Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I gut my ARH catted Y?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Should I gut my ARH catted Y?

I got the ARH and catted Y (got them used) but the plan was to gut them.
I had emissions in mind when I wanted the catted Y so I could have just the shells of the cats just in case they stick a mirror under there for inspection.
Now im thinking if its ok to just leave them be.
My concerns are...
1-If I dont get them then im worried it will effect my tune. The car was tuned with pacesetter and ory no cats.

2-Im worried about losing power if I dont gut them.

3-I dont want my car quieter. Iv have an ory since 2006 rasp means nothing to me.

4-Something I didnt think about when I bought them is if I do gut them, the increased area inside the cat might hurt exhaust velocity as it expands in the gutted cat then returns to 3". Just a thought.

5-I wonder how easily I could gut these.

Whats your thoughts?
Old 08-10-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just leave it dude. I gutted mine a long time ago and kind of wish I never did... And if you ever want to install the cats again, you'll have to shell out money for new ones. ~$200-$300. I got lucky a couple weeks ago when I got pulled over for my ft plate. The cop was really cool but he could have easily put on the proverbial white glove and bent my car over for an **** inspection. And my exhaust was NOT quiet at the time. He MUST have smelled it. ORY, Cam and LT's.

There's debatable gains and losses from cats. IMO: it just moves your TQ curve around.

CT eh?? What part?? Go to the Berlin Turnpike BK Show on Sat nights at 7. I'm there every week.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Im mainly worried about how its going to effect the tune.
The sound dosent bother me one bit. Iv ran a ORY since 2006 and I dont like cats.

Im in lovely Norwich lol. Iv never gone down there ill have to check it out.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

I actually have the car on stands right now with the cats laying there debating on gutting them right now or just installing them.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:21 PM
10 Second Club

Couldnt take it anymore they are gutted lol
Old 08-10-2011, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

i wish i had never gutted my qtp catted y cause it didnt make anymore power or make it any louder, all it did was make it stink....
Old 08-10-2011, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

^ well, guess I wont know the difference seeing how iv had no cats since 2006 anyway LOL!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Yeah.. When I re-do my exhaust, I'm going with the cats again. And I will be able to run a straight through muffler without it being ridiculously loud.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

mine are gutted and i think it sounds awesome. i even like that unburned fuel smell.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sell arh cats for a chunk of change, have exhaust shop or friend weld in "test" pipe.

oh wait, you got the horse before the cart on that one.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

^ I never understood that adage. You would normally put the horse before the carriage, wouldn't you??
Old 08-10-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yah got it backwards.....cart before the horse. long day it is. said it right in my head, but my fingers typed it wrong.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
mine are gutted and i think it sounds awesome. i even like that unburned fuel smell.
Thats how iv always felt. Just sometime I dont like my eyes burning.
What cats did you gut?

Originally Posted by gectek
sell arh cats for a chunk of change, have exhaust shop or friend weld in "test" pipe.

oh wait, you got the horse before the cart on that one.
IDK how I would have done that. ARH cats are welded right to the whole Y pipe.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you cut them out, a piece of pipe will weld right in its place. unless they are right at the flange. then it is a bit tricky, but still do able.

I just dont understand the part where you say you do not like cats. What is not to like about a good aftermarket cat? There is no stink, it costs NO power, and you are still somewhat enviro friendly.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:09 PM
10 Second Club

Its already said and done.
You cant say it cost "no" power at all.
IDK its gotta gain at least something, I like it louder, and its a musclecar not a tree hugging Al Gore mobile.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How clean did you gut them? If it is still rough inside there maybe add a pipe running through the inside for smooth exhaust flow.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would have left them, I have an ORY now and like the sound more and don't mind the smell (compared to a hi flow catted Y)....but as inspection approaches I am nervous.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can say that because on your application, dyno tests have shown nearly nothing. The only thing it adds for you is psychological horsepower, and that is all anyone needs.

And it has nothing to do with being a tree hugger. But you dont have to be ignorant about it either.

I did not come on this thread to start a flame war. As long as you like it, that is all that matters, I just wanted to let you know the other side of the story.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Thats how iv always felt. Just sometime I dont like my eyes burning.
What cats did you gut?

IDK how I would have done that. ARH cats are welded right to the whole Y pipe.
i believe they are magnaflows.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jay-P
How clean did you gut them? If it is still rough inside there maybe add a pipe running through the inside for smooth exhaust flow.
Dude I stood out in the sun and battled with these things for maybe 2 hours. The cats are totally gone. They were the metalic type. The only rough thing that might effect anything is the pipe lip on the inside of the cat. Its not smooth if you know what I mean.
Yea I was wondering how the exhaust flow will be now that area is expanded in the cat shell them back down to the 3" Y but bayer pointed out that it would help me out because its like a venturi collector now. IDK
A straight pipe is an idea but in order to get one in there it would have to be smaller pipes.

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
I would have left them, I have an ORY now and like the sound more and don't mind the smell (compared to a hi flow catted Y)....but as inspection approaches I am nervous.
You and me both buddy.
Thats why I got the cats so I could gut them and have the shells just in case they wanna slip a mirror under the car.
Do they actually go by the book up there and check for cats?

Originally Posted by gectek
I can say that because on your application, dyno tests have shown nearly nothing. The only thing it adds for you is psychological horsepower, and that is all anyone needs.

And it has nothing to do with being a tree hugger. But you dont have to be ignorant about it either.

I did not come on this thread to start a flame war. As long as you like it, that is all that matters, I just wanted to let you know the other side of the story.

LOL thanks for the insult but did you here what you said? First you said "nothing" then you said "nearly nothing" so yea you just put your foot in your mouth on that one LOL
You can get your panties in a bunch all you want for what I said I dont give a ****. It wasnt an attack on you. You attacked me so **** off.
You called me ignorant when you first said going catless gains "nothing" but then you said "nearly nothing". "Nearly nothing" to you might not be the same thing as "nothing" to someone else so go smoke your pipe.

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i believe they are magnaflows.

What were they on the inside metalic or ceramic?