Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JBA Shorties to TSP LT gains...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default JBA Shorties to TSP LT gains...

Guys....

I have an 2002 A4 Z28 with an 05 crate LS6 engine. It has JBA shorties, Magnaflow direct fit high flow cats, SLP Y-pipe connected to a Magnaflow cat-back system. I also have a ported TB along with the SLP Flowpac. This was a California, thus the JBA shorty headers. Being that I now have options, I have been thinking about the new stainless steel LT soon to hit the market via TSP. What would you guys guess that I would/might gain by going to the new TSP LT's and Y-pipe combo in place of my current setup? Would the majority of the gain be in the under the curve area? Also, with this change, would the car need another tune??

Thanks in advance...!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from JBA shorties to BBK longtubes and now my car needs tuned again. I'm sure it'll be the same with the TSP headers. You'll definitely notice a gain, and the car will be quite a bit louder
Old 08-16-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

May I ask, did you notice the gain under the curve or on the top end? How driveable is/was your car before the tune?

Thank you for your reply.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

I would go with LTs but I figured without a cam it wouldn't be worth it. I always wondered how much rougher the idle gets with LTs and cam. It would suck to have stalling out going on.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cali_bear2003
May I ask, did you notice the gain under the curve or on the top end? How driveable is/was your car before the tune?

Thank you for your reply.
My car has the MS3 cam in it so adding the longtubes really helped it breathe up top. The car is still as drivable as before, it just runs pretty rich. You'll want to tune it anyway to maximize your gains from your new mod.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hope that others can chime in with some input. I really would rather not go through the expense for an additional 15 RWHP if that is all that might be gained. However, I am willing to go through the knuckle damage if there will be a load gained under the curve. Sorry to bump and continue my own thread......
Old 08-19-2011, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

you will deffenitly get some of that hp under the curve. but headers by themselves really aren't a hp giver. sure they give some but what your really doing is helping the car breathe a little better. its when you start adding a cam and heads when you really start noticing a difference with lt's. if you don't have lt's then you will choke your car to death lol