Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True duals with stock manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True duals with stock manifolds

Ok so I'm gonna build my exhaust myself and I'm gonna do 21/2 pipe from the cats back going into two flowmaster 40 series over the axle and dump it does this sound to be a good setup? Headers are out of the question for now and I keep hearing that flowmasters sound like **** on theses cars why is that? I've always used flowmasters on all my vehicles I love the way they sound the last exhaust system I did was on my brothers 04 rcsb silverado with a 4.8 it was 2.5 pipe with no cats into a 2 in 2 out flowmaster 40 dumped before the rearend and I love the way it sounds nice and deep but screaming at WOT so any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-24-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you aren't going to get headers I would just buy a nice catback. Just my .02.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's cheaper for me to do this then buy a catback
Old 09-25-2011, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

Ohh I see. You should run the 10 series? I think that is the bullet style muffler flowmaster makes. You will have better ground clearance that way I would imagine.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

FYI, if your building it after the cats then you'll want to replace the double walled restrictive pipe between the cat and the exhaust manifold on the passenger side with a new 2.5" pipe. Hey, and if you like the FM 40, then you'll like the FM S44 also.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
FYI, if your building it after the cats then you'll want to replace the double walled restrictive pipe between the cat and the exhaust manifold on the passenger side with a new 2.5" pipe. Hey, and if you like the FM 40, then you'll like the FM S44 also.
Damn, the other day I was cutting the cat off my Y-pipe or something to that nature and kept thinking. "Damn this **** is thick". lol No other spot was like that

sorry for the random post

I think that duals with flowmasters would sound good. Its mainly the 80-series thats got a bad rep on here.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
Ohh I see. You should run the 10 series? I think that is the bullet style muffler flowmaster makes. You will have better ground clearance that way I would imagine.
Isn't the 10 series the 1 chamber? It can't be too loud

99Bluz28 FYI, if your building it after the cats then you'll want to replace the double walled restrictive pipe between the cat and the exhaust manifold on the passenger side with a new 2.5" pipe. Hey, and if you like the FM 40, then you'll like the FM S44 also.

Yea is that the weird looking pipe?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP: dual 40s on these cars (even with manifolds) sound amazing. a friend of mine had a truel dual 40 series setup that sounded amazing, no cats, dumped at the axle.

i thought the 10 series was shaped like a traditional muffler (very short albeit) and the bullet is a "race" version that is, in fact, shaped like a bullet.

i am trying to find some sound clips and feedback on the bullet style race muffler right now. i have an 80 series welded into the stock catback, but it is falling apart and starting to leak.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by s346k
OP: dual 40s on these cars (even with manifolds) sound amazing. a friend of mine had a truel dual 40 series setup that sounded amazing, no cats, dumped at the axle.

i thought the 10 series was shaped like a traditional muffler (very short albeit) and the bullet is a "race" version that is, in fact, shaped like a bullet.

i am trying to find some sound clips and feedback on the bullet style race muffler right now. i have an 80 series welded into the stock catback, but it is falling apart and starting to leak.
Thank you that's what I'm looking for every thing I read on hear is how bad flowmasters sounded like **** on these cars but my brothers truck is a ls motor and it sounds sooooo good
Old 09-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Ya if your not getting LTs, I'll just save the true duals setup until you get them. Do a catback in the meantime. And your right about the Flowmasters, I have no clue why everyone bad mouths them on here when I had them in my old Camaro and it sounded SICK imo.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't see a problem with doing duals without headers once I get them I can just cut the pipe and weld in new flanges easy as ****. I was just making sure that it would sound alright cause of all the **** that's talked about flowmasters I'm trying to get it to sound like my 68 camaro but it has block hugger headers and 3" pipe with 40's dumped over axle

Quick Reply: True duals with stock manifolds