Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mission to reduce/eliminate rasp!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mission to reduce/eliminate rasp!!

I have gotten older now and want my car to still be loud but sound smooth and clean when I daily drive it or go on trips to places other than the dragstrip. I have grow out of the look and listen to me stage and want me car to look and sound nice to me and everyone in or around it.

As my sig says, I have Pacesetter LT, hooker y-pipe and Hooker Catback. The system sounds really good now and I like the look and sound it has except at lower rpm under load it rasp and it drives me nuts. I seem to beleive that a catted y pipe will solve this. My friends GTO's both sound great, one has cats the other doesnt and has a x pipe. I know there are a true dual set up but same engine and firing order , etc...

My question is, "Should I buy two of the weld in high flow cats($100 each) and weld them into the y-pipe ( just like the tsp catted y http://www.texas-speed.com/p-292-tex...ed-y-pipe.aspx ) or weld in a borla xr-1 mufler inline before the hooker muffler. I dont want it to be stock quiet but definatly quiter than it is now with a good clean sound at wot.

Second idea and I need help with this - Resonator:

What is the difference of a resonator / muffler? Should I weld in a resonator instead.

I appreciate suggestions but I dont have enough money to buy a new set up and or build a custom true dual. I drive the car about 3 times a month and I really dont care if I loose 10-15 hp from cats. I never use all the power it makes anyways and im not running time trials up to 7-11 with the car. I just want it to sound better and cleaner on a budget.

Any Ideas?

PS: I will get cutouts down the line - One or two? My friend has two, one on each bank.....sounds perfect.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd try the Flowmaster Scavenger Y Collector in place of yours, it REALLY reduced the rasp on my MAC Header/ORYP/Borla combo by at least 90%. Something about the smooth flow in the FM Y that eliminates alot of the rasp.

just my $.02
Old 09-12-2011, 04:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, look to the Y merge as a likely source of rasp. I've seen some
really dumb plumbing and bad workmanship (like one pipe sticking
half an inch into the other on my Jet-Hot Y - dog whistle, hello?).
Even after grinding it back as best I could, up in there, it still had
an unpleasant rasp about 2000-2500RPM. And the square-on butted
"merge" looks like reversion waiting to happen and acoustic reflection
instead of smooth outward flow.

You might be able to clean up what you've got but replacing with
a decent merge might be less work in the long run.

After going to the JBAs and the SLP Y which has a merge similar
to the Flowmaster, I have a louder note (meaning to me the pipe
has quit fighting itself) and no rasp anymore.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FM Y-merger and a Magnaflow bullet (14419(4" dia.case), or 12867(5" dia.case))or Borla XR-1(400085(5" dia. case)) in the I-pipe.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

agree with all the above. going the same route here. and btw 2 cutouts are a waste of time get one in the I pipe and thats it. also, while your there try to get the 3" into 4" Y then to a 4" cutout reduced to your hooker 3" catback. you might actually gain some power while smoothing up the sound gd luck.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
FM Y-merger and a Magnaflow bullet (14419(4" dia.case), or 12867(5" dia.case))or Borla XR-1(400085(5" dia. case)) in the I-pipe.
So your saying both the merge and bullet muffler and also leave the hooker aero chamber muffler?

I like the idea of the flowmaster merge. I think this is the one right?
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-2309-fl...collector.aspx
I was trying to look at it and the design of my y pipe (now I cant tell if it is a hooker, pace setter or tsp I dont remember) and it looks like it would take alittle fabrication to get it to fit. Is this a direct weld in replacment?

I appreciate the advice and am interested in ordering one soon to replace. I have no problem performing the welding I just dont know about fabing up new pipes.

Oh - Newbie question. the headers are the standard headers are those 2.5 going into the merge and 3 coming out? That seems to sound right. Tomorrow Ill get under the car and measure.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Okay, FM doesn't offer a 3" in/out merger, but Magnaflow has one(#10798 about $28).
Old 09-13-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok thank you for the input. So I will try to order that merger and make that work. Ir should I just order a bullet muffler and weld it in. Will that be too quiet?
Old 09-14-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

id vote with the merge too. i think the bullet would quiet it down too.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OP- You couldn't have summed up my feelings any better with your post...I even have the same exhaust setup as you, lol. I'm also contemplating the best route to go for the least money. Let us know how your setup turns out.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im interested in the Merger I just would like some feedback about how hard it is to install. I have skill and tools but sometimes you cant make a round peg fit in a square hole - no how many times you search LS1 tech or go to the auto parts store.

Ill be sure to let everyone know how it works out. I will take videos too.

Just to be sure - Anyone install a bullet muffler in the I pipe and have a cat back?
Old 09-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Restricted User

I got tired of the rasp so I did magnaflow catback with open cutout about 3 ft after the y-pipe. Very deep sound with very very little rasp. I have had so many raspy setups after I took my cats out it sucked.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have hooker lt and a dynomouth..i got rid of the hooker y pipe and put in a 4 inch mufflex y pipe(same merge as flowmaster) and a 4 inch dumped bullit..No rasp now..sounds soo much better and deeper
Old 09-14-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99wssixm6
Im interested in the Merger I just would like some feedback about how hard it is to install. I have skill and tools but sometimes you cant make a round peg fit in a square hole - no how many times you search LS1 tech or go to the auto parts store.

Ill be sure to let everyone know how it works out. I will take videos too.

Just to be sure - Anyone install a bullet muffler in the I pipe and have a cat back?
It all depends on how your current L&R pipes meet up with the merger now. It could be as easy as cutting the old off and slipping the new merger on and welding it up (like mine), or you might need a few mandrel bends . If you could post up a good photo of the merger where the two pipes enter it that would make it easier to determine the difficulty of the install or if another merger would be easier to install.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Does your Y-pipe looks like this?
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/50...20-16723-1.jpg
If it does then you'll probably just need a couple of 45* mandrel bends; but i could be wrong.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

If yours just slips on like 99Bluz28, consider yourself lucky! If you have a stock torque arm or plenty of clearance, it should be easy to weld up with minimal fabrication. I wasn't so lucky.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Launching!

^^That car is loud^^^^
Old 09-15-2011, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I bought a shotty "custom" Y with my Grotty headers and it was raspy a F***. I had the guy put a Magnaflow merge 3" in/out and it cleaned up the sound A LOT. He did have to basically rework the entire Y pipe coming off the headers but he was cool about it. I think he charged me $100 for the parts and labor and the Merge was ~$25. It kind of sits at an angle around the torque arm, but it doesn't hit anything at stock height and its stainless.

I would start with a merge so you have a decent flowing Y and if that doesn't work put a bullet muffler (one of the ones recommended above) and you will be fine.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

or add a powerstick, boomstick, whats-the-name muffler in the I pipe area .... thread in here somewhere
Old 09-15-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok all of that sounds good and a definate direction to start. I will get a few good pictures tomorrow or Saturday of the y-pipe and post those up. And yes it does sorta look like the one that 99bluez28 posted. I really appreciate all of the help and response. I think I will order a new merger by the end of this weekend after all the measuring and comparing is done. I also got a pm from 99bluez28 with a great website for all of the angle bends. THANK YOU!!! That will come in handy very soon. Like I said I will keep updates and progress communicated in both video and pictures.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Mission to reduce/eliminate rasp!!