Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks released new exhaust for f-body

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 01:20 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
for a stock cubed motor without an aftermarket cam is 3" true duals a bit too much?
First of all, it's an absolute work of art. That being said, 2.5" should be enough for most applications. Gotta wonder how much the setup weighs.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd change to that from my LM1 but not for that price. I'm not saying it's overpriced but for me it's overkill, super nice but over kill...maby some day when i've got a 408
Old 10-14-2010, 02:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok there always has to be at least one that doesnt follow the crowd and tonight that is me. why in the **** is everyone getting all hyped up over a new true dual system from a name brand company, big ******* deal!!! bassani had a true dual system out back in '07 and kooks is barely putting one on the market?! i have a 2.5" true dual system on my cammed t/a and i can tell you that my custom system sounds a hell of a lot better then that one and im using cheap *** flowtech or dynatech knock off bullets with 3.5" magnaflow tips that look to be a foot long almost. mine is straight back off the headers to x-pipe just behind the tranny, striaght back under axle to the tips. WAY less bends and way better flowing then this over priced POS system. oh and lets not forget the price, 1500 is the cheapest so far is the consenses. to have mine custom fabricated for labor and cost for parts, $400. they want to charge 1500 for a bunch of flashy stainless steel pipes, ya it looks good but it weighs a **** ton and is way over kill. you can even get a custom dual set up with stainless steel for hundreds less, maybe even a grand less. im sorry but there are alot of over spending morons in this country that always has to have to the biggest, flashiest, newest **** out on the market. and people wonder why the economy is **** right now. its because of dumb *** people willing to pay for that flashy **** and willing to do what ever it takes. so please be smart and have common sense people, does it make sense to pay 1500 dollars for a crappy *** flashy true dual system with a big name brand logo on it or get one that out performs and sounds better then this for hundreds less.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

to have mine custom fabricated for labor and cost for parts, $400.
How did you get a true dual exhaust custom fabricated for $400 totall in parts and labor?? I can see the parts costing more than that, even if you used mild steel. What is it mandrel bent??

I do like this Kooks true dual exhaust, and I am sure people with money will buy it. If I had that type of money to spend and it turns out to fit as nice as it does on that car in the video,I am sure they will sell plenty of them
I am currently content with my Magnaflow cat back, even if it has a little bit of rasp.

I am curious why they say the drive shaft loop is necessary. I can understand the PHB relocation piece, but why the loop?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
for a stock cubed motor without an aftermarket cam is 3" true duals a bit too much?
No. I've 3 inch true duals with nothing but an air lid and it gained power everywhere.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:22 AM
Banned

You will lose ground clearance with the BMR DSL that they say you have to have. I had that driveshaft loop and promptly sold it after it was all scuffed up from scraping all over the place. It weighed a ton, wasn't coated very nicely, and I just didn't like it.

I'll admit the pipes do look nice, the tips look awesome and the bullet mufflers are cool, but it's not worth giving up my Magnaflow, custom catted y with 90 degree bends, flowmaster merge, e-cutout, and corsa clones. I've been slowly working on my exhaust ever since I bought the car. I'm not about to redo my exhaust, it's a beast and sounds awesome!

As I do own Kooks headers, I am a fan of their stuff, it is very nice but I would personally go with TSP if I just had to have duals on my ****.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:46 AM
Teching In

Not for me is all I have to say
Old 10-14-2010, 07:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
How did you get a true dual exhaust custom fabricated for $400 totall in parts and labor?? I can see the parts costing more than that, even if you used mild steel. What is it mandrel bent??

I do like this Kooks true dual exhaust, and I am sure people with money will buy it. If I had that type of money to spend and it turns out to fit as nice as it does on that car in the video,I am sure they will sell plenty of them
I am currently content with my Magnaflow cat back, even if it has a little bit of rasp.

I am curious why they say the drive shaft loop is necessary. I can understand the PHB relocation piece, but why the loop?

You can buy LPP's stainless steel true duals for $400 shipped.........................you have to be stock height for you not to scrape but it's a stainless steel true dual system. It is very possible to have a custom system fabbed up for you for under $500, especially if you know the right people.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks very sexy to bad it is hidden under the car.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JohnnyBz28
You can buy LPP's stainless steel true duals for $400 shipped.........................you have to be stock height for you not to scrape but it's a stainless steel true dual system. It is very possible to have a custom system fabbed up for you for under $500, especially if you know the right people.
Wow more info please,

also, other than the fact its stainless steel and designed for our cars, is this any better than lets say for example tsp x pipe with 3 inch duals? Like does this system offer better clearance then the average joes 3 inch x pipe with 3 inch pipes dumped/ran out back?

Cause at the moment i (and most, but not all others) cant get strano springs and shocks cause i already scrape on lets say 1 out of every 5 speed bumps or inclines on the roads.

But if this way will aloow us to lower them to koni/strano height then hmmmmmmmm..........

WOw I also just noticed that the bullets (or what seems like bullets) are under the bumper, that must definetely help with clearance, always thought that would help and was planning on doing that, not sure why that aint more common considering ground clearance is such a concern to most with true duals.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Sweet! But there is no way I would ever drop that kind of money on an exhaust. Can be better spent elsewhere. But for those who have the coin, that is damn nice.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

I do like that exhaust. However I dont think it sounds as good as everyone says and thats really expensive.

Last edited by MikeWS6; 10-14-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Looks nice exhaust..
Old 10-14-2010, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds really good because its just a true dual kit out the back. X pipe's sounds sooo much better on f-bodies (on anything really) than Y pipes do. I could get a really nice custom true dual setup out the back with some corsa clone tips for an easy $500-600 less than this. My true duals dumped before the axle (not counting my headers) cost less than $500.

I doubt they sell very many of these...
Old 10-14-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by X-ray
A BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop Part#DSL001 and a BMR Panhard Rod Relocation Kit Part# PHR004 are required when installing this system.
Those won't work with a convertible will it?
Old 10-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Kooks is not far from me, I may have to see what I can get worked up with them on my ws6. Hmm...
Old 10-14-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SimRacer1
Wow more info please,

also, other than the fact its stainless steel and designed for our cars, is this any better than lets say for example tsp x pipe with 3 inch duals? Like does this system offer better clearance then the average joes 3 inch x pipe with 3 inch pipes dumped/ran out back?

Cause at the moment i (and most, but not all others) cant get strano springs and shocks cause i already scrape on lets say 1 out of every 5 speed bumps or inclines on the roads.

But if this way will aloow us to lower them to koni/strano height then hmmmmmmmm..........

WOw I also just noticed that the bullets (or what seems like bullets) are under the bumper, that must definetely help with clearance, always thought that would help and was planning on doing that, not sure why that aint more common considering ground clearance is such a concern to most with true duals.
No set of 3" duals is going to have great ground clearance unless you're using oval pipe, and even then it's just going to be good, not great. Bullets can actually tuck pretty well if they're routed properly in the driveshaft tunnel, but that takes a custom setup.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think this system looks and sounds awesome.

Considering it is 304SS and is a kit that I can install on my car myself, is personally worth a lot to me.

I won't be purchasing one anytime soon, but that's not to say I wouldn't in the future.

I'm very interested to see how well this system fits on these cars. Obviously the car in the video is a model example. But once a few people take the plunge, I'd really like to know their opinion of the installation, fitment and quality of the kit.

And, as I said, the fact that I can install this means there's no need for some grease monkey man-handling, fingerprinting, and generally disrespecting my ride while fabricating a true dual system, that may or may not turn out to be a hack job, is more than worth the price paid for the system.

My only concern right now is if this kit will allow for a Chassis Mounted Torque Arm like the Spohn I currently have on my Firebird. It was mentioned that it requires a BMR Driveshaft Loop. I'm wondering if the Underbody Brace portion (where the T/A mounts) of my setup has enough clearance to allow the X-pipe to fit. I do have the one that is made to accommodate an aftermarket Y-pipe. It'd be nice to hear from KOOKS addressing this concern.

Other than that...

Great Job KOOKS!! Better late than never.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Launching!

I talked to the guy at Kooks that owns the car in the video, It has the polluter cam from tick performance with a good set of heads. I went ahead and placed a pre order with him, so hopefully in 2 weeks, I'll have it. I love my powerflo, but I have always wanted true duals like this, so I'm in.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Oh as far as fitment, from what I was told, as long as you have the panhard relocation kit, it won't be a problem. My car will be going to kooks for installation, so I figure I won't have to worry to much.

Quick Reply: Kooks released new exhaust for f-body