Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving without front o2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving without front o2 sensors

Is it okay to drive a few miles without any o2 sensors? will the car even run? reason i ask is because i forgot to order o2 sensor extensions for the front, i was planning on getting rid of the rear o2s and just having them tuned out and didnt realize until it was too late that i needed front o2 extensions for the longtubes.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-28-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes the car will run, albeit rich.

The stock tune runs like that for the first few minutes after a cold start, so you will be fine driving it for a few miles. On a cold day, it will take quite a bit to warm up the engine enough for the o2 sensors to start working, but you don't see cars coming off a cold start have problems moving around.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Thanks man, load off my shoulders.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

+1, you should be fine on a short trip. long term driving without the front o2 will result in fouled plugs and eventually a pretty gummy combustion chamber because the computer will read no fuel in the exhaust and therefore it will inject more to compensate. rear o2's will throw a emissions code that basically says your cats are bad.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 on both....i drove mine for a while with no front O2s...you can tell its running richer from the lower mpg..but nothing crazy. its totally safe. dont worry
Old 02-29-2012, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just had my wb on today while during startup and the AFR was around 13.6 until it got into closed loop and the O2s took over. That's not too rich to damage anything short term, wouldn't want to run that for thousands of miles though.

Quick Reply: Driving without front o2 sensors