Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow fitment sucks! (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magnaflow fitment sucks! (Pics)

Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here. Surely I'm not the only one who's had this problem. The driver side hanger that is supposed to line up with the factory grommet is way too long and comes no where near lining up with the grommet.

It's pretty shitty that you spend hundreds of dollars on some pieces of pipe and a muffler that are supposed to fit your car and it just doesn't. Magnaflow really fucked up with this catback, between the appalling fitment and hideous redneck truck tips I can't believe that this is one of the most popular catbacks among LS1 owners... I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone.

If anyone's thinking of buying a Magnaflow catback... save your money and put an electric cutout on your stock catback.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Banned

i had alignment issues also. Mine had to do with the over axle. No matter how I adjust it, it wants to rub the unbody and I had to adjust the **** out of the rear hangers to get it in a position where it doesnt vibrate when i drive.

yours looks extreme tho. what happens when you bolt up that rear support?
Old 01-29-2011, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that fitment is complete garbage. Your right, it is ridiculous to spend that money and have something not fit properly, you should call up magnaflow and tell them about this. And +1 on the electric cutout. I have a buddy with a Z28, he has an MS3, LT's, ORY stock catback, and an electric cutout. Perfect setup IMO. With the cutout closed it sounds close to stock, but open it sounds nasty. Best of both worlds. Good luck getting everything to line up!
Old 01-29-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too would give Magnaflow a call man thats garbage
Old 01-29-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You have to bolt the hanger closest to the tip of the exhaust in the holes right above it... You installed it wrong
Old 01-29-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can see in your last pic that there are bolt holes that are supposed to be used for the metal hanger you bolt on to your car... This looks like a used kit... Did you get the hardware? I have magnaflow on my car... I def had to really try to line up and straighten everything out, mine fits perfect.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

Wow, that IS bad! I just installed (before winter storage) a Magnaflow with the quad tip setup. Fitment and adjustability were stellar! No over axle issues, although I adjusted it to allow the most clearance possible being mindful that I wanted the four tips tucked under as much as possible. The hangers for the tips on mine were perfect- one of yours is WRONG- they welded the wrong size/style on the tip/extension pipe, it seems on the drivers side. Get them to send out the correct one! The one hanger looks to be too long, or the other is too short? Since my car is in storage, I can't give any other feedback, I've had limited number of drives in it since the install. Other than taking a lot of time to adjust the tips in relation to the muffler extension pipes, the install went perfectly. This was done in my garage, on jack stands too. Call Magnaflow, I think you need a new, correct part!
Old 01-29-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
when you bolt up that rear support?
To attach the rear hanger you have to take the other hanger out of the factory grommet. They won't both go on at the same time. When it's attached this way the tip is slammed up against the bumper.

I would appreciate it if someone with this catback could post pics of how theirs is bolted up, because I see no way how this would work.

Could it be that I got sent a catback for a V6 or LT1? Would that make a difference how it fits?
Old 01-29-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
You have to bolt the hanger closest to the tip of the exhaust in the holes right above it... You installed it wrong
You can see in your last pic that there are bolt holes that are supposed to be used for the metal hanger you bolt on to your car... This looks like a used kit... Did you get the hardware? I have magnaflow on my car... I def had to really try to line up and straighten everything out, mine fits perfect.
I bought this catback new, I've had it on the car for a few months and from day one I've had this problem. I've taken the entire catback on and off the car a few times to see if I could get it right and every attempt I end up with this problem.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, I thought your installing it for the first time. Idk I bolted up the tip hangers first, it did need alot of adjustment to make it fit perfect, takes a couple people to really get it good.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

looks like the hanger is installed wrong, it should bolt to the "frame" above it
Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I understand the frustration here, however, I would roll up to the muffler shop and have them cut and adjust the hangers to make it fit right. Might cost you a little but then it would be perfect.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, I thought your installing it for the first time. Idk I bolted up the tip hangers first, it did need alot of adjustment to make it fit perfect, takes a couple people to really get it good.
I've had the catback on the car for a while and I've had it hanging by just the rear hanger (that bolts up into the two holes in the frame rail). With it hung this way the tip is completely slammed up against the bumper, and the other hanger comes no where near lining up with the factory grommet.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
looks like the hanger is installed wrong, it should bolt to the "frame" above it
Yes, then the other hanger won't line up (the one that hangs on the factory grommet).
Old 01-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Banned

I went out in garage and snapped you a pic. sorry its not the best, but it brings the point across. The one I have is short and the one on yours is way long. My kit was also the one that came with dual tips tho
Attached Thumbnails Magnaflow fitment sucks! (Pics)-exhausthanger.jpg  
Old 01-29-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

that sucks. magnaflow has a great rep for quality.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Launching!

I have magnaflow on my camaro. Only complaint I have is that I can't tuck the tips more because of the hangers... They stick out a little to far for the camaro's rear bumper imo
Old 01-29-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had the exact same problem with my magnaflow...... junk if you ask me. i had to heat up and bend the drivers side mount of the tip. never did get it to fit right and the rubber mount right now i actually just have sitting up on the heat shield because it pissed me off so bad.. i wont buy magnaflow again for any of my cars. also i dont know if its the lpp y pipe or the magaflow but i CANNOT get enough length from the i pipe and the y pipe to secure them together good... even with the expensive accuseal clamps.. i have at best 1/4 of an inch for the y pipe and i pipe of the magnaflow. not happy with the fitment but everyone loves the sound.. i dont know how this **** cat back gets such a good rep for fitment. not even close...
Old 01-29-2011, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

To bad. The mag on my 98 fit just fine.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine fit pretty good. just had to adjust it a little to get it where i wanted it

Quick Reply: Magnaflow fitment sucks! (Pics)