Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got ARH but undecided on catback

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Just got ARH but undecided on catback

Just picked up some ARH 1 3/4 into 3" catted Y. I wanted 1 7/8 into 4" merge to 4" catback but I couldnt say no to this deal. I got the catted Y to pass visual emissions (hopefully I will) but my plan was to hollow out the cats. Now I need to decide on catback. I have a non adjustable Borla on the car now and I love it! But problem is its welded to my tsp merge pipe lol. So im thinking on buying a brand new one unless I decide on a different one.
Questions...
What catback?
Should I hollow out the cats on the ARH Y?
Old 08-05-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're gonna get a million different answers on this one. I like my open Borla, for some it's too raspy and loud. Some like Corsa for lack of rasp and reasonable volume, others go for a bullet muffler after the y for the volume minus the rasp. It's all personal taste.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

i just had my cats gutted and i think it sounds great. its through an SLP DD and if you can find one i recommend it.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
You're gonna get a million different answers on this one. I like my open Borla, for some it's too raspy and loud. Some like Corsa for lack of rasp and reasonable volume, others go for a bullet muffler after the y for the volume minus the rasp. It's all personal taste.
Last time I knew back in the day corsa sucked!
When you say open Borla are you talking the adjustable?
Im also just kinda thinking maybe I should chop right through an inch or so throught that stainless I pipe and go right through the tsp merge. I would save alot.
Think I could get through that stainless with a good sawzal blade? I know the TSP merge wouldnt be a problem.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Launching!

I have arh 1 7/8 with adj borla with qtp electric cut out in it. I love it. Loud when I want quiet when I see a cop..lol
Old 08-05-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

With my Kooks and Catted-y the Borla sounds great. I was always partial to GMMG but I bought my WS6, it was all stock but a Borla. Also theres a GMMG for sale in CT at the moment.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

1. Slp 2 on the left

2. Slp dual/dual

3. Hooker catback
Old 08-05-2011, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks guys. Im going to look and see if I can get my old borla separated from the tsp merge. Just took the car for a ride and I just love Borla. It would save me big bucks if I can do this!
Old 08-05-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Just picked up some ARH 1 3/4 into 3" catted Y. I wanted 1 7/8 into 4" merge to 4" catback but I couldnt say no to this deal.
I'm curious what kind of deal you got on these. Did you purchase them new or used?

I got the catted Y to pass visual emissions (hopefully I will) but my plan was to hollow out the cats. Should I hollow out the cats on the ARH Y?
High flow cats may rob a couple of HP, but the difference between having them and not having them would most likely go unnoticed by the SOTP Dyno. Leaving the cats would be a great way to ensure you are eliminating as much Rasp as possible. My vote goes to keep them as is.

Now I need to decide on catback. I have a non adjustable Borla on the car now and I love it! But problem is its welded to my tsp merge pipe lol. So im thinking on buying a brand new one unless I decide on a different one. What catback?
I think you should attempt to save the Borla you currently have on the car. If it isn't too terrible of a Weld-job, you may be able to separate the I-pipe of the Catback and the Merge of the Y-pipe.

And if for some reason they won't come apart, by all means, order yourself a new matching Catback. You know you'll be almost guaranteed to like it.

This is just my $.02. Good luck with your decision and your upcoming installation.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I'm curious what kind of deal you got on these. Did you purchase them new or used?

High flow cats may rob a couple of HP, but the difference between having them and not having them would most likely go unnoticed by the SOTP Dyno. Leaving the cats would be a great way to ensure you are eliminating as much Rasp as possible. My vote goes to keep them as is.

I think you should attempt to save the Borla you currently have on the car. If it isn't too terrible of a Weld-job, you may be able to separate the I-pipe of the Catback and the Merge of the Y-pipe.

And if for some reason they won't come apart, by all means, order yourself a new matching Catback. You know you'll be almost guaranteed to like it.

This is just my $.02. Good luck with your decision and your upcoming installation.

Got them used and saved at least $350. Had to jump on them. You and I both know ARH with a catted Y isnt going to last long. Also what made me get them quick is the cats for emissions visual. Im due next month. Iv been a fiend every few hours searching for good stainless headers with catted Y.

Yes, I realise how much hp cats will rob and the small gain if they are hollowed. My current car has no cats and my old 98z had none and I dont want any lol. The rasp isnt bad to me like most complain about. Only thing im worried about with hollowing them out is the inside will not be smooth and may cause turbulance? IDK. I got these to pass visual so ill be pissed if I have to take them off once installed haha.

