Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would FRA mod defeat purpose of WS6 hood?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 01:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Would FRA mod defeat purpose of WS6 hood?

I am looking to make my ram air hood functional, with that I need a ws6 radiator support or air box.
I found one but the bottom is cut out kind of like the free ram air mod I have on now.
I was wondering if that would cause air to flow straight through and out the bottom, or if it would be even better because I would have more air coming from the bottom also?
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Old 07-11-2010, 02:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless the airbox is sealed to the hood, and the hood is debaffled, the FRA and the ram air hood would just add more sources of air for the engine. More, volume of air to suck air from.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

its best to do one way or the other, completely sealed either through the hood, or under the car, NOT both. yes you do have more access to air but in the end what makes the horsepower is the "mild pressurization" of the air box, which you lose if both ends are open.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:41 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It does not defeat the purpose, it helps it. Getting air into the air box is a good thing. It's virtually impossible to "completely" seal a WS6 ram air system, so opening the air box up for as many air passages as possible isn't a bad idea.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Damian
It does not defeat the purpose, it helps it. Getting air into the air box is a good thing. It's virtually impossible to "completely" seal a WS6 ram air system, so opening the air box up for as many air passages as possible isn't a bad idea.
Well this was kind of my thinking, but I could see it going the other way as well so I thought I would get more peoples oppinions...
I already bought the radiator support now
Old 07-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Maybe not "completely", but you can seal it very well. I did a BGRA on a friend's car and used foam weatherstrip on a VFN hood on a car I had. Take out the hood grills and feel inside, and the airbox is well sealed to the hood. With the baffles out, it's a direct shot of cold air to the airbox.

I like taking the fresh air from up higher. Drawing air off hot pavement across a radiator you've blocked with the duct can't be optimal - especially at idle. Then there's the risk of hydrolock when hitting unexpected deep water. I've read too many stories of that happening on here.

If you have the Ram Air hood, maximize it. That's the best approach, IMO.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whatever. I asked SLP when adding their CAI to my '01 SS, and left both open. I noticed an improvement upon addition of their CAI. Leave both, IMHO.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want the Ram Air, seal it to the hood and seal the bottom opening, but more access to air is never bad.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:09 PM
9 Second Club

I did the FRA on my car eventhough it IS a WS6. Every bit of air helps... lol.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

The SS and Ram Air systems on these cars are all a marketing gimmick.. They look cool and the average Joe thinks holes in the hood will make him go faster..

The fact is that the top of the hood is a low pressure region on the hood.. Low pressure regions are horrible for "ram air."

If you want true, aerodynamic "ram air" you need to find a way to take advantage of high pressure regions underneath the car..

Ditch the "ram air" and get a real "ram air" setup...
Old 07-14-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tram
The SS and Ram Air systems on these cars are all a marketing gimmick.. They look cool and the average Joe thinks holes in the hood will make him go faster..

The fact is that the top of the hood is a low pressure region on the hood.. Low pressure regions are horrible for "ram air."

If you want true, aerodynamic "ram air" you need to find a way to take advantage of high pressure regions underneath the car..

Quoted for aerodynamic truth.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

the ram air hood really functions?! Thats news to me
Old 07-15-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, the engine doesn't care where it gets the air as long as that air is cool. Besides at WOT all the air in the Airbox is being drawn into the engine so it doesn't matter where it was coming from.

Originally Posted by Tram

Absolute true statement, the hoods are good for cold air but nothing else.