Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

keep ls6 intake or go to fast intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default keep ls6 intake or go to fast intake?

Guys thinking about trying to find a used fast intake for my car along with throttle body. I have the ls6 with stock throttle body but seeing if its worth to get a fast 92 or 102. I have a stock bottem end, tsp ms4cam, tsp 1 7/8 longtubes, ypipe, magnaflow catback, kn intake, better valve springs, ls7 lifters, high volume oil pump, not saying this adds performance just letting you know what I have. Before I go make an appointment for a retune id like to know if I should get the fast intake and matching throttle body. I don't have any future plans with the car minus some appearance and rims and tires and a tubular kmember but that's it. Its just making over 400rwhp but if I can squeeze some more out of it I would love too. what do you guys think thanks
Old 02-15-2015, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

My opinion is to to go for it, but wait for a good used deal...preferably ported. Let me give you myself as an example....bought a used ported Fast 90 with TB, injectors and fuel rails for $600. Since I didn't need the rails or injectors I went ahead and sold them for $200 and then sold my LS6 intake and TB for $400. So basically I didn't spend a dime here. Realistically you should see a 10-20 hp gain depending on if it's ported or not. Plus better throttle response as well
Old 02-15-2015, 11:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 536 Likes on 383 Posts

I wouldn't just take a fast out the box and bolt it on over a LS6 intake for the price you pay for one......
Now taking a fast intake that's been ported (loving on) would be worth it but that's my opinion......
Old 02-15-2015, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If youre not short for change go for it. I just did a 92/92 swap on my 99. Granted I came from an ls1 intake so the improvement was much greater than it wouldve been if i had a ls6 intake. Just be prepared because a fast intake can nickle and dime you. You obviously need a tb, if you get a 102 youll need fuel rails, you need to get the button head valley bolts, as well as the ls6 style coolant crossover if you dont already have it.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the helps guys, ill deff be looking for a fast 90 or 92 setup and get all the parts I need. I think I have the ls6 style coolant crossover already.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Think i'd invest just a small amount more into some PRC stage 1 heads for some real tangible gains.

Or leave it and invest in a 75-100 shot of a N2O.

- Drew
Old 02-16-2015, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by typedRew
Think i'd invest just a small amount more into some PRC stage 1 heads for some real tangible gains.

Or leave it and invest in a 75-100 shot of a N2O.

- Drew
If I spray it with anything I heard my bottem end will blow to pieces. Don't feel like doing a head swap. much easier to swap intake for a little extra hp and to be safe and worry about a new engine down the road with heads
Old 02-16-2015, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by camonlyss
If I spray it with anything I heard my bottem end will blow to pieces. Don't feel like doing a head swap. much easier to swap intake for a little extra hp and to be safe and worry about a new engine down the road with heads
You could easily and safely hit your car with a 100 shot...heads or not. It's all in the tune and running the proper accessories
Old 02-16-2015, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camonlyss
I don't believe 75-100whp on top of what you already have would do any harm whatsoever. Not sure why you would say that.

I realize it's much easier to change the intake, but I was making a suggestion based purely on money. Dollar for dollar, a head swap(or sending your heads out) is only a bit more expensive and you're going to get real hp. Not just a small blip on the graph.

Money > Ease of install for me.

Not my money either way, do your thing, just making suggestions.

- Drew
Old 02-16-2015, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by typedRew
I don't believe 75-100whp on top of what you already have would do any harm whatsoever. Not sure why you would say that.

I realize it's much easier to change the intake, but I was making a suggestion based purely on money. Dollar for dollar, a head swap(or sending your heads out) is only a bit more expensive and you're going to get real hp. Not just a small blip on the graph.

Money > Ease of install for me.

Not my money either way, do your thing, just making suggestions.

- Drew

Agreed!!! Squeeze on that ****...

100 shot shouldn't hurt a thing... If done right with a dedicated fuel system and correct accessories it shouldn't hurt a thing. If you take your time, you can build your own under a grand.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

FAST is worth it.

and a 100 shot is nothing on these motors as long as its setup properly.

Quick Reply: keep ls6 intake or go to fast intake?