Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bailed on Hooker, now which exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bailed on Hooker, now which exhaust?

So when I went heads/cam I didn't have enough money left over for a decent exhaust after the miscellaneous **** and the tune. I just welded a LM resonator to my Y-Pipe and then a turn-down to that. Sounds wicked with my 230's cam at idle and absolutely SCREAMS at WOT, but I'm sick of the noise that's constantly resonating in the car and the terrible drone of cruising on the freeway. And the fumes.

And due to a recent thread (very recent), I have bailed on the Hooker Aerochamber (which I had been planning on forever) due to quality and fitment issues.

I am interested in an exhaust that will still allow my cam lope to be heard at idle with little or no freeway drone. I am not against going true duals, but I don't want it to be my previous setup on steroids or something to that effect.

Sorry for the long post and the noob question, but I'm really torn after finding out the perfect sounding exhaust (in my mind) isn't perfect in all other respects. I've been to LS1Sounds countless times but never find what I'm looking for with respect to my setup. All advice is appreciated, and please no bashing
Old 12-28-2010, 11:32 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would recommend you look into a magnaflow catback. They seem to have a pretty good balance between staying quiet at idle and cruise speeds and really opening up when at WOT. With the cam in there it will be kind of hard to get away from the drone but I think magnaflow would give you the best chance.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

I'm actually glad you chimed in...I had a question about your true duals. How's the fitment of them with 1 3/4 Pacesetters? I'm looking for an easy install.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

What about the Jegs catback?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Magnaflow is probably one of the best choices for what ur after
Old 12-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say magnaflow but its really quite you wanna hear your cam ,
Old 12-28-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

if you want quiet go magnaflow, but ur not gonna hear the cam that much. Buddy of mine had a pretty choppy cam on a 112 lsa and with the cutout closed going through the magnaflow you could barley hear it. It sounds like what your after is the hooker. I ran that on my car until I went true duals and was very happy with it. Did you buy one that had fitment issues?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01boydws6
if you want quiet go magnaflow, but ur not gonna hear the cam that much. Buddy of mine had a pretty choppy cam on a 112 lsa and with the cutout closed going through the magnaflow you could barley hear it. It sounds like what your after is the hooker. I ran that on my car until I went true duals and was very happy with it. Did you buy one that had fitment issues?
Exactly!! Thats exactly what magnaflow did with my 230 cam on a 112. I just got rid of my magnaflow for TSP duals and love it.. only way to go.

I seen that thread about hooker, but i would take hooker catback over magnaflow anyday. Especially since you are running LM, you might be disappointed with how much quiet it will be, and its not a bad thing, but i think magnaflow could have been a bit louder. that is why i like the sound of hookers catback. its got a more deeper, and muscle car sound to it.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01boydws6
No I haven't purchased one yet, I just ran into a recent thread that was rather discouraging...I would hate to waste $400+ on a shitty exhaust, but GOD do I love the sound of the Aerochamber. And yes, from what I've heard and seen, Magnaflow is too quiet.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:12 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by wytry
I'm actually glad you chimed in...I had a question about your true duals. How's the fitment of them with 1 3/4 Pacesetters? I'm looking for an easy install.
The true duals will fit straight onto pacesetter longtubes. But if you are looking for a setup that does not drone and is not loud the true duals are not the way to go. They are a performance oriented setup and not very quiet. I would stick with a cat back similar to the magnaflow or something.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
The true duals will fit straight onto pacesetter longtubes. But if you are looking for a setup that does not drone and is not loud the true duals are not the way to go. They are a performance oriented setup and not very quiet. I would stick with a cat back similar to the magnaflow or something.
John, im running the exact setup. Pacesetter longtubes, with bullets dumped and there is hardly any drone. Drone was the worst with LM1 for sure. The only time it is pretty loud is just at startup. Its tolerable at cruising around, and im loving it at WOT!!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:21 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
John, im running the exact setup. Pacesetter longtubes, with bullets dumped and there is hardly any drone. Drone was the worst with LM1 for sure. The only time it is pretty loud is just at startup. Its tolerable at cruising around, and im loving it at WOT!!!!
Well I guess you could say it depends a lot on the person. Don't get me wrong, I completely enjoyed the sound that the true duals gave my car. But with them dumping before the rear axle, you can hear them pretty well. If I did it all over again I would probably get them again.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Banned

You could pick up a stock catback and just add a cutout, it'd be cheap and you wouldn't lose any ponies with the cutout open!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

There are a couple used Borlas for sale on here. My buddy had one and it sounded great on his car, uncammed. He would always give me flack on how quiet my Magnaflow was, I have since switched to an SLP 2OTL and love it.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah after running a lm1 resonator you will be sad with the magnaflow,you wanna hear the cam not hide it,what I did I had a lm1 catback,I added cats,magnaflow bullet muffler,and a cme. It sounds really good,I haven't been able to drive it but sounds way better than the lm1.the cme with the extra bends seems to smooth the sound out a lot. This set up is still pretty loud though. True duals sound the best but there pretty loud and I didn't wanna give up my lowered stance.if you like hooker go for it,
Old 12-28-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Super Speed
You could pick up a stock catback and just add a cutout, it'd be cheap and you wouldn't lose any ponies with the cutout open!
Lol I have my stocker sitting on the scrap pile in my backyard...if I go with an aftermarket catback I WILL install a cutout for when I desire that sound. However, I still want to hear my cam through the exhaust, I just don't want it to be annoying like my current setup.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:41 AM
TECH Regular

I ran a hooker cat back on my third gen and my 4th gen and had no issues with either one, like someone mentioned above if you can pick up a borla cheap then that is another good option but I really dont think you would be dissapointed if you pick up a hooker catback, you could go true duals but they are loud, I have tail pipes on mine and they are still loud, let us know what route you end up going.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Has anyone heard a Corsa with a decent size cam? A friend had one on his '03 Z06, but it was stock otherwise and sounded wicked as hell. I'm just worried about not hearing it at idle...

There's a NIB one in the classifieds for $800....
Old 12-29-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Corsa is to raspy IMO. I would do true duals with magnapacks dumped. It sounds wicked at idle, deep tone with distinct cam sound via the dumps and no drone because magnaflow is awesome.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

the same friend that had the magnaflow now has corsa and it is raspy and loud, I actually am running true dual with the maganflow magnapack mufflers, I had it dumped for a little bit but it was louder than what I wanted. There are some idle clips of my car on youtube, if you search user name rider4life350 I think you will find them..