Yes, I was literally under the car 10 min ago looking at everything. The weld is just nasty. Its an ugly *** weld that looks like a 2 y/o did. Im probably just going to have to try and cut through close to the edge of the stainless while going through the TSP merge at the same time. I wont find out how it will be untill I get it apart. I dont really wanna start doing it because I drive my car all the time and miss it when its down lol
Old 08-05-2011, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

SLP LM2. LM2 sounds way better than the 1, much more tone and much less rasp. With LT's and a ORY my lm2 sounds ungodly good with minimal rasp and is darn loud
Old 08-06-2011, 01:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree matt224. My slp loudmouth 2 with arh 1 7/8 lts and ory sounds great as well..cant loose with slp!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Well hopefully you can save your Borla, even if you have to cut a bit off to get rid of that tsp merge that can easily be replaced at a muffler shop, it won't be stainless, but that wont be the end of the world. They might even be able to get you a small length of stainless to.

If you decide to go with something new, id recommend the 2otl or dual/dual. If i didnt have my cme i would have gone 2otl, best sounding catback for our cars hands down.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jay-P
Well hopefully you can save your Borla, even if you have to cut a bit off to get rid of that tsp merge that can easily be replaced at a muffler shop, it won't be stainless, but that wont be the end of the world. They might even be able to get you a small length of stainless to.

If you decide to go with something new, id recommend the 2otl or dual/dual. If i didnt have my cme i would have gone 2otl, best sounding catback for our cars hands down.
I dont think im saving this unless I can go through the welds going down the slits of the I pipe. The weld is terrible and as a matter fact I put 2 tubes of quick steel around it because it had a little leak. I have the whole full exhaust for sale if anyone is interested. I plan on starting the work in a couple hours. I would start now but damn, its sat and I wanna drive it.

Iv heard a couple sound clips of that 2otl and idk if I like it. I need to hear more of that and others.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Same tone as say a hooker, deep and smooth. I've heard all in person and would rank them as such.

Sound: 2otl
hooker
dual/dual

Flow: 2otl
dual/dual
hooker
Old 08-06-2011, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

Same tone as say a hooker, deep and smooth. I've heard all in person and would rank them as such.

Sound: 2otl
hooker
dual/dual

Flow: 2otl
dual/dual
hooker

You dont care for Borla or Magnaflow?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

The only borla system im firmilar with is the adjustable one, and i didnt care for the sound, of course that was with open plate so it was raspy as heck. Overall it is a quality piece.

Magnaflow is nice as well, sound is good, but im not a fan of the slash-cut dual exit style tips, looks like what all the trucks have around here lol.

I guess im just a 2otl or dual/dual fanboy. :p They flow great, without the rasp and **** sound associated with a high flowing case muffler.

Will also add in how well the hooker sounds, but with the quality issues that seem to have been popping up, and it not being stainless, it's not quite up to par with the high end exhausts systems.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:26 PM
10 Second Club

The only borla system im firmilar with is the adjustable one, and i didnt care for the sound, of course that was with open plate so it was raspy as heck. Overall it is a quality piece.

Magnaflow is nice as well, sound is good, but im not a fan of the slash-cut dual exit style tips, looks like what all the trucks have around here lol.

I guess im just a 2otl or dual/dual fanboy. :p They flow great, without the rasp and **** sound associated with a high flowing case muffler.

Will also add in how well the hooker sounds, but with the quality issues that seem to have been popping up, and it not being stainless, it's not quite up to par with the high end exhausts systems.

Thanks. Well I dont think this non adjustable is raspy like the other one. Even when Slowhawk was doing a tune on the car he was like "what catback it that?!" Said it didnt have that phffffff when given throttle. I wish I had something of quality to do a sound clip. It has that mean gurgle to it that I like.
Just got back from a ride and I think most likely ill be buying another one if I cant save this one

Last edited by senicalj4579; 08-06-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Ya I dont think my Borla is raspy at all with cats, its a real nice tone.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Well hopefully you can save it, like i said even if you have to cut some of the i-pipe off to get rid of the shitty welds it would be easy enough to get a small piece welded in. Heck could even just get yourself a new i-pipe and keep the rear section.

Quick Reply: Just got ARH but undecided on catback