Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Generic Stainless 1 3/4" headers and Dart 205 heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Generic Stainless 1 3/4" headers and Dart 205 heads

Since I bought this car in August, I've been hunting down little gremlins and issues that have been showing their ugly faces.
The latest was figuring out why the passengers side header wasn't sealing up on the cylinder head. The headers were installed with factory bolts. The entire passengers side of the motor was leaking along the header flange, ticking pretty loudly and stinking to high heaven. Not sure why this was over looked by others that had dealt with the car, but thats neither here nor there. The drivers side had sealed up fine with the same hardware.
Turns out that Dart did such a bang up job on these heads out of the box (these heads are notorious for valve seal issues etc), they didn't take the time to QC/verify their thread/hole depths on the 205 LS1 heads. A buddy and I ended up reinstalling the header with washers under the bolt heads to prevent the bolts from bottoming out on the head before the gasket was compressed. All is well now and its all sealed up.
Just wanted to give the heads up to others that may be purchasing or considering purchasing a set of these heads.