Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.5" single exhaust vs true duals

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.5" single exhaust vs true duals

I've been having trouble with my Maggie catback with leaks, brackets breaking and so on.

After dealing with it the past 2 months I've decide between either a custom y and single 3.5" exhaust or a 2.5" true dual setup. What's the pros and cons of both, what are good mufflers to go with on both and what would the price be.I'm also in college so price would have to be pretty reasonable.

My cars a 2000 m6 camaro mod list is basic bolt ons headers, lid, short throw, sfc's and that's pretty much it.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Here's some quick stuff I've read from the boards here:

Single: Flowmaster merge or similar is a must to help with rasp. Most go with a Magnaflow or Hooker catback. Usually better ground clearance the TDs.

TDs: Sound better IMO. Out the back or dumped? Dumped is cheaper but too obnoxious for some and can leave you smelling like gas. Not much of a muffler choice, usually some type of bullet (dynomax, borla, magnaflow,) some hit fit flow single chambers that sound the best to me. If dumped, would probably be cheaper than the single, but if ran out the back (over the axle) not so much.

I'd suggest, if you already have the headers, just have a shop fab a dumped TD system. Shouldn't be too pricey and sounds badass imo. You could also pick up a used tsp system for 350 or so. If you want it a little quieter go the single route with one of the previously mentioned catbacks.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Staging Lane

I'm not really wanting to go with a catback, something fabbed fits better and with a single 3.5" all the way back or dumped exhaust look better I cuz I like the not tail pipe look.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Then have a shop fab you a TD setup. They should be able to tuck it up pretty nicely, there's a thread on here about rerouting some fuel lines and stuff like that to gain more room to tuck them if you need. So what it comes down to his how loud or quiet do you want it?
Old 08-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Teching In

i have ran both exhaust on multiple vehicles and i liked the 2.5" td set-up much more. the last one my guy fabbed up off the headers, x-pipe, then sweet-thunders and we ran the exits out the side just in front of the rear tires. crazy LOUD unique sound, different look, performance was great and probably the least expensive exhaust i have ever done. its not for everyone's taste, but i liked it.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

What kinda mufflers work best, I'm looking for a nice deep tone.

I was also looking at the flowmaster 3x10 50 series cuz it's pretty slim. What do you guys think
Old 08-22-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally i would run the 3.5 out the back with a dumped muffler of your choice, id also take that time to have a cutout installed to it can go from nice and quiet to loud and nasty at the flip of a switch.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dumped will sound VERY loud. id never put one on my DD. and i also hate it when my car scrabes on bumps or whatever. 3.5" Y pipe is just enough. run it out the back and call it a day.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Well I talked to an exhaust shop and the said for the same price of an x with mufflers that they could do a custom y with new piping all the way back with some new tips, also mandrel bends for around 350ish. Does that sound like a good deal.

Also they said they would put in a cut out
Old 08-26-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have run both a single and now TD's. I like TD's dumped much better. Much better sound and flow, cheaper and cleaner. TD's so have slightly less ground clearance and are alot louder when dumped. Also won't pass emissions only a visual test will pass. Now my single exhaust was nice at the time but when I put a cam it got way to pitchy sounding and wasn't deep enough for me. Just too much rasp IMO. Check tsp for there TD's very easy to install and sound awesome.

Quick Reply: 3.5" single exhaust vs true duals