Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little Upset w/ Corsa

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 02:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Upset w/ Corsa

Well I emailed Corsa, because not to long ago the muffler on my 00' Trans Am failed around the inlet. It was bad enough that I could undo the exhaust hangers and simply remove the muffler/tips from the car without a struggle. I purchased the car WITH the Corsa Catback on the car, so I knew their warranty wouldnt transfer to me. I was honest and told them exactly that, and that I would like to purchase a muffler, if possible, off of them so I could have my exhaust repaired because currently Im running with no muffler/tips.

Originally Posted by ME
I own a 00' Pontiac Trans Am WS6 that has a 3" Stainless Steel Corsa Catback. I am not the original owner of the car, or the exhaust, and I understand the warranty doesnt transfer to me. But the muffler has failed around the inlet, and after doing some research this is VERY common on these FBody catbacks. Im not looking for a free muffler, Im not that kind of person that expects such a thing, but I was hoping you guys can sell me a replacement muffler for a fair price. I could replace the muffler with any other companies, but I really do enjoy the exhaust tone of the Corsa. I will have to pay labor for an exhaust shop to swap over my Corsa tips and replace the muffler, so Im trying to get this fixed on a budget.

I appreciate anything you can do for me in helping on this matter.
Originally Posted by CORSA Performance
Bobby,

Thanks for contacting us here at CORSA Performance.

I will be able to sell you a muffler…and appreciate your email.

The cost of a new muffler will be $272.25 and I will want the old muffler back for inspection as well.

Please give me a call when you are ready to order.

They want $272.25 for a replacement muffler, and I assume thats not including shipping. And they want me to ship, I guess at my expense, the muffler that failed back to them so they can inspect it. For starters thats A LOT for just a muffler, or maybe thats just me. Secondly why should I have to pay to have the bad muffler shipped back to them? Id be glad to take pics of where it failed. Its not like this is a freak thing that happened that they want to study. From a simple search youll see its very common for them to fail and come apart like mine did. I mean I really like the sound of the Corsa over any other catback, but to have $300+ just into fixing a muffler + paying labor to swap my Corsa tips is a little retarded..

All I want to do is fix my exhaust. Im 20yo and work hard for everything I own. I dont make money out the ***, but I manage what I do make well. Maybe Im just being irrational? But it seems like they are trying to profit off selling a muffler to me. Its their product that failed. I would by no means have a problem paying maybe $100-175, but $272?!

I used to get A LOT of compliments on the way my exhaust sounded, but I might just be forced to switching to a different companies muffler.

Not to mention would I have to go back thru this again in a few years if/when the muffler fails again or would they cover it? Im not sure.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:31 AM
11 Second Club

Im fully aware how much these catbacks are new. That includes the cost of making the product, the mark-up to the vendor, and the mark-up from the vendor to the customer. I would like to assume they would sell a muffler to me at or around cost, because it IS there design that failed and they should want to make it right. Selling it at or around cost they wouldnt be losing a dime, and they'd make a customer very satisfied that would return in the future.

If you take each piece of pipe, muffler, and tips and divide it up it sure looks to me like Im paying full boat for the muffler...
Old 09-10-2011, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting how my previous post vanished

Not sure why you'd think they would just hand one over because it has their name on it. Would it be nice, yep....is it realistic, nope. As far as the it being their design and it failed, etc is only part of the argument. I'm sure you've considered the many variables in why it could have failed and not that it 'just' failed. Hence, their reason for wanting to inspect it for themselves.

Maybe call them to see if you can work something out on the shipping portion. On a somewhat postive spin, $272 is still cheaper than a new system, right? Good luck either way.....
Old 09-10-2011, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

LOL! they want muffler back for free that's funny.

Can't you just take it to muffler shop and they can weld it up?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So with shipping and your shipping it back, price will get closer to $350. At that point just buy a LM1 and be done.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LPE 403
Interesting how my previous post vanished

Not sure why you'd think they would just hand one over because it has their name on it. Would it be nice, yep....is it realistic, nope. As far as the it being their design and it failed, etc is only part of the argument. I'm sure you've considered the many variables in why it could have failed and not that it 'just' failed. Hence, their reason for wanting to inspect it for themselves.

Maybe call them to see if you can work something out on the shipping portion. On a somewhat postive spin, $272 is still cheaper than a new system, right? Good luck either way.....
I deleted my first thread so I could put it in the right section. Where did I say I wanted a free muffler? I said I DIDN'T want a free muffler. I would just expect them to see it at or around their cost. The 'system' has already been bought off of them and they made their profit. Now a few years later someone else owns the car and the muffler fails. I believe they should sell a muffler near what their cost. I don't mind PAYING, but my argument is I believe $272 is WAY TO MUCH for a muffler. If I was trying to piece together a Corsa I could understand them selling at a profit, but I'm just trying to replace their muffler that failed.

They have no reason to 'inspect' the old muffler either. The inlets failing was a COMMON problem. They have since to my understanding altered the design and there haven't been problems since. Apparently I still have the old design muffler..

Originally Posted by 1996firebirdformula
LOL! they want muffler back for free that's funny.

Can't you just take it to muffler shop and they can weld it up?
I had that done last year. It lasted about 7 months until it broke to the point of beyong repair.

Originally Posted by Bramlok
So with shipping and your shipping it back, price will get closer to $350. At that point just buy a LM1 and be done.
If anything Ill just buy a muffler from another company for a lot less. The intermediate pipe and tips from my Corsa are in perfect condition..no reason to replace any of it. My point is I would like to repair my exhaust on a budget..and $350ish + labor all for a muffler is not a very good budget.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^I completely agree with you man. I know companies are in business and need to make money however if they have a well documented design flaw like corsas do with the inlets breaking, then I believe its the responsibility of the company to make it right. Especially when your forking over 700 for an exhaust I realize your are not the original owner so a price is expected but again I think its high especially when they know about the issue for some time. I personally dont care for the sound of corsa so I would throw a magnaflow on there and call it good lol.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

This thread is silly for a number of reasons. If you don't like Corsa's terms/price of the transaction, simply don't do business with them. That's the advantage of a free market. They can charge whatever they like for their mufflers.