LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   How to get exotic sound (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/135478-how-get-exotic-sound.html)

Jammer 02-03-2004 09:33 PM

How to get exotic sound

We've all heard the Ferraris and exotic car exausts. Any ides on how to get a more exotic sound from an LS1 ?

jrp 02-03-2004 09:40 PM

the ls1 != exotic. it shouldnt sound like one, period. :judge:

2_wacko 02-03-2004 09:50 PM

:werd:

robiferretti 02-03-2004 10:32 PM

sell it and buy a 308

FAST LS1 02-03-2004 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by robiferretti
sell it and buy a 308

Only way to get the exotic V-8 sound is to have a flat crank.
I don't think you can make a flat crank V-8 much larger than the Modena's which is 3.6L.

wrencher 02-03-2004 10:52 PM

You cannot get a 346 8 to sound like a 370 something V-12, it apples & oranges.

oldskoolz 02-03-2004 10:52 PM

they have exotic car sounds because they have v-10's and exhaust systems that make the GMMG seem cheap. to me fbody's are the modern day muscle car and i'd like to keep them that way. just my .02

Assassin 02-03-2004 10:55 PM

get 4 more cylinders. j/k, I think solid rollers, tripple springs chromoly pushrods, rev limiter set to 8k, and the biggest high flowing muffler you can find.............. oh, and put it in the trunk, lol

dug 02-03-2004 11:07 PM

The most exotic soundin ls1 Ive heard had h/c grot stlye header(equal length) xpipe and dynomax ultraflo mufflers. Sounded very smooth. The key to a good sound is equal length long tubes, equal length xpipe, and real mufflers that are straight through like borlas, magnaflows, or dynomax.

onyxxtreme 02-04-2004 12:46 AM

buy a honda and put 3 B16A's in a row to make a inline 12
then you can have an exotic piece of shit

LawmanSS 02-04-2004 03:12 PM

The Corsa "pace car" exhaust system for the C5 is about the closest thing to an exotic sound that I've heard out of an LS1...here's a link...be sure to listen to #2...enjoy:

Corsa Pace Car Edition

FAST LS1 02-04-2004 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
The Corsa "pace car" exhaust system for the C5 is about the closest thing to an exotic sound that I've heard out of an LS1...here's a link...be sure to listen to #2...enjoy:

Corsa Pace Car Edition

Sounds semi exotic, much more so than any other LS1 exhaust I've heard. Maybe it's because it makes the exhaust sound so high pitched though :confused:

SouthFL.02.SS 02-04-2004 03:22 PM

WOT, hi-rev/ high speed runs sound fairly exotic through my X-pipe setup.
On the other hand, idling at a stoplight, my cam's lope does NOT sound exotic.

BurntOrangeSierra01 02-04-2004 03:26 PM

Would Aftermarket Headers & Exhaust Void Facotry Warranty?

Thinking of getting ASM Headers & Corsa Exhaust, just wondering if the aftermarket headers would void my extended Warranty that I bought with my truck. I know that the Corsa Exhaust will NOT void my warranty just not sure about the ASM Headers. If anyone knows anything about my warranty question please let me know.
Thanks!

NOBR8KSS 02-04-2004 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by dug
The most exotic soundin ls1 Ive heard had h/c grot stlye header(equal length) xpipe and dynomax ultraflo mufflers. Sounded very smooth. The key to a good sound is equal length long tubes, equal length xpipe, and real mufflers that are straight through like borlas, magnaflows, or dynomax.

:werd:

The most important factor in smoothing out the exhaust tone is equal length in the header primary tubes and equal distance from the header collector to an x-pipe on both banks. If you don't have equal length, it will sound like a Chevy.
I would be willing to bet there isn't a single header on the market for the LS1 f-body that has equal length primary tubes. They may claim it...but whip out your tape measure and check it.
Additionally, since the y-pipe junction is offset to the passenger side, the lengths from the header collectors to the y-pipe junction are very different. It's a recipe for a crappy exhaust no matter how you look at it. It may get the job done, but it could be vastly improved. There just isn't much room.
The Corvette's have a big advantage in this area. Check out LG Motorsports header system for the C5 ...looks awesome, sounds awesome. Good luck with it on the f-body. Fully custom will start you one the right track

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/press_release.htm

Hambone 7 02-04-2004 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by wrencher
You cannot get a 346 8 to sound like a 370 something V-12, it apples & oranges.

thats what im screaming. the shear mechanics of it simply wouldnt allow them to sound similar.

slik98z 02-04-2004 03:47 PM

you want an exotic exhaust sound? try some vietnamese food with their hot sauce and drink warm beer with it. that'll give you a really exotic exhaust sound. shit will make a taco fart seem like a warm breeze

Cheatin' Chad 02-04-2004 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by oldskoolz
they have exotic car sounds because they have v-10's and exhaust systems that make the GMMG seem cheap. to me fbody's are the modern day muscle car and i'd like to keep them that way. just my .02

The GMMG is cheap relatively. I paid $ 980 (if memory serves correctly) for two cans and mid pipes on my motorcycle. They can get ALOT more expensive.

Jammer 02-04-2004 04:19 PM

The responses here are what I would have expected on LS1.com, not LS1 TECH. BTW this is a 700+ HP twin turbo and I'm designing the exhaust system and thought there was some good info out there. A few of you gave me some insight, so thanks.
As for an LS! not"supposed to sound exotic", well you can say an LS1 is not supposed to have twin turbos either. Its the unique sound I am after.

SouthFL.02.SS 02-04-2004 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jammer
The responses here are what I would have expected on LS1.com, not LS1 TECH. BTW this is a 700+ HP twin turbo and I'm designing the exhaust system and thought there was some good info out there. A few of you gave me some insight, so thanks.
As for an LS! not"supposed to sound exotic", well you can say an LS1 is not supposed to have twin turbos either. Its the unique sound I am after.

I'd say definately go with an X-pipe setup with some mufflers that are high pitched sounding. This is about the closest you'll get.

Countdown for the appearance of "Dr. Evyl" (the other site was mentioned)