Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor mount ? and where is this "ringing" coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motor mount ? and where is this "ringing" coming from?

Well my car has stock motor mounts, in dire need of new ones. I'm unsure whether to do poly or solid mounts. The engine shakes wayyyy too much right now. It has 500WHP and a fairly aggressive cam. It is my daily driver right now, however it won't be for long. Recommendations on mounts? I also want to upgrade my stock transmission mounts as well. Anything else I should consider?

When I was outside checking out the car, I heard a ringing coming from the engine. It sound like a bell so to say, from the front of the motor. I'm hoping its my fans and nothing internal. If it is internal, I was thinking maybe its the water pump hitting something?

Please keep in mind, I do NOT have an LS1 in the car. It is an Iron block LQ9. I'm not sure if this would change the mounts I would have to use or what.

Thank you for any and all advice. Here is a video so you can see the amount the motor moves (much more noticeable in person) and hear the ringing. I just uploaded it to you tube so it may take a moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o97aqAOPgRk
Old 06-17-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine rings at certain RPM's. My friend took it up on the rack and found it to be from the O2 Sensors.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Someone from another board said maybe a harmonic balancer. This was my reply to him

I just looked up some clips of harmonic balancers that have gone bad, and maybe the ones I listed to are completely gone. Mine doesn't sound so much like a clunking. thats not to say that isn't it though... Guess I'll be having someone take a look at it on Monday...

Any other ides let me know.

edit: just went outside to take a look at it, and I couldn't get it to budge at all. Most of what I've read say that you can typically twist it or move it in and out a little bit if it is bad.

double edit: Went out there with a screw driver, and tapped on the water pump pulley. sound virtually just like it, like a bell ringing. Water pump going bad?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Took the belt off, started it, didn't hear the sound. Turned each pulley, and the water pump is the culprit. Sounds like there is a rock, or something broken off laying inside that pulley making noise. Now to decide if I want to have a shop trouble shoot it from there, or do it myself..