Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a catch can, but not sure its gonna help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a catch can, but not sure its gonna help

I have oil in my intake(big surprise!). When I pull my throttle body off its got oil on the back of it. Usually a ring about the size of the snout on the intake. It also gets in the area I have circled in this pic inside my throttle body. The other day when I pulled the TB the inside of my intake was smoking. I couldn't really smell that it was burning oil so I am unsure whether it was burning oil or if it was just hot air meeting cool air. The whole intake was filled with smoke or fog?

The oil on/in the TB gets there within like a 50min drive. I pulled my TB off cleaned it up and polished the outside of it and put it back on. Drove to the store, got back home and decided to polish on it some more, Pulled it off and there the oil was again already.

Now to my other problem. I have pulled the hoses that go into the intake and the throttle body. There is no oil in them. I pulled my PCV valve to check it and again no oil. I never have to add oil between oil changes and it isn't enough to affect the dipstick reading as I check the oil every day or every two days. It doesn't smoke when I get on it. Or start it up. The motor currently has 160,000 miles on it. It made 318rwhp with lid and catback. Haven't dyno'd since LT's.

Could oil coming through the PCV hoses be the issue if I have no oil in the hoses themselves?

here is a pic of where the oil really likes to get in the TB. The circled area which is like a little chamber in the TB.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly if it is not using any oil between changes and not spark knocking then I wouldn't worry about it. All cars with a pcv will have some sort of oil residue from vapors. You're one of the few that doesn't have to add oil between changes.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks to me like you have the hoses flipped on your tb. the hose that runs to the first inlet on the valve cover should go to the top of the tb and the other one to the pcv valve. but if you got that much oil that fast i would for sure buy a catch can.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have it like your saying. Just replace your catch can diagram with a PCV valve. Front passenger side valve cover port goes straight to TB.
From the driver side rear port it has a "T" one goes to the passenger side rear port and the other through a PCV valve then to the intake.

I am just wondering if there are no oil in the lines whats the point of a catch can. Maybe the **** is coming from elsewhere?? Wouldn't there be atleast a little oil in the lines? I am sticking a q-tip down the hose and also nothing at the PCV valve.

Now that I remember my PCV hose from drivers side was all ripped apart when i bought the car. Still had oil in the intake then, but who knows when the hose actually broke.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The oil only goes through under hard driving conditions. Drag racing road tracks or jsut general hard street driving when your excellerating and decelerating hard. I dont know your driving style but either way if your finding oil in the tb its getting sucked through the lines. Find a decent oil catch can and it install it. It'll help in my opinion. I picked up a used one here on the tech for not to bad and it takes about 5 minutes to install. Just extra insurance in my mind.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 01transampower
The oil only goes through under hard driving conditions. Drag racing road tracks or jsut general hard street driving when your excellerating and decelerating hard. I dont know your driving style but either way if your finding oil in the tb its getting sucked through the lines. Find a decent oil catch can and it install it. It'll help in my opinion. I picked up a used one here on the tech for not to bad and it takes about 5 minutes to install. Just extra insurance in my mind.
^^^ Get a quality CC, you'll be surprised at how much oil vapors it'll catch.^^^
Old 04-02-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will grab a catch can. Should I install it on the PVC line. Or the TB line?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Long thread but it has diagrams on how to install them correctly. RX performance can is an excellent choice, it has a built in check valve to prevent any vapor from escaping the can.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html
Old 04-02-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
I will grab a catch can. Should I install it on the PVC line. Or the TB line?
Off the PCV line into the CC, then back into the intake.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah that thread is nice. I"ve already read the entire thing. Almost through a second time. I knew how to hook it up. I am just leaning towards the oil is coming from front passenger to TB line. I noticed the one guy on there running two CC"s. Thats really what i plan on doing. I like the dual can mitsxxxx whatever brand hes got. I think I actually swapped some PM"s with him about CC"s a while back.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The top hose is the "makeup air" line that replaces what
the PCV sucks out. Normally this is neat atmospheric,
the crankcase is under some suction, and life is good.

At WOT it's another story. The PCV is metered and is
having a time trying to pull out the blowby gasses.
Meanwhile the "makeup" port is at light vacuum with
the intake drawing down against the MAF and filter
restrictions. The positive crankcase pressure flows
some of the oil fog forward through the makeup line
if crankcase pressure is greater than intake tract
pressure.

That's the deal. Might put a little catch-can (I use a
cheapo sump style plastic fuel filter) if it bothers you,
but mine's been on there for years and hasn't caught
much of anything. The TB core I bought for porting
sure did have a snail track, though, from this.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a catch can, but not sure its gonna help