Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a stock air box lid or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a stock air box lid or aftermarket?

Hey guys I got a 2000 TransAm with 17000 from Pennsylvania 2 months ago and I've been looking into upgrades. I was gonna buy an SLP cold air intake kit today when I went to double check that my car didn't already have one installed. When I bought it the guy didn't really know everything that was done to it but he said there might be an aftermarket chip or something on the intake. I'd never heard of this and I couldn't find anything aftermarket about the intake till tonight when I looked.
It looks like I have the ram air/cold air portion of the SLP CAI kit installed already but it looks like the filter is stock. Knowing that, I was about to order an SLP lid tonight when I double checked to make sure my lid was stock. The lid doesn't say anything on it but its curved like the aftermarket ones. I'll put pictures up along with this post.
I'm still trying to figure out what aftermarket parts are on the car. So far I've found hooker exhaust but only from the muffler back so it's only for sound. And there's a sound system which I'll ask questions about later. There's also some weird rectangular metal bars welded on to the frame on the undercarriage kinda under where the doors are. Last there's a raptor hood and this stuff with the intake.
Any help is greatly appreciated, the more aftermarket stuff I discover on the intake (and everywhere) the more money I can spend on other upgrades.
Hopefully I posted in the right place.
Thanks, Dave
Attached Thumbnails Is this a stock air box lid or aftermarket?-img_1853.jpg   Is this a stock air box lid or aftermarket?-img_1854.jpg   Is this a stock air box lid or aftermarket?-img_1855.jpg   Is this a stock air box lid or aftermarket?-img_1856.jpg   Is this a stock air box lid or aftermarket?-img_1857.jpg  

Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep aftermarket lid, free ram air mod, and some type of aftermarket ram air setup. the bars welded to your car under the door are subframe connecters
Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, that's an after market lid and kinda looks like an after market ram air.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Well here's what ive gathered.....

Aftermarket Lid, believe it may be a MTI lid.

Aftermarket Ram Air Induction System, possibly the SLP CAI piece or Fast Toys Ram Air kit (if there's an extra piece of sheet metal thats bolted on to your air dam, then its the Fast Toys one). SSRA system will have that same size opening near the front of your bumper but my bet is, its the SLP piece.

Stock Bellow & MAF, those arent aftermarket pieces. Atleast i dont think thats an aftermarket Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF). Your MAF looks the same as mine.

Like mentioned above, the pieces welded to the frame underneath the car door's, are Subframe Connectors.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

good thing you didnt order the slp haha
Old 09-21-2010, 04:46 AM
TECH Addict

after market lid for sure + ram air setup. not sure abt brands tho..i can see ur fram from there haha
Old 09-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Launching!

Looks like a granatelli lid n slp cai got same set up......get a KN filter if it still stock
Old 09-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Talking

Yep what everyone else says, lid + CAI. I will add it looks like the CAI duct was installed by a drunk monkey.... thing is like over an inch off of alignment .
Old 09-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Holy crap thanks for all the quick replies. You guys saved me at least 200 bucks! And I didn't install the metal ram air piece so for all I know it was done like a drunk monkey as you suggested haha.
Now to complete the intake, whats a good filter to put in there? Is the blackwing filter worth it or should i get a different one?

And does anyone know of any performance chips that work for sure? Every chip I find seems to have arguments about whether it actually works at all.

Thanks again for all the help
Old 09-21-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out speedincs filter its a nice one at a good price.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Teching In

I checked out the speedinc filter and while I'll their website I saw the holley filter. I decided to go with the holley since air filters are so important for keeping the engine cleen.
Thanks for your input
Old 09-21-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by citationls
I checked out the speedinc filter and while I'll their website I saw the holley filter. I decided to go with the holley since air filters are so important for keeping the engine cleen.
Thanks for your input
Filter? like air filters? if that's the case then it doesn't matter, go down to your nearest auto parts store and get one from them because either way in about 10-15000 miles your gonna need to change it anyway. The only reason I have a KN filter now is because some guy near me was selling it for $10
Old 09-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ReFtheMC
Filter? like air filters? if that's the case then it doesn't matter, go down to your nearest auto parts store and get one from them because either way in about 10-15000 miles your gonna need to change it anyway. The only reason I have a KN filter now is because some guy near me was selling it for $10
wow i really spelled clean with 2 "e"s? haha thats bad. anyway I went with the holley cause its reusable so I won't have to replace it and I figured the better the quality the cleaner the air going into the engine
Old 09-21-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by citationls
wow i really spelled clean with 2 "e"s? haha thats bad. anyway I went with the holley cause its reusable so I won't have to replace it and I figured the better the quality the cleaner the air going into the engine
The thing is, is that everyone says theirs is top quality.

Unfortuneatly, I don't think it matters much if you get any of the big name brands or paper. I believe it comes down to cleaning it, or replacing it.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:22 AM
TECH Resident

Don't waste your $ on a "chip", you will not need anything like that until you atleast put headers on. When you do need a "chip", just get a custom tune. Hope this helps!
Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Part of the reason I ordered a new filter is because the old one was so dirty so I'm keeping up with the maintenance like you said because I agree that's a very important thing to keep up with. At this point, I'll be happy with the filter as long as it does its job.

The info on the chip does help because now I'll completely forget about the headache of trying to find a good chip and I won't get one at all.

Thanks for the replies
Old 09-22-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take a look at this old thread OP, I remember I read it over a Couple times when I first got the Camaro....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...anna-fast.html
Old 09-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ReFtheMC
Take a look at this old thread OP, I remember I read it over a Couple times when I first got the Camaro....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...anna-fast.html
wow that thread is pretty much exactly what I needed, thanks