Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Need Help / Advice* Best flowing exhaust for custom CME

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 04:43 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default *Need Help / Advice* Best flowing exhaust for custom CME

Well, I guess I'll finally try to get some outside input on my exhaust.

CAR: 2001 Camaro SS- SLP lid, Saxon 1/8" MAF Screen, Shaner S3 P&P Throttle Body. That's it. This is going to be a heads and cam car, probably TEA or AI 243's and a TSP Torquer V3.

Future mods: a 402 / 408 with Trickflow heads and custom EPS cam.

For headers I've decided on ARH non-emissions 1 7/8. Period. This will be an ORY pipe also, with either a 3.5 or 4" Flowmaster or similarly merged Y.

This is where it comes to decision time. I will NOT run an exhaust cut-out. I simply refuse. I'm going to get 6litereater's 3" CME tips and valence, so this will eliminate ALL 2.5" exit crossflow mufflers.

I need 3" muffler exits, and either a 3.5 or a 4" I-Pipe.

The only options I've been able to find so far are:

Mufflex 4" with a spintech muffler and dual 3" exits. Well, after researching threads here, everyone says Spintechs flow is shitty. Is this true for their 4" crossflow also, or only their 3" regular catback?

Next are either of the two Stainless Works catbacks (which would be nice to have a complete stainless system), either the 3.5" with the crossflow muffler, or their chambered catback with 3" instead of 2.5" tailpipes. I have NO IDEA what their catbacks sound like though, and absolutely NO idea how their crossflow mufflers actually flow. I could only find one video on YouTube, and they apparently do not exist on LS1Sounds. Searching here didn't yield many results either. The threads started out pretty good, then just DIED in 2010.

Last, and the one option I really DO NOT want to explore, is to make a stainless thin-walled (for weight savings) 4" version of the LM catback, with 4" I-Pipe and split it into (2) 3" pipes after the axle like the LM does, and use (2) 3" Borla XR1's or Magnaflow race mufflers before the 90's into the CME.

I'm looking for a max-effort catback that will not require the need for a cut-out. I've pounded my head long enough, and would like some input from anyone that has thought about this or maybe has any idea about how the Stainless Works are flow-wise.

Thanks for reading, helping, and for the input.

Last edited by dr_whigham; 06-11-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:37 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Any input guys on how well the Stainless Works 3.5" crossflow actually flows? Sounds?
Old 06-11-2011, 06:48 PM
The Scammer Hammer

To the top for experience?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats your reasoning for not wanting to run a cut-out? It would sure make things a heck of alot easier.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:03 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Just personal preference, I guess. I really don't see a need for it if you have a progressively bigger exhaust system. I know a 3.5 or 4" I-Pipe splitting into 2 3" tail pipes will be MORE than enough to flow 4-500 RWHP without choking.

This is a street car, that more than likely will NEVER see the track. I could care less about a time slip.

Just looking for some input on how the Stainless Works Catbacks flow, or the 4" Spintech muffler itself. There's really NO reviews on here about the stainless works catbacks, no soundclips on ls1sounds, and only one video of the chambered system on YouTube, but that is with factory cats and manifolds.

Thanks for the response, Jay-P
Old 06-12-2011, 11:52 PM
The Scammer Hammer

So nobody on this entire site has any experience with the Stainless Works catbacks? I find that hard to believe.....
Old 06-15-2011, 07:16 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Alrighty guys. I've decided I'm going to go the Kooks true duals route into the CME.

There's literally NO information available whatsoever for the stainless works catbacks. One video of the chambered, one person who had it retrofitted, and nothing at all for the 3.5" crossflow.

If I was considering spending 800+ on an exhaust, might as well up the ante a bit, pony up, and just get a proven design.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magnaflow or borla is your best bet. Straight through transverse mufflers. Cme exhaust is normally restrictive due to many bends over axle and all the 90 degree bends after axle pipes in the system. Its like a water slide park. Lol. At least u went with bigger pipes.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:04 PM
The Scammer Hammer

I had a Mag on the 2000 TA and wasn't happy with the volume. The whole idea was to NOT have to run a cut-out, so that's why I was thinking 3.5" or 4" system. I was seriously considering the 4" Mufflex, but too many people said the spintech muffler flowed like ****, so I discarded that idea.

I think this set-up will give me more than enough flow, and the volume I want. We'll see.....
Old 06-15-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

just my $.02, the difference between the catbacks you're talking about flow-wise is really not a huge factor, IMHO. Seriously, I've swapped exhausts at least 4 times, and its not like if you go from stock catback to the Stainless works, you're going to feel the power. Just get one that you think sounds good. Also, listen to what they sound like with the mods you plan to do, since heads/cam or change in displacement can completely change how your exhaust sounds. I honestly think guys worry too much about "which exhaust flows the best" on here
Old 06-15-2011, 08:52 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Yeah.... I think I'm coming to that point myself. The only exhaust I ever really LOVED, was a GMMG, but that was on an LT1, which we all know that motor sounds better than an LS1 to begin with.

The only thing I was worried about was choking a stroker set-up. I just didn't want to have to run a cut-out. My car will probably never see the track. I'm positive the Kooks will be plenty though.

A lot of this was just trying to get people with Stainless Works experience to come in and talk about it. A few threads were started, but like previously stated, they just died with no real input, other than FirstYrLS1Z's chambered set-up.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Here, this may help...http://ls1sounds.com/

FYI magnaflows do take a while to "break in". Mine was pretty damn loud, louder than the 80 series flows.. but then again, i had LTs, cam, no cats.

Spintechs are probably the worse mufflers you can get. if you have ever seen the insides of the spintechs you would be like WTF!?!?!?!

Quick Reply: *Need Help / Advice* Best flowing exhaust for custom CME