failed, it was about 9 PM. Our only option was an Autozone car or truck alternator. I put on the truck alternator and a couple months later the alternator shorted out internally with the car parked and turned off sitting in his garage, it got really hot and it also murdered the new optima red top $200 battery. Fortunately it didn't catch fire.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok i just need to add this .... any & everyone that states or has posted in other threads how difficult swapping our alternators is .... i just did not get that at all. it was a very straight forward extremely easy job. & even the truck 145 slid right in. i mean, i am no mechanic & have a few cheap walmart & orchard supply tools lying around. i can't recall anytime in the past i have commented on any auto-work job due to the fact that it was so easy .... but man i just felt it necessary on this one lol because i have read multiple posts on it being a pita, and at least in my case it simply wasn't hard at all, as in a 1 on a 1-10 difficulty scale. so i say to all, even the novice/newbie do it your selfer, watch a video or 2 and change your own alternator. ...and don't be a moron - there's a 145 amp off a truck in every city at some parts yard or junkyard within 20 miles from your house !
Old 12-21-2017, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

ok i just need to add this .... any & everyone that states or has posted in other threads how difficult swapping our alternators is .... i just did not get that at all. it was a very straight forward extremely easy job. & even the truck 145 slid right in. i mean, i am no mechanic & have a few cheap walmart & orchard supply tools lying around. i can't recall anytime in the past i have commented on any auto-work job due to the fact that it was so easy .... but man i just felt it necessary on this one lol because i have read multiple posts on it being a pita, and at least in my case it simply wasn't hard at all, as in a 1 on a 1-10 difficulty scale. so i say to all, even the novice/newbie do it your selfer, watch a video or 2 and change your own alternator. ...and don't be a moron - there's a 145 amp off a truck in every city at some parts yard or junkyard within 20 miles from your house !
I've never understood people saying it's hard either. It's easier than changing brake pads.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

They are probably afraid of breaking the thin turn-on wire.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 800 Likes on 610 Posts

Get a Ctek battery charger for about $55 and leave the Red Top on for an extended time period. It should hold a charge.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:38 AM
TECH Veteran

They are probably afraid of breaking the thin turn-on wire.
They should be more afraid of breaking a nail.

That wire isn't hard to not break, if you break it, fix it. If you can't, buy a new one for $10.

I can't figure out why anyone would look at that job and of all things that wire would be their concern.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

And if they're THAT worried, splice in a heavier one!
Old 12-27-2017, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by G Atsma
And if they're THAT worried, splice in a heavier one!
There isn't a heavier one. He's referring to the exciter wire and connector. It's a small gauge wire and connector.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Oh alright. Maybe wrap a bunch of tape around it so it won't break too easily. As you said, much ado about a tiny thing.

Quick Reply: The fix for my endless alternator failure's