Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open headers cause miss?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Open headers cause miss?

I had my heads/cam car tuned with a Hooker catback modified with 2 1/4 tail pipes and tips (I know) but I ended up going to true duals dumped and noticed a big gain in low end. Now I'm going to a 4" single. Right after we took my exhaust off I realized I left my merge at home so I ran home (less than a mile) open headers and now anywhere under 2k rpms it misses terribly but with a little throttle it clears out. Is it because the car was tuned for the catback and its leaning out or something? Is it that the car just hasn't learned itself out? Will it fix itself once I put exhaust back on will it go away? And will I need a retune? I know open headers are rough on the oxygen sensors but I didn't have much choice at the time?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont think you will need a re-tune, since your car was tuned to the catback system once you put back the system back on it should clear up. In case it doesnt you most likely will need a re-tune. Youll just have to wait and see the results after you put the catback back on I have read that running with open headers could cause damage to your exhaust valves, soo that could be a problem if you run your car alot with open headers, I would get that catback back on ASAP lol
Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll be fine. Your o2's were the reason behind it running crappy. They work off of heat so once you bolt on your exhaust it should recorrect itself

Quick Reply: Open headers cause miss?