LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   replaced starter - now trip odo resets when car shut off (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1486882-replaced-starter-now-trip-odo-resets-when-car-shut-off.html)

s346k 11-15-2011 04:48 PM

replaced starter - now trip odo resets when car shut off

99 ws6 - lid ory catback. everything else stock.

i replaced the starter and now when the car is shut off the trip odo resets. normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but the gas guage doesn't work :eyes: and i had been using the trip odo in place of it.

background: i had the same issue last year and after searching i replaced the battery - viola, problem solved. a year to the day, actually - it was perfect up until i replaced the starter yesterday. i removed a delco remy starter and replaced it with the same thing.

what the fuck? this car is a pain in the ass. apparently 99s are notorious for having cluster problems to start with.

MeentSS02 11-15-2011 10:23 PM

Yes...1999 cars were known to have issues with the gauge clusters. Sounds like you just joined the club.

battousai 11-15-2011 10:29 PM

could it be a ground issue?

s346k 11-16-2011 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by battousai (Post 15627535)
could it be a ground issue?

i disconnected the hot side of the battery, no ground wires were touched.

is replacing the pcm with a newer one the only fix? how do i adjust the mileage?

01ssreda4 11-16-2011 02:46 PM

The problem is in the cluster itself. It has nothing to do with the pcm.

s346k 11-16-2011 04:44 PM

ya that's what i meant, my bad.

so i have to replace the cluster...? my question stands on the mileage.

dr_whigham 11-16-2011 07:56 PM

Flame me for trying, but anyone that knows GM clusters till 2006 knows the gauge motors themselves are prone to failure.

I just sent my 2004 Escalade's cluster to a guy on eBay, Gaugerepairman, to get all the stepper motors replaced.

My speedo was stuck @ 60. Then 30, then 100.... It just did whatever the hell it wanted to.

I joined CadillacForums and found out its VERY common, and GM actually had a recall on them. I missed the mileage marker though.

GM has had issues in the past with the stepper motors. It's documented.

Therein lies your fault.

CHADsterss 11-16-2011 08:08 PM

Try resetting the PCM and see if trip odo still resets

s346k 11-17-2011 07:12 PM

something new i noticed.

after starting the car, all of the guages, except the oil pressure gage, will sweep then settle back to 0 before showing what's going on. even the fuel guage that does not work.

edit: it did not do this before. what the hell?

O2Form 11-17-2011 07:42 PM

you have a bad connection someplace....betcha its someplace were just worked on.

Paul Bell 11-17-2011 10:14 PM

This is a known issue with these clusters. There's a memory chip that needs replacement. The odo resetting is exasperated by low temperatures, low voltage or removed battery voltage. Back when these cars were under warranty, GM would do the fix.

You'll need to remove the instrument cluster and send it to http://www.modelelectronics.com/index.asp for the chip replacement. This is the company that GM uses.

This has nothing to do with any grounds or the PCM.

Interesting how this problem popped up after the starter replacement. Perhaps it's because the cluster was powered down.

SSCamaro99_3 11-18-2011 10:30 AM

If my car sits for an extended period of time the trip odometer will default to zero. Recently my gas guage started oversweeping and sticking the needle on the molding. Quick tap and it pops down and reads correctly. I guess I will have to keep an eye on this.

s346k 11-18-2011 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by O2Form (Post 15634991)
you have a bad connection someplace....betcha its someplace were just worked on.

i would believe this, but my clock does not reset. it is suspect that it was fine until i replaced the starter.

the car has no trouble starting. no odd noises, etc. like i said, i had this issue last year and replacing the battery to fix it. i'm not buying a new battery every year. the car functioned perfectly fine for months like this last year before i finally got tired of writing the mileage down on a piece of paper when i filled up with gas. i actually took that battery out of the ta and installed it in another car that has had 0 issues.

fucking fbodies.

Paul Bell 11-18-2011 10:56 PM

Seriously, this is a simple thing, it's not a connection. If it was, you'd have other issues.

The only bitch to this is losing the cluster while it's out getting fixed.

wws699 11-19-2011 03:26 PM

My 99 did the same thing send the cluster in to be fixed

sweet99ss 11-19-2011 04:44 PM

My 99 did the same thing because my battery had a bad connection and it caused my cluster to jump and my trip odometer to be reset. I played with it and got a good connection and I've never had any problems since than